Are you scientifically literate? Take our quiz

Apparently, computer science doesn't count as science, because I didn't see a single question that had to do with it, or any sort of discrete mathematics. Hell, there wasn't even any calculus.

Well, I expect that computer science majors will shortly have to think in units of nanos, so that one question asking how many nanometers are in a centimeter (10 Million) may wind up with some form of application.

Also, I went ahead and retook the quiz and bagged my 50/50 :D

I don't think anyone could touch the TRINITY in that area.
Phlllllbbbbttt of the trinity Grind is about the only one who's reasonably well read in history. Threedee would be ahight if he drop the hyperbole and his lunatic fringe theories.

Here's a test question for you. Which political entity in North America was the first to adopt universal suffrage?

Apparently, computer science doesn't count as science, because I didn't see a single question that had to do with it, or any sort of discrete mathematics. Hell, there wasn't even any calculus.
That's because Math isn't a science. It's a tool used by scientist as is logic and empirical observation but it is not in and of itself a science.

Fuck the naming ones. FUCK THEM!!
I thought those were the easiest ones but for those of us with formal science education nomenclature is drilled into your head early on. It's particularly important in chemistry where the name of a compound tells you a great deal about its properties. Particularly in organic chemistry. Same in many of the biological sciences, such as, anatomy, microbiology, zoology & botany.

Well, I expect that computer science majors will shortly have to think in units of nanos, so that one question asking how many nanometers are in a centimeter (10 Million) may wind up with some form of application.

Also, I went ahead and retook the quiz and bagged my 50/50 :D
Actually that was an easy one. If you use math in science you know what scientific notation is then you'd automatically know that "nano" it 10 to the minus 9th. or 10(exp) -9 or 0.000000001 or 1 part per billion.

Last edited:
Phlllllbbbbttt of the trinity Grind is about the only one who's reasonably well read in history. Threedee would be ahight if he drop the hyperbole and his lunatic fringe theories.

Here's a test question for you. Which political entity in North America was the first to adopt universal suffrage?

Universal? Well I assume you're talking about the Iroquois League, though they did have an age requirement and therefore cannot be considered truly universal.

And yes, we are ALL to be considered experts in varios areas of history.

I'd wager that the resident global warming nutjobs on the JPP forum couldn't answer these very basic science questions correctly. All the while claiming that science is on their side.

Their idiocy is astounding.

Universal? Well I assume you're talking about the Iroquois League, though they did have an age requirement and therefore cannot be considered truly universal.

And yes, we are ALL to be considered experts in varios areas of history.
Excellent! Very good! You're quite right.

As for the expert part.....there's not a single person I've seen on JPP that's an expert on history......though I do have a friend who has a Masters in polisci and a PhD in public policy that I've tried to get to join JPP but he's not interested. It only took reading a couple of posts by Pavo and Racist X to run him off. He definately is an expert in history. At least certain aspects of it.

Last edited:
I'd wager that the resident global warming nutjobs on the JPP forum couldn't answer these very basic science questions correctly. All the while claiming that science is on their side.

Their idiocy is astounding.
Translation from wingnut to scientific nomenclature "Derp, derp! Derp, derp!".

Actually that was an easy one. If you use math in science you know what scientific notation is then you'd automatically know that "nano" it 10 to the minus 9th. or 10(exp) -9 or 0.000000001 or 1 part per billion.

Wouldn't it be easier to say that a nanometre is 10^9 metres therefore there are one trillion in a metre. Hence a centimetre being 1/100th of a metre is 1/100th of a trillion or 10 billion. I am sure that Dixie could explain it better.

Wouldn't it be easier to say that a nanometre is 10^9 metres therefore there are one trillion in a metre. Hence a centimetre being 1/100th of a metre is 1/100th of a trillion or 10 billion. I am sure that Dixie could explain it better.
Not really....if you know the nomencature of scientific/exponential notation than you would intuitively know that "nano" means 10 to the -9 exponent regardless of the unit of measure.

That's because Math isn't a science. It's a tool used by scientist as is logic and empirical observation but it is not in and of itself a science.

You're an idiot who doesn't understand what I was talking about.

You don't know much about computer science if you don't know basic logic, you don't know much about physics or chemistry if you can't use calculus to solve a physics or chemistry problem.

Last edited:

Who was the third emperor of the Ming Dynasty?

I would have said that maths was most definitely a science.

• "In passing, I'll observe that mathematics is not a science either, contrary to your claim ... Mathematics is a formal logic game, resting on untested (and untestable) principles of representation and meaning (e.g., the notion of symbol), logic and deduction (e.g., syllogism), definition (e.g., set)."
  • "Mathematics is a formal abstraction of quantity and logical deduction. There is no concept of evidence within it. Everything is deductive. Deduction is a fundamentally different kind of knowledge than observation. You can do it all in your head, with your eyes shut, in a sensory deprivation tank, at least in principle. There's no such thing as mathematical hypotheses and experiments."
Educated readers will quickly see the errors in these positions, but I regularly hear from people who hold views like these (they are invariably people unfamiliar with mathematics). In this article I address these claims in a way that I hope will prove useful even for those already familiar with the place of mathematics among sciences.
In this article I present mathematical hypotheses, experiments and results, in order to show that these elements of science are present in mathematics, indeed they represent the essence of mathematical reasoning. The primary handicap while discussing science in psychology is that one is placed in the position of trying to demonstrate the absence of something, a tenuous debating position. By contrast, in this article I am able to show the presence in mathematics of all key elements of science, e.g. theory, evidence, and falsifiability.

Read more: http://www.arachnoid.com/is_math_a_science/

Last edited:

You don't know much about computer science if you don't know basic logic, you don't know much about physics or chemistry if you can't use calculus to solve a physics or chemistry problem.
Study harder grasshopper. Logic, mathematics, emprical observation, testing and analysis they are all tools of science but they are not science in and of themselves.

Tell me oh wise one....what natural phenomena does pure mathematics model?

You apparetnly don't understand the difference between technology and science. Keep studying young Padawan. You'll get there.

Back