Ayn Rand Christmas Cards

I'd appreciate a blueprint, then. Sadly I'm not much of a visionary...

His argument would be if every kid was adopted there would be no need for abortion. But the reality is not every woman who is pregnant wants to go through the process of carrying and delivering that child even if they can give it away for adoption. So no, abortion would not be eliminated.

Can you give me an example?

For starters one has to understand the term shelfishness as Ayn Rand was using it. Usually we think of selfishness as a negative, having a bad connotation, such as gaining something for yourself at the expense of others. She wasn't using it in that way.

If someone said they were going to take better care of themselves in 2016 and start a workout program to get in better heath well that would be a selfish act. However most wouldn't view it as a negative selfish act.

I like to play golf. Playing golf gives me pleasure and enjoyment. (Well actually it usually pisses me off if I don't play well but considering I continue to play I must enjoy that 'anger'). The people who work in the golf industry get the benefit from me spending my money on their sport.

I volunteered teaching high school kids in a low income school once a week for five years. I enjoyed doing it very much but it was also a selfish act because I could tell people I did it and I got great praise for being so 'caring' etc. According to the feedback I got from some of the kids they very much enjoyed when I taught but I guess it could be debated how much good I did.

Her overarching point was that each person looking out for their best interest benefitted society as a whole. There is a lot of truth to that.

Yes, absolutely. It's the only solution. As long as you don't respect the property or rights of others, you can never expect that your property or rights will be respected by others.

No one does more damage than leftists in the pursuit of making life fair

For starters one has to understand the term shelfishness as Ayn Rand was using it. Usually we think of selfishness as a negative, having a bad connotation, such as gaining something for yourself at the expense of others. She wasn't using it in that way.

If someone said they were going to take better care of themselves in 2016 and start a workout program to get in better heath well that would be a selfish act. However most wouldn't view it as a negative selfish act.

I like to play golf. Playing golf gives me pleasure and enjoyment. (Well actually it usually pisses me off if I don't play well but considering I continue to play I must enjoy that 'anger'). The people who work in the golf industry get the benefit from me spending my money on their sport.

I volunteered teaching high school kids in a low income school once a week for five years. I enjoyed doing it very much but it was also a selfish act because I could tell people I did it and I got great praise for being so 'caring' etc. According to the feedback I got from some of the kids they very much enjoyed when I taught but I guess it could be debated how much good I did.

Taking care if yourself is not a selfish act, if you decided to go to the gym and take care of yourself and not feed your children, that is a selfish act.

If you only volunteered only to receive the praise, I doubt you would have continued to do it for five years, but I could be wrong about you. I think there was more to it than your being selfish

A Catholic can't appreciate/like/support an atheist?

Her teachings are in conflict with Jesus' teachings, you can appreciate and support atheists, but not when their message is in direct conflict with the teachings of Jesus. He was all about self sacrifice.

Taking care if yourself is not a selfish act, if you decided to go to the gym and take care of yourself and not feed your children, that is a selfish act.

If you only volunteered only to receive the praise, I doubt you would have continued to do it for five years, but I could be wrong about you. I think there was more to it than your being selfish

Going to the gym to make yourself better when you could be feeding people at a homeless shelter is definitely a selfish act. Again, there is more than one definition of selfish.

Her teachings are in conflict with Jesus' teachings, you can appreciate and support atheists, but not when their message is in direct conflict with the teachings of Jesus. He was all about self sacrifice.

Then Steph Curry must be fake Christian then. He and his family praise God at every opportunity but the man has spent thousands of hours of his life practicing to become the best basketball player on the planet. That's certainly not following the teachings of Jesus.

Can you give me an example?

Companies earning the most profits provide stable jobs.

Energy companies pursuing development of new fields provide energy independence for the nation

Rich people earning more money make their companies more profitable and benefit the overall economy as well as providing more jobs to workers

A chef opening a restaurant because they love cooking improves the quality of food available for dining out.

Donating to a heart charity when your family has heart disease issues makes you feel you are remembering those you love and maybe prolonging your own life

In your case, your generosity stops at your wallet. You want to help, but you don't want to do it with your own money. But then you go right ahead and crow about your generosity anyway. What's hard to answer is when not being selfish benefits anyone, including yourself. Other than making you feel better about yourself even when you cop out

Except when you are Ayn Rand and you need your brother to keep you because you are dying of lung cancer. lol

I'm a 23 year old white male Libertarian who showers every week and I'm down to a pack-a-day and nobody is as smart as me I won't get lung cancer I don't want your communist liberal charity

Jesus said that government was responsible for charity ... where exactly. Liberals are sad when you try to do economics, but wow, when you try to do religion you are an absolute joke

Back