Are you scientifically literate? Take our quiz

I would have said that maths was most definitely a science.

• "In passing, I'll observe that mathematics is not a science either, contrary to your claim ... Mathematics is a formal logic game, resting on untested (and untestable) principles of representation and meaning (e.g., the notion of symbol), logic and deduction (e.g., syllogism), definition (e.g., set)."
  • "Mathematics is a formal abstraction of quantity and logical deduction. There is no concept of evidence within it. Everything is deductive. Deduction is a fundamentally different kind of knowledge than observation. You can do it all in your head, with your eyes shut, in a sensory deprivation tank, at least in principle. There's no such thing as mathematical hypotheses and experiments."
Educated readers will quickly see the errors in these positions, but I regularly hear from people who hold views like these (they are invariably people unfamiliar with mathematics). In this article I address these claims in a way that I hope will prove useful even for those already familiar with the place of mathematics among sciences.
In this article I present mathematical hypotheses, experiments and results, in order to show that these elements of science are present in mathematics, indeed they represent the essence of mathematical reasoning. The primary handicap while discussing science in psychology is that one is placed in the position of trying to demonstrate the absence of something, a tenuous debating position. By contrast, in this article I am able to show the presence in mathematics of all key elements of science, e.g. theory, evidence, and falsifiability.

Read more: http://www.arachnoid.com/is_math_a_science/
Sorry dude but only applied mathematics can really be considered a science and even then only when it is applied to modeling natural phenomena which is one of the fundamental essentials of science that the author in your link convienantly failed to note.

Sorry dude but only applied mathematics can really be considered a science and even then only when it is applied to modeling natural phenomena which is one of the fundamental essentials of science that the author in your link convienantly failed to note.

So now you are backtracking as that's not what you originally said.

Phlllllbbbbttt of the trinity Grind is about the only one who's reasonably well read in history. Threedee would be ahight if he drop the hyperbole and his lunatic fringe theories.

Here's a test question for you. Which political entity in North America was the first to adopt universal suffrage?

Your judgments on history are on par with the commentary on global warming that you ridicule. As such, we can't be expected to take you seriously. At all.

Who was the Premier of the People's Republic of China under Mao Zedong?
Who was the first emperor of China?

None of the questions I've asked are particularly difficult questions. They should be obvious to a freshman student. Apparently, only the west counts as history to bourgeois decadent imperialists like yourself.

Who was the Premier of the People's Republic of China under Mao Zedong?
Who was the first emperor of China?

None of the questions I've asked are particularly difficult questions. They should be obvious to a freshman student. Apparently, only the west counts as history to bourgeois decadent imperialists like yourself.
Yup. :)

I never claimed to be an expert on history. I stated that ya'll were not.

Yup. :)

I never claimed to be an expert on history.
If you are not very knowledgeable on matters of history or science then perhaps you shouldn't so forcefully express your opinions on those subjects on this forum. But instead sit down at the children's table and just listen to the adults who know what they are talking about. You might learn something if you drop your unreasonable ideological baggage.

Jeebus Skidmark.....what's got your panties in a bunch?

Got fired yesterday.

Anyway, no one can definitely beat my knowledge of obscure electoral systems and voting theory. Or, for that matter, microtonal musical systems. Or modern european politics. These are the necessary skills you need to survive in the modern job market.

Got fired yesterday.

Anyway, no one can definitely beat my knowledge of obscure electoral systems and voting theory. Or, for that matter, microtonal musical systems. Or modern european politics. These are the necessary skills you need to survive in the modern job market.

That was too sweet of you to ungroan and then thank my post, lol. I'm sorry to hear about it, someday you won't even remember you ever worked there, and I mean long before you go senile.

If you are not very knowledgeable on matters of history or science then perhaps you shouldn't so forcefully express your opinions on those subjects on this forum. But instead sit down at the children's table and just listen to the adults who know what they are talking about. You might learn something if you drop your unreasonable ideological baggage.
I didn't say I wasn't knowledgable in history. In fact I'm quite well read in a number of areas of history but that hardly makes me an expert. As for science......I've probably forgotten more science than you know sugar dumpling. :)

As for the ideological baggage.....I keep telling you Cruddy......projection is not just a room at the theater.

Got fired yesterday.

Which brings us back to how you got fired. So how did you get fired?

And don't sweat the fired thing. It happens to all of us eventually.

I can understand questioning Motts understanding of...well everything, because he's from Ohio, but science, especially biology, isn't something I'd fuck with him on.

Back