BABY BACK RIBS, TOO!

Just rub your ribs with your favorite dry rub and let them sit in the fridge over night. Then place them in a roasting rack and pop them in the oven at 250 deg F for about 2.5 to 4 hours (175 - 180 deg f internal temp). Take them out and let them rest about 20 minutes. Coat them generously with your favorite sauce. Pop them back in the oven directly under the broiler and cook till sauce begins to carmalize, turn and cook till carmalized. Repeat with a second coating.

These will be as good as anything you’ll try at a BBQ Competition except it lacks the smoky flavor.

Now don’t get me I love the smoky flavor but it’s a lot of trouble and effort to do right. Cooking them low and slow in your oven is a lot easier and it’s 95% as good as what you get out of smoker. Don’t get me wrong that last 5% is worth the effort if you really want that smokehouse flavor but it’s not absolutely necessary to make great ribs quick and easy.
Sometime when you get a moment...that asian recipe, purty please...

I am partial to a vertical smoker as heat rises but really well constructed horizontal smokers work too

Heat is heat. The rib doesn’t care where it comes from. There are a lot of snobs out there that think only charcoal smoking is the best way. I scoff at that notion

Now I personally only ever cook ribs using charcoal but that is because I am into the experience of smoking my ribs.

But I don’t get offended by others means other than boiling them first.

Yup!

One other thing I have discovered over the years (and I do a LOT of cooking) is that using some prepared stuff off the shelf...and simply doctoring it...works as well as going through the entire process from scratch.

The coating for ribs is one. Sweet Baby Ray or Open Pit or a house brand...tinkered with is as good as many of the things I've come up with from scratch. Better, often, because I sometimes get carried away when working "from scratch.".

Pizza dough is another. I use to go through the trouble of making it from scratch (a pain-in-the-ass time consumer my father went through no matter what)...but I now buy a dough from a pizza okace...or from the supermarket...and let it rise again before using it. Works fine.

Just rub your ribs with your favorite dry rub and let them sit in the fridge over night. Then place them in a roasting rack and pop them in the oven at 250 deg F for about 2.5 to 4 hours (175 - 180 deg f internal temp). Take them out and let them rest about 20 minutes. Coat them generously with your favorite sauce. Pop them back in the oven directly under the broiler and cook till sauce begins to carmalize, turn and cook till carmalized. Repeat with a second coating.

These will be as good as anything you’ll try at a BBQ Competition except it lacks the smoky flavor.

Now don’t get me I love the smoky flavor but it’s a lot of trouble and effort to do right. Cooking them low and slow in your oven is a lot easier and it’s 95% as good as what you get out of smoker. Don’t get me wrong that last 5% is worth the effort if you really want that smokehouse flavor but it’s not absolutely necessary to make great ribs quick and easy.

Thanks Mott, I think I'll try it this weekend.

I do not like dry rubs at all...so I am not going to try that.

But that Filipino pork dish looks awesome.

I have got to give THAT a try.

I wonder what would be the accompanying things?

Potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus spears?

Yup!

One other thing I have discovered over the years (and I do a LOT of cooking) is that using some prepared stuff off the shelf...and simply doctoring it...works as well as going through the entire process from scratch.

The coating for ribs is one. Sweet Baby Ray or Open Pit or a house brand...tinkered with is as good as many of the things I've come up with from scratch. Better, often, because I sometimes get carried away when working "from scratch.".

Pizza dough is another. I use to go through the trouble of making it from scratch (a pain-in-the-ass time consumer my father went through no matter what)...but I now buy a dough from a pizza okace...or from the supermarket...and let it rise again before using it. Works fine.

I would hand knead a few loaves of bread from time to time myself. I even made my own sourdough starter, but left it in a bad spot, causing it to dry out. Use beer in a dough, and let it rise several times, and you develop some real yeasty flavor. For pizza dough, it's best to just throw it together in a bread machine, if you have one. Mom occasionally purchases ready made, frozen pizza dough though.

Made a good Broa loaf: Portuguese loaf, that's a kind of a corn, and flour bread hybrid.

https://catavino.net/recipes/portuguese-recipe-broa-portuguese-corn-bread/

Last edited:
That would be awesome....

I had seen this before, on another site, and they had placed thermostats in the door, at different levels; plus they didn't use a "cupola" to vent the smoke and instead they had a vent stack with a movable flue.

It can be used for hot and cold smoking; plus I would leave off the wood holder, on the side of the building.

I would like to try this, using mesquite and then a chunk of ironwood; to keep the fire going, without having to keep adding more firewood.

Yup!

Could not agree more about off the shelf

I used to spend a lot of time and money making my own rub. Just not worth it

Guille's thread, BLT, got such heavy play, I thought I might start one on a favorite of mine. (Disclaimer: BLT's ARE a favorite.)
Anyway...another favorite of mine is Baby Back Ribs.
Any rib lovers here?

Do you boil them first? A despicable practice. A decent handcrafted rub, gentle smoking for hours - no sauce necessary

Do you boil them first? A despicable practice. A decent handcrafted rub, gentle smoking for hours - no sauce necessary

Boiling them first is horrible. Unfortunately, I learned that by doing it back in the day. I would NEVER do that now.

I am personally not big on rubs...for ribs, chicken, turkey...or anything. And the "smoky" taste is not my thing. But with ribs...to each his/her own.

Last night I used them to make a sauce for pasta. When I do...I brown them to the point of searing! Then allow them to simmer in the tomato sauce for a long time.

Delicious!

Back