BABY BACK RIBS, TOO!

Ross Dolan

Contributor
Guille's thread, BLT, got such heavy play, I thought I might start one on a favorite of mine. (Disclaimer: BLT's ARE a favorite.)

Anyway...another favorite of mine is Baby Back Ribs.

They are yummy.

I don't overcook mine. I prefer a more chewy rib than the "falls off the bone" type. My wife has gotten use to the way I like them...and I think she now prefers my way to the usual.

I doctor up a store bought BBQ sauce for coating them while cooking.

Usually serve 'em with Duck Sauce, French fries...and a salad.

Here's a typical meal:

100-2219.jpg

100-2158.jpg

100-2159-Copy.jpg

Any rib lovers here?

I've taken to cooking my ribs in an Instant Pot where they fall off the bone and sometimes I'll put them under the broiler to get a little crisp on them. I like Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and make a couple of additions to it. To be honest, I can't grill to save my life, so don't be hatin', ha!!! I just don't bbq enough to get the hang of it.

I sure do miss Flint's BBQ in Oakland, CA though....sigh....

Thanks for starting this Frank!

Guille's thread, BLT, got such heavy play, I thought I might start one on a favorite of mine. (Disclaimer: BLT's ARE a favorite.)

They are yummy.

I don't overcook mine. I prefer a more chewy rib than the "falls off the bone" type. My wife has gotten use to the way I like them...and I think she now prefers my way to the usual.

Here's a typical meal:

100-2219.jpg

100-2158.jpg

100-2159-Copy.jpg

Any rib lovers here?

I have an Asian style Baby Back Ribs that will knock your socks off. I'm pretty much with you on BBQ ribs. If they are fall of the bone tender then they are over cooked. They should be tender to the bit but not fall of the bone when you bite into them.

I've taken to cooking my ribs in an Instant Pot where they fall off the bone and sometimes I'll put them under the broiler to get a little crisp on them. I like Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and make a couple of additions to it. To be honest, I can't grill to save my life, so don't be hatin', ha!!! I just don't bbq enough to get the hang of it.

I sure do miss Flint's BBQ in Oakland, CA though....sigh....

Thanks for starting this Frank!

I've used Sweet Baby Ray's...or Open Pit. Usually jazz them up with some brown sugar, Tabasco sauce, and a bit of Duck Sauce.

I seldom use the grill...mostly doing them in the oven. Start 'em at 325...move up to 400 at the end. When I do use the grill...I accept that I have a huge clean up afterwards. Ribs on the BBQ mean the scouring is gonna be a pain.

I've used Sweet Baby Ray's...or Open Pit. Usually jazz them up with some brown sugar, Tabasco sauce, and a bit of Duck Sauce.

I seldom use the grill...mostly doing them in the oven. Start 'em at 325...move up to 400 at the end. When I do use the grill...I accept that I have a huge clean up afterwards. Ribs on the BBQ mean the scouring is gonna be a pain.

Get a smoker...best way to do ribs. Just don't wrap them up in foil like some people do...unless you like soggy ribs.

I've cooked them in the oven a time or two. the next time I make ribs, I'll have to use that method. :)

They are yummy.

Here's a typical meal:

100-2219.jpg

100-2158.jpg

100-2159-Copy.jpg

Any rib lovers here?

My neighbors have a good sized smoker. I bring some beer, and my spices, and we have a feast a few times during summer. We both tend to supply meats we want to smoke. I had a Thai spice blend we used on some St.Louis ribs. They just basted some Sweet Baby Ray Original sauce on it, after they use about a 3rd of the bottle of spice. It smoked for about 6+ hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TTSP86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My neighbors have a good sized smoker. I bring some beer, and my spices, and we have a feast a few times during summer. We both tend to supply meats we want to smoke. I had a Thai spice blend we used on some St.Louis ribs. They just basted some Sweet Baby Ray Original sauce on it, after they use about a 3rd of the bottle of spice. It smoked for about 6+ hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TTSP86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sounds great!

Masterbilt makes a great electric smokers that does the job....Picked up 4 packages of pork belly, some tri-tip, some brisket, and some ribs in honor of Franks thread...we‘ll
be smoking next weekend....:) (try duck fat for the fries sometime...)

They are yummy.

Here's a typical meal:

100-2219.jpg

100-2158.jpg

100-2159-Copy.jpg

Any rib lovers here?

OK Frankie we finally have a point of agreement

It is a myth that ribs should be “fall off the bone”. The best cooked ribs have a great smoke ring and have a slight pull when you bite them.

Here is the key to great ribs. Time and temperature. You can’t short change either when making good ribs. Low and slow is the key. I try to keep smoker between 225 and 235 degrees. And I live by the mantra, they are done when they are done. I use the bend test to determine if they are done.

There are a ton of different “ideas” on cooking ribs from how to cook them, rubs and sauces etc. I have tried making my own ribs and sauces and determined that it doesn’t matter if the ribs aren’t cooked well.

I have watched people argue over types of smokers and in the end, I don’t think it matters as long as the tenets of time and temperature are adhered to.

There is only one thing that I think is abhorrent when it comes to cooking ribs and that is “boiling” them. When someone boils ribs an angel dies. You are just making soup

There is only one thing that I think is abhorrent when it comes to cooking ribs and that is “boiling” them. When someone boils ribs an angel dies. You are just making soup

Melodramatic. I cook them in a pressure cooker with beef stock, soy, and worcestershire and nobody complains about them. I personally hate ribs in all shapes, sizes, and flavors and have my entire life and will continue to do so until the day I die. They have a musty flavor to me.

I prefer boneless rib meat (here they call that cut "country style")....I start in a crockpot with a dry rub, couple hours.....then grill while i baste with sauce.....

That would be awesome....
Old refrigerators work well. But they have to be old, with a metal interior. The one in the pix is for cold smoking. I just use an electric hot plate in the bottom of the fridge.

I had a smoker and made a lot of awesome bbq...and that was a problem...LOL

I ended up eating too much BBQ! I came soooo close to getting a Traeger. But decided it wasn’t in my waistlines best interest.
I was mainly smoking trout, but I hear ya. I don't think smoked food is very healthy from a carcinogen standpoint.

OK Frankie we finally have a point of agreement

It is a myth that ribs should be “fall off the bone”. The best cooked ribs have a great smoke ring and have a slight pull when you bite them.

Here is the key to great ribs. Time and temperature. You can’t short change either when making good ribs. Low and slow is the key. I try to keep smoker between 225 and 235 degrees. And I live by the mantra, they are done when they are done. I use the bend test to determine if they are done.

There are a ton of different “ideas” on cooking ribs from how to cook them, rubs and sauces etc. I have tried making my own ribs and sauces and determined that it doesn’t matter if the ribs aren’t cooked well.

I have watched people argue over types of smokers and in the end, I don’t think it matters as long as the tenets of time and temperature are adhered to.

Amen to that, Don.

I used to use the entire rack way back...rather than the baby back ribs. And actually tried the boiling method.

Sucked...big time.

I never use a smoker...always use either the oven or the grill.

You do have to take your time.

Amen to that, Don.

I used to use the entire rack way back...rather than the baby back ribs. And actually tried the boiling method.

Sucked...big time.

I never use a smoker...always use either the oven or the grill.

You do have to take your time.

I am partial to a vertical smoker as heat rises but really well constructed horizontal smokers work too

Heat is heat. The rib doesn’t care where it comes from. There are a lot of snobs out there that think only charcoal smoking is the best way. I scoff at that notion

Now I personally only ever cook ribs using charcoal but that is because I am into the experience of smoking my ribs.

But I don’t get offended by others means other than boiling them first.

I've cooked them in the oven a time or two. the next time I make ribs, I'll have to use that method. :)

Just rub your ribs with your favorite dry rub and let them sit in the fridge over night. Then place them in a roasting rack and pop them in the oven at 250 deg F for about 2.5 to 4 hours (175 - 180 deg f internal temp). Take them out and let them rest about 20 minutes. Coat them generously with your favorite sauce. Pop them back in the oven directly under the broiler and cook till sauce begins to carmalize, turn and cook till carmalized. Repeat with a second coating.

These will be as good as anything you’ll try at a BBQ Competition except it lacks the smoky flavor.

Now don’t get me I love the smoky flavor but it’s a lot of trouble and effort to do right. Cooking them low and slow in your oven is a lot easier and it’s 95% as good as what you get out of smoker. Don’t get me wrong that last 5% is worth the effort if you really want that smokehouse flavor but it’s not absolutely necessary to make great ribs quick and easy.

Back