BABY BACK RIBS, TOO!

Reading through this thread makes me hungry! I love ribs (brisket too but this is a rib thread) of all sorts. Y’all know I eat a lot of wild game. Most folks don’t bother to keep the ribs off of deer. They think they’re re too much of a bother. My boy just killed our first deer of the year last Friday during youth gun season. I am butchering it today. I not only keep the ribs (and a lot of other stuff people throw away) but look forward to running them through our smoker. I also have some wild hog ribs laid by for when I get a weekend free to smoke. Our local grocery store always runs a 5 for $25 sale (five packages of meat for $25) and I stock up on country style ribs when I get a chance. But I much prefer baby backs. Man, I’m hungry!

Human ribs are pretty good too....just ask Eve!

Boiling them first is horrible. Unfortunately, I learned that by doing it back in the day. I would NEVER do that now.

Our ancestors did weird shit with food back in the day. No one wanted to eat dinner at Gramma's house in our family because she feared germs. All food was cooked to the point that forensics were required to identify it - despite her proud announcement of the entree and sides.

Our ancestors did weird shit with food back in the day. No one wanted to eat dinner at Gramma's house in our family because she feared germs. All food was cooked to the point that forensics were required to identify it - despite her proud announcement of the entree and sides.

I'm a germaphobe myself, but meats should be cooked to bare minimum safe temperature, and no more. I always like my steak a medium rare, to slightly rare. It has to be nice and warm inside. You can even go a bit lower with your pork these days, but I'm less picky about that.

I'm a germaphobe myself, but meats should be cooked to bare minimum safe temperature, and no more. I always like my steak a medium rare, to slightly rare. It has to be nice and warm inside. You can even go a bit lower with your pork these days, but I'm less picky about that.

Well said, good sir/madam, well said! Steak and good bacon should never be cooked to the jerky state.
It's good to find a topic like this on a political talk site! At least we still have food in common.

Agreed. My experience with BBQ Sauce is that if you read the ingredients and it does not contain high fructose corn syrup it’s almost always a good sauce.

On the “keep it simple” side when I cook a brisket I make a rub of 1 part Kosher salt and one part fresh cracked pepper. I sprinkle a little Paprica but only to help give it a good color. I then inject it with Cambell’s beef consume. I would then smoke it for a couple of hours then pop it in the oven at 250 till it hits 180. Let it rest for 20 minutes and carve.

Same with a pork shoulder. I rub a generous amount of a good quality mustard, a premixed rub, and inject it with a 1:1 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Smoke it four four hours then pop it in the oven at 250 till 190 deg. I let it rest then chop it. After I chop it I season it with a little salt and pepper and mix in some North Carolina BBQ sauce. I usually make my own NC BBQ sauce cause it’s cheap and easy to make.

Only one way to make a really great brisket. I mean really great. Cook that baby at 225 for 14 hours.

Oh there are lots of cheats to shorten it. And it is OK brisket. I have tried them and it is passable.

But if you want “slap your mama” brisket then 225 for 14

It is always time and temperature.

I solved that problem learning from the cheap ass Walmart smoker I bought. It was impossible to keep a consistent temperature so I would smoke for long enough to give it a smoke ring, then pop it in my oven at 225 to 250 and cook till done. Works like a charm and plenty of smoke flavor and a lot less work.

That is what you get for buying a cheap Walmart POS

If you don’t want to spend a lot get a Weber. It is a great model. You can juice it with a BBQ Guru to maintain temps. All in about $400 and worth every penny

I have about $1800 into my smoker but I am always smoking for large numbers of people and like I said it is as much a way of life as it is good food

I have tried brisket...and screwed it up royally.

I just cannot get it right. And I do try slow and long for the cooking.

I used to eat brisket sandwiches when I worked in Newark. They had a deli there that made brisket from heaven.View attachment 7973View attachment 7973

Salt and pepper on the brisket

225 for 14 hours and thank me later

You have to literally set it and forget it and have the patience to power though the “stall”

Only one way to make a really great brisket. I mean really great. Cook that baby at 225 for 14 hours.

Oh there are lots of cheats to shorten it. And it is OK brisket. I have tried them and it is passable.

Yeah...I gotta try a bit longer time at a slightly lower temp than I used.

Yeah...I gotta try a bit longer time at a slightly lower temp than I used.

Slower cooked meats at lower temps are always better. they warm more consistently and retain their juices better.
Does anyone make jerky or dried foods with a food dehydrator? I have an Excalibur dehydrator and it works great.
It has a fan and you don't have to rotate the trays to get even dehydration.

Slower cooked meats at lower temps are always better. they warm more consistently and retain their juices better.

Yup. Probably the most difficult lesson to learn in the cooking primer!

I love lamb shanks...but if you cook them on a day when you are hungry...you will almost certainly screw them up. They gotta cook slow and at a low temp.

Hunger is often the problem with me. I plan something that I know takes a long time...and then try to rush it because the craving becomes too much. My wife mocks me because of it...mostly because it happens often and I end up crabbing to myself about it.

Does anyone make jerky or dried foods with a food dehydrator? I have an Excalibur dehydrator and it works great.
It has a fan and you don't have to rotate the trays to get even dehydration.

I'm not into the jerky...or smoked foods...too much.

I see the people here are into it a lot. The smoky taste is okay at times...but mostly I find it distracting.

The other thing is that although it is thought to be very unhealthy...the fat content is essential for my meats. My cholesterol is aces...but I do like my fats. Chicken and turkey skins and wings are like cocaine for me. And when I cook a steak...it's gotta have a heavy slab of fat. Most smoked meats seem to be lacking in the "fat" taste.

I love prime rib, but trim the fat once it's cooked. My cholesterol is high, but it's hereditary and I'm on pills for it. The GF doesn't like beef jerky, that's ok with me (more for me!).
I also like a little smoke flavor (and garlic), especially in bologna. Deer bologna is awesome if done correctly (as are most deer meats), Elk is even better!

Any meat cooked to an internal temp of 160 deg f is safe.

Yea I definitely do low and slow but I’ve always gone by a meat thermometer and it takes about that long to cook.

If you don’t want to spend a lot get a Weber. It is a great model. You can juice it with a BBQ Guru to maintain temps. All in about $400 and worth every penny

I have about $1800 into my smoker but I am always smoking for large numbers of people and like I said it is as much a way of life as it is good food

I have smoked meats on both a Weber and a Traeger. I could make just as good a product, using the my cheap ass smoker and oven combo. 2-4 hours of smoking a meat, depending on size, will give it all the smoke flavor you want or need, the oven gives me better temperature control to finish it off and to manage the temperature plateau.

BTW...have you ever smoked oxtails? If not you’ve got to try them. Just trim off excess fat and smoke them like you would beef ribs though it takes less time. I pick out the small ones as I’m cooking them as a well earned snack.

BTW...have you ever smoked oxtails? If not you’ve got to try them. Just trim off excess fat and smoke them like you would beef ribs though it takes less time. I pick out the small ones as I’m cooking them as a well earned snack.

Never tried ox tails...

...but the price for those things is out of sight!

I wanted to make an ox tail soup...but after seeing the price, I changed to beef, vegetable, barley!

Back