Are gays "born gay"?

This poll again does not say what you said. You said the majority believe that it would erode the "institution of marriage". This poll says that the majority did not believe that, they voted for a different reason.

Play again later.
Many people in the poll agree with me; however most just say the homosexuality is wrong. we don't know why they think it is.

You've managed to derail th thread for about 9 pages now. Good job. So back to the OP. Are gays born gay or not?

Many people in the poll agree with me; however most just say the homosexuality is wrong. we don't know why they think it is.

You've managed to derail th thread for about 9 pages now. Good job. So back to the OP. Are gays born gay or not?
Which was my POINT. One more time I ask for evidence of your assertion that the majority of the US believes that gays getting married will somehow negatively effect the "institution of marriage". So far you provided me with links to stuff that is not evidence.

It is "wrong" to let young kids get married, that doesn't mean that I think it would "destroy the institution", just that I think it is wrong and would vote against it.

I don't think that the government should be in the business of marriage at all. I think they muck it up.

Which was my POINT. One more time I ask for evidence of your assertion that the majority of the US believes that gays getting married will somehow negatively effect the "institution of marriage". So far you provided me with links to stuff that is not evidence.

It is "wrong" to let young kids get married, that doesn't mean that I think it would "destroy the institution", just that I think it is wrong and would vote against it.

I don't think that the government should be in the business of marriage at all. I think they muck it up.

The last thing that I'll say on that is that it is my belief as well as the belief of many others. Some choose to "just say no".

What difference does it make to the question posed in the OP?

The last thing that I'll say on that is that it is my belief as well as the belief of many others. Some choose to "just say no".

What difference does it make to the question posed in the OP?
This is a conversation, it progressed. I asked why I should care at all if gays are born that way or choose it. Why should my opnion be forced upon them in any case?

This is a conversation, it progressed. I asked why I should care at all if gays are born that way or choose it. Why should my opnion be forced upon them in any case?
Many believe, as do I, that it is the gays that are forcing their beliefs on society, and traditions that go back 5000 years.

Many believe, as do I, that it is the gays that are forcing their beliefs on society, and traditions that go back 5000 years.

But it isn't tradition that goes back 5000 years...that is a lie. Most of Western Civilisation comes from the Roman Empire, which in turn borrowed from the Greeks. The Greeks saw homosexual love as the highest form of love, and homosexuality was also practiced in Rome.

No one outside of the Middle East was even aware of Judaism and Jewish law until the spread of Christianity, and the Roman Empire did not even allow Christianity legally until 313 AD.

Christianity did not become the official religion of Rome until 380 AD...

So that means there is a 4,380 year tradition of homosexuality, and only a 1,620 year tradition of condemning it.

Neither are. It is ridiculous to say that wanting to live their lives the way they enjoy is "forcing" anything on another. The attempt to force them to conform to "centuries old" insitutions is ridiculous.

We'd still have slavery if centuries of wrong was a good reason to do something.

Regardless of how you personally feel about their "sin" or how "wrong" they are, the reality is it is their life to live and their soul to "stain". So long as they want to live that way, why would it be your business at all?

But it isn't tradition that goes back 5000 years...that is a lie. Most of Western Civilisation comes from the Roman Empire, which in turn borrowed from the Greeks. The Greeks saw homosexual love as the highest form of love, and homosexuality was also practiced in Rome.

No one outside of the Middle East was even aware of Judaism and Jewish law until the spread of Christianity, and the Roman Empire did not even allow Christianity legally until 313 AD.

Christianity did not become the official religion of Rome until 380 AD...

So that means there is a 4,380 year tradition of homosexuality, and only a 1,620 year tradition of condemning it.
Come on fella that's a tired and false argument. The Greeks condemned homosexuality, as well as false gods, when they embraced Christianity. Their culture as well as ours is thus embedded in the Old Testament.

Even using your argument, 1600 years is a lot of history to dump on just because less than 1% of society wants to use the word "marriage" to describe a monogamous homosexual relationship.

Neither are. It is ridiculous to say that wanting to live their lives the way they enjoy is "forcing" anything on another. The attempt to force them to conform to "centuries old" insitutions is ridiculous.

We'd still have slavery if centuries of wrong was a good reason to do something.

Regardless of how you personally feel about their "sin" or how "wrong" they are, the reality is it is their life to live and their soul to "stain". So long as they want to live that way, why would it be your business at all?

You can't compare homosexual marriage to slavery. No one is stopping gays from enjoying any of the freedoms of normal people.

I never said it was my business; it is a societal issue.

You can't compare homosexual marriage to slavery. No one is stopping gays from enjoying any of the freedoms of normal people.

I never said it was my business; it is a societal issue.
My point is, it isn't a societal issue. It is a personal issue. And a religious one. There are churches that will give ceremonies to homosexuals now. Therefore "in the eyes of God" they are married. States that allow it, the institution hasn't failed because of it.

Your arguments are all weak and ineffective. "We did it this way for years" is not a valid logical stance, nor does it make your point that your will should be forced onto them as the only valid stance. Each of us are able to enjoy worshipping as we see fit, even if we choose to worship at a place that would marry two homosexuals to each other. Society should have no say other than to ensure they are of an age where decisions can be made and that they are not forced into it and therefore victimized.

Back