BABY BACK RIBS, TOO!

Never tried ox tails...

...but the price for those things is out of sight!

I wanted to make an ox tail soup...but after seeing the price, I changed to beef, vegetable, barley!
yea when I started making ox tails they were about $1.99/#. That was only 10 years ago. Now they’re like $8/#.

Unfortunately a whole lot of other people found out you can make some serious good eats with oxtails. I have three braised ox tail recipes that simply rock. Each are in my top ten recipes list.

So yea...splurge a little cause that soup recipe will be a whole lot better using oxtails.

#1. Chinese style oxtails. Braised in soy/rice vinegar with ginger, garlic, lemon grass, mushrooms and lime juice.
#2. Kare-Kare. Oxtails braised in a peanut butter sauce and cooked with Asian vegetables.
#3. Oxtail Rague with Papardelle pasta. Oxtails braised in red wine, shredded and reduced with braising liquid to create a rague. Toss with papardelle pasta, garnished with parm.

yea when I started making ox tails they were about $1.99/#. That was only 10 years ago. Now they’re like $8/#.

Unfortunately a whole lot of other people found out you can make some serious good eats with oxtails. I have three braised ox tail recipes that simply rock. Each are in my top ten recipes list.

So yea...splurge a little cause that soup recipe will be a whole lot better using oxtails.

#1. Chinese style oxtails. Braised in soy/rice vinegar with ginger, garlic, lemon grass, mushrooms and lime juice.
#2. Kare-Kare. Oxtails braised in a peanut butter sauce and cooked with Asian vegetables.
#3. Oxtail Rague with Papardelle pasta. Oxtails braised in red wine, shredded and reduced with braising liquid to create a rague. Toss with papardelle pasta, garnished with parm.

May try something with oxtails soon.

Your #1 is a possibility.

I make all sorts of stuff with ginger, garlic, and mushrooms...chicken and beef especially. Almost any dish with those three ingredients is a winner!

https://ansci.osu.edu/sites/ansci/files/imce/images/OSU Meat Sale List May 2017.pdf
Heres where I get mine;)

I cook them in the crock pot with a can of root beer,and the usual spices,garlic,onion powders,a few chili flakes.
When falling off the bone,pull out,put on choice of sauce,and bake in the oven low slow about 40 minutes.
Serve with cole slaw,corn when in season.

May try something with oxtails soon.

Your #1 is a possibility.

I make all sorts of stuff with ginger, garlic, and mushrooms...chicken and beef especially. Almost any dish with those three ingredients is a winner!

Try your soup recipe using them. Oxtails are all about The braising liquid or stock you make with them.

Wow...those are great prices.
'Good stuff...you just have to place the order ahead of time... 'availability changes, but not much...unless it's a holiday...
Only when school is in session...pick up Fri. *Cash or check...vac packed/frozen...
Worth the effort, I think...plus it supports the program...

I have smoked meats on both a Weber and a Traeger. I could make just as good a product, using the my cheap ass smoker and oven combo. 2-4 hours of smoking a meat, depending on size, will give it all the smoke flavor you want or need, the oven gives me better temperature control to finish it off and to manage the temperature plateau.

How does the smoking not mess up the rolling papers?

The braising in red wine is what I like to do with the tougher chunks of red meat. I saw oxtails at the store awhile ago, and thought since I got an instant pot, I should make some. As for now we fully stocked up for the coming winter. They had a sweet sale on meats at the organic market in town. Got 10 pounds of brisket, and about 15 of pork shoulder. Put everything but one portion of brisket in the freezer, for later. Stuffs better fresh, but the price was that good.

Not if it was a short rib.

Got some more ribs this morning...

ngr95c.jpg

.50 cal.? What make?

Yes it’s a 50 cal. It’s a Thompson Center New Englander. It was my dad’s old gun. As long as my eyes stay good and I can shoot iron sights this is the muzzleloader I’ll use. It’s a tack driver.

Last edited:
It’s a Thompson Center New Englander. It was my dad’s old gun. As long as my eyes stay good and I can shoot iron sights this is the muzzleloader I’ll use. It’s a tack driver.

I've got a rifle that was my Grandfathers.

It's got a patent date of Oct 29, 1889 and it's a single shot, rim fire .32.

The barrel is really thick and a gun smith said he could make me a new firing pin block, that would use a center fire, and it would work with newer .32s.

That’s a 10 pointer? How much did it weigh? A 10 pointer up here would be around 180#. 12 pointer would be around 230#

He was a 9. 5 on the left and 4 on the right. He weighed about 130. The further south you go the smaller deer get. I killed a doe in North Oklahoma (about 3-5 mi south of Kansas) last year after Christmas that weighed 150. Kansas bucks easily weigh in at 180-220 on the hoof. Ours in SE OK are more in the 120-150 range.

This guy interrupted my morning of squirrel and bird watching about 10 o’clock. Made me go to work. Seriously though, I got to spend all that Saturday outdoors. My favorite thing to do.

I used to own the 0.45 cal version. Great gun in the woods.

I love hunting with black powder rifles. I have this one from my dad...it’s the oldest one I have, one from an uncle who died in the 90’s and I got my brother’s old one when he died a couple years ago. When it come to hunting I’d rather use one of them than any modern rifle. I’ve tinkered around and found the most accurate bullet/powder combination for each one of them.

I love hunting with black powder rifles. I have this one from my dad...it’s the oldest one I have, one from an uncle who died in the 90’s and I got my brother’s old one when he died a couple years ago. When it come to hunting I’d rather use one of them than any modern rifle. I’ve tinkered around and found the most accurate bullet/powder combination for each one of them.
Man my late Uncle had a great gun collection including a couple of really nice muzzle loaders.

His dim bulb widow didn’t announce the estate sale after his death till the night before the sale in the middle of a work week. Fortunately my cousin was able to make it and got the guns. My Aunt, who is actually two years younger than I (my Uncle was only 11 years older), is a sweet natured person but probably couldn’t break 80 on a standardized IQ test on a good day.

Yes it’s a 50 cal. It’s a Thompson Center New Englander. It was my dad’s old gun. As long as my eyes stay good and I can shoot iron sights this is the muzzleloader I’ll use. It’s a tack driver.

I have a few flintlocks and a few percussion revolvers. I have a .50 longrifle that my father built with a Don Getz barrel (my father and Don were good friends), it too is a "tack driver." Don built some of the flintlocks used in the movie The Patriot and was one of the country's premier barrel makers. I was offered $2000 for it but it's not for sale, it's truly a work of art.
I have a Traditions Deerhunter, also built by my father, it's shorter, lighter and better suited for carrying in the woods. It's rather accurate at 50 yd. but not as accurate as the longrifle.

He was a 9. 5 on the left and 4 on the right. He weighed about 130. The further south you go the smaller deer get. I killed a doe in North Oklahoma (about 3-5 mi south of Kansas) last year after Christmas that weighed 150. Kansas bucks easily weigh in at 180-220 on the hoof. Ours in SE OK are more in the 120-150 range.

This guy interrupted my morning of squirrel and bird watching about 10 o’clock. Made me go to work. Seriously though, I got to spend all that Saturday outdoors. My favorite thing to do.

The deer in southern AZ are much smaller then the ones farther north.

It's all due to the temperature differences.

Back