BABY BACK RIBS, TOO!

Just rub your ribs with your favorite dry rub and let them sit in the fridge over night. Then place them in a roasting rack and pop them in the oven at 250 deg F for about 2.5 to 4 hours (175 - 180 deg f internal temp). Take them out and let them rest about 20 minutes. Coat them generously with your favorite sauce. Pop them back in the oven directly under the broiler and cook till sauce begins to carmalize, turn and cook till carmalized. Repeat with a second coating.

These will be as good as anything you’ll try at a BBQ Competition except it lacks the smoky flavor.

Now don’t get me I love the smoky flavor but it’s a lot of trouble and effort to do right. Cooking them low and slow in your oven is a lot easier and it’s 95% as good as what you get out of smoker. Don’t get me wrong that last 5% is worth the effort if you really want that smokehouse flavor but it’s not absolutely necessary to make great ribs quick and easy.

I agree that for most they won’t tell a difference, but for me the smoke flavor is always worth the effort.

There are ways to replicate the smoke flavor in an oven, of course you may set off your smoke alarm

The biggest pain when I smoke anything is waiting for the smoker to get up to temp. Gotta take your time because if you overshoot the day is done. I solved that problem when I bought the BBQ Guru. It is a fan that controls the temp of you smoker/grill.

DDD.. sigh...dirty old socks...now that's despicable (*worse than boiling ribs)...I'll send a PM about that....

Boiling them first is horrible. Unfortunately, I learned that by doing it back in the day. I would NEVER do that now.

I am personally not big on rubs...for ribs, chicken, turkey...or anything. And the "smoky" taste is not my thing. But with ribs...to each his/her own.

Last night I used them to make a sauce for pasta. When I do...I brown them to the point of searing! Then allow them to simmer in the tomato sauce for a long time.

Delicious!

A lot of it is personal taste, for instance I am more of a Kansas City guy. Vinegar based is not my thing.

I love a good dry rub on anything except my private parts of course.

The one thing I really hate about preparing ribs is peeking the membrane off. I always get my ribs from local butcher and he does it for me

A lot of it is personal taste, for instance I am more of a Kansas City guy. Vinegar based is not my thing.

I love a good dry rub on anything except my private parts of course.

The one thing I really hate about preparing ribs is peeking the membrane off. I always get my ribs from local butcher and he does it for me
..a good butcher is the way to go...if you can get locally sourced meat, a better product will result in better results every time...

This thread is non political and absolutely awesome!

I always made discussions just like this, but they ended up with some posters coming in, and starting shit. I ended up with ban lists, but in hindsight it was a little overdone. Still I tend to attract the type of people that like to stir shit up.

I always made discussions just like this, but they ended up with some posters coming in, and starting shit. I ended up with ban lists, but in hindsight it was a little overdone. Still I tend to attract the type of people that like to stir shit up.

Maybe it is because you are an insufferable prick? Ever thought of that?

Could not agree more about off the shelf

I used to spend a lot of time and money making my own rub. Just not worth it
Agreed. My experience with BBQ Sauce is that if you read the ingredients and it does not contain high fructose corn syrup it’s almost always a good sauce.

On the “keep it simple” side when I cook a brisket I make a rub of 1 part Kosher salt and one part fresh cracked pepper. I sprinkle a little Paprica but only to help give it a good color. I then inject it with Cambell’s beef consume. I would then smoke it for a couple of hours then pop it in the oven at 250 till it hits 180. Let it rest for 20 minutes and carve.

Same with a pork shoulder. I rub a generous amount of a good quality mustard, a premixed rub, and inject it with a 1:1 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Smoke it four four hours then pop it in the oven at 250 till 190 deg. I let it rest then chop it. After I chop it I season it with a little salt and pepper and mix in some North Carolina BBQ sauce. I usually make my own NC BBQ sauce cause it’s cheap and easy to make.

I agree that for most they won’t tell a difference, but for me the smoke flavor is always worth the effort.

There are ways to replicate the smoke flavor in an oven, of course you may set off your smoke alarm

The biggest pain when I smoke anything is waiting for the smoker to get up to temp. Gotta take your time because if you overshoot the day is done. I solved that problem when I bought the BBQ Guru. It is a fan that controls the temp of you smoker/grill.
I solved that problem learning from the cheap ass Walmart smoker I bought. It was impossible to keep a consistent temperature so I would smoke for long enough to give it a smoke ring, then pop it in my oven at 225 to 250 and cook till done. Works like a charm and plenty of smoke flavor and a lot less work.

I do think you should all leave eating parts of babies to trump! :)

Agreed. My experience with BBQ Sauce is that if you read the ingredients and it does not contain high fructose corn syrup it’s almost always a good sauce.

On the “keep it simple” side when I cook a brisket I make a rub of 1 part Kosher salt and one part fresh cracked pepper. I sprinkle a little Paprica but only to help give it a good color. I then inject it with Cambell’s beef consume. I would then smoke it for a couple of hours then pop it in the oven at 250 till it hits 180. Let it rest for 20 minutes and carve.

Same with a pork shoulder. I rub a generous amount of a good quality mustard, a premixed rub, and inject it with a 1:1 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Smoke it four four hours then pop it in the oven at 250 till 190 deg. I let it rest then chop it. After I chop it I season it with a little salt and pepper and mix in some North Carolina BBQ sauce. I usually make my own NC BBQ sauce cause it’s cheap and easy to make.
Years ago, I used to buy the sauce from JP's Ribs close to my HS in the hood;) They sold me pint jars...so good....that location has been closed for a good while, but I think they're out by Bolton field now.... (probably just doctored up stuff, too-and maybe not the "same" ..;) We did jerk chicken last night- I should have taken a picture...YuMMM...‘.if you can find Knorrs Ready to use Caribbean Jerk sauce, it's great...but really hard to find...‘

I have tried brisket...and screwed it up royally.

I just cannot get it right. And I do try slow and long for the cooking.

I used to eat brisket sandwiches when I worked in Newark. They had a deli there that made brisket from heaven.100_3209.jpg100_3209.jpg

We have a famous Bar-B-Q restaurant here in my town famous for their huge patented Herbert Oyler meat-smoker outfit.

They use a mixture of Hickory, Mesquite, and Orange Tree woods to get the perfect smoke flavor with the meats they serve.

They also provide a service, where they will smoke any meat you bring them at only $1 per pound, Turkey's are only 50 cents a lb., and they guarantee it's availability in just 24 hours.

People have been taking their Christmas turkeys there to be smoked for decades.

Because there is not even a close comparison to the quality, I haven't bothered to smoke any meats for decades now- it's just too affordable and convenient for the pro's to do it for me.

As for Baby Backs, Tom Thumb groceries (Safeway/ALbertson's etc.) is having a huge sale on Baby Back's right now @ $1.49 a lb and they are right across the street from the Bar-B-Q place.

I strictly use them now anytime I want any kind of meat Smoked!

I used to eat brisket sandwiches when I worked in Newark. They had a deli there that made brisket from heaven.View attachment 7973View attachment 7973

Are you braising it? Do you have enough liquid? Best bet for brisket is to smoke it for hours on end, or you can use a pressure cooker, or instant pot. I just recently posted a brisket recipe on Jade's recipe exchange, if that helps. https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?88305-Jade-s-Recipe-Exchange

Years ago, I used to buy the sauce from JP's Ribs close to my HS in the hood;) They sold me pint jars...so good....that location has been closed for a good while, but I think they're out by Bolton field now.... (probably just doctored up stuff, too-and maybe not the "same" ..;) We did jerk chicken last night- I should have taken a picture...YuMMM...‘.if you can find Knorrs Ready to use Caribbean Jerk sauce, it's great...but really hard to find...‘

Oh they've been out at Bolton Field for a long time. JP's is the closest you can get to Southern Style BBQ in central Ohio. Just call before you head over if you are going for ribs. They often sell out.

I used to eat brisket sandwiches when I worked in Newark. They had a deli there that made brisket from heaven.View attachment 7973View attachment 7973
Did you trim the fat cap? I mean how can you screw up a brisket? I mean I just trim off the excess fat to about a 1/2 to an 1" thick, cover it with s&p and pop it in the oven for however long it takes to reach an internal temp of 180 deg F.

Braising is even simpler. Trim off most of the fat, cut into pieces, sear the meat, toss it in the pot, add mirepoix and braizing liquid, throw in oven at 250 deg till fall of the bone tender.

You'd have to practically be trying to screw up to screw it up! LOL

Did you trim the fat cap? I mean how can you screw up a brisket? I mean I just trim off the excess fat to about a 1/2 to an 1" thick, cover it with s&p and pop it in the oven for however long it takes to reach an internal temp of 180 deg F.

Braising is even simpler. Trim off most of the fat, cut into pieces, sear the meat, toss it in the pot, add mirepoix and braizing liquid, throw in oven at 250 deg till fall of the bone tender.

You'd have to practically be trying to screw up to screw it up! LOL

I managed!

I'll give it another try soon...and let youse all know how it went.

Reading through this thread makes me hungry! I love ribs (brisket too but this is a rib thread) of all sorts. Y’all know I eat a lot of wild game. Most folks don’t bother to keep the ribs off of deer. They think they’re re too much of a bother. My boy just killed our first deer of the year last Friday during youth gun season. I am butchering it today. I not only keep the ribs (and a lot of other stuff people throw away) but look forward to running them through our smoker. I also have some wild hog ribs laid by for when I get a weekend free to smoke. Our local grocery store always runs a 5 for $25 sale (five packages of meat for $25) and I stock up on country style ribs when I get a chance. But I much prefer baby backs. Man, I’m hungry!

Reading through this thread makes me hungry! I love ribs (brisket too but this is a rib thread) of all sorts. Y’all know I eat a lot of wild game. Most folks don’t bother to keep the ribs off of deer. They think they’re re too much of a bother. My boy just killed our first deer of the year last Friday during youth gun season. I am butchering it today. I not only keep the ribs (and a lot of other stuff people throw away) but look forward to running them through our smoker. I also have some wild hog ribs laid by for when I get a weekend free to smoke. Our local grocery store always runs a 5 for $25 sale (five packages of meat for $25) and I stock up on country style ribs when I get a chance. But I much prefer baby backs. Man, I’m hungry!

There used to be a family owned business in Phoenix, that made a product called Jim's Spices.

My wife's Mother used them all the time, for everything she made.
My wife and her siblings used them, like forever.
You could buy them in mild, medium, or hot.

They went out of business and now the spices are no longer available and my wife has to find a substitute.

Back