Bad News

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
I just found out my little brother joined the military. He's going to be in the national guard reserve. Absolutely ridiculous.

He signed up a few weeks ago and didn't tell my mother before hand. They told him he could do intel (like they tell everyone) and that he probably wouldn't be deployed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/10/third.tour.ap/index.html

"Troops who led 2003 invasion deploy for third tour"

I just found out my little brother joined the military. He's going to be in the national guard reserve. Absolutely ridiculous.

He signed up a few weeks ago and didn't tell my mother before hand. They told him he could do intel (like they tell everyone) and that he probably wouldn't be deployed.

well it is his choice... my cusin in law signed up for it almost 2 years ago.

and he was proud of what he was doing

best thing you can do is support him

I'd be asking the recruiter what he means by "working in intell".

The way these recruiters lie, that could literally mean anything.

I'm willing to bet they lied to him. They lie to everyone that signs up. I don't know what he means by "intel", but I do know they are sending nat'l guard members to Iraq. My mother wanted to see about getting a lawyer to get him out of it, but he said he didn't want her to do it, that's what he wanted to do. He mentioned something about money for school which is BS because if he's doing fairly well my parents would continue to pay for it.

well the chances of him getting deployed in the next year are vary slim.. depending on hen he enlisted... lots of traning involved if he were to get deployed

I'm willing to bet they lied to him. They lie to everyone that signs up. I don't know what he means by "intel", but I do know they are sending nat'l guard members to Iraq. My mother wanted to see about getting a lawyer to get him out of it, but he said he didn't want her to do it, that's what he wanted to do. He mentioned something about money for school which is BS because if he's doing fairly well my parents would continue to pay for it.

my cusion signed up for natl guard, he wanted Infantry, and he got it... its a lil diffrent. but who knows maybe hell get it... but intel comes from all aspects of a army

i'm thinking about sending an anonymous letter telling him he's g@y.

lol... well your better off just sitting down with him and let him know how you feel. but i dont know what kind of relationship you have with him.

i'm thinking about sending an anonymous letter telling him he's g@y.

All he has to do is show up to the first day of boot camp, wearing a dress, carrying a parasol, and speaking with a lisp using words like "fabulous", and they'll put him on the first Bus out of there.

All he has to do is show up to the first day of boot camp, wearing a dress, carrying a parasol, and speaking with a lisp using words like "fabulous", and they'll put him on the first Bus out of there.

lol

or they will have a new janitor...

He won't do that. My other younger brother definitely would if he were ever in this situation.
But the other one is being stubborn about it. Granted its his life, he's grown and he's in charge of his destiny, but he's also young, apparently foolish and has no real understanding of politics or the real commitment involved in doing something like this.

lol... well your better off just sitting down with him and let him know how you feel. but i dont know what kind of relationship you have with him.

That sounds reasonable. But I'm liking my lying campaign better.

BTW, I've officially flip flopped......I'm glad g@ys aren't allowed in the military.

Last edited:
He won't do that. My other younger brother definitely would if he were ever in this situation.
But the other one is being stubborn about it. Granted its his life, he's grown and he's in charge of his destiny, but he's also young, apparently foolish and has no real understanding of politics or the real commitment involved in doing something like this.

That sounds reasonable. But if I'm liking my lying campaign better.

BTW, I've officially flip flopped......I'm glad g@ys aren't allowed in the military.

well dont hold back, your view is probably more important to him than both of you think, if you dont let him know how you see thing and how you feel about it, you may regret it. i know i do

well dont hold back, your view is probably more important to him than both of you think, if you dont let him know how you see thing and how you feel about it, you may regret it. i know i do

He knows. He's known how we've felt about the prospect of him joining the army for the last 6 or 7 years. That's why he didn't tell my mother until afterwards. All we talk about at family get togethers is politics and gossip (and my mothers latest quilt endeavors). We've even talked about possible exit strategies for them if a draft was implemented.

He knows. He's known how we've felt about the prospect of him joining the army for the last 6 or 7 years. That's why he didn't tell my mother until afterwards. All we talk about at family get togethers is politics and gossip (and my mothers latest quilt endeavors). We've even talked about possible exit strategies for them if a draft was implemented.

well it never hurt to remind him

I understand your concern over his enlistment (I've had 5 nephews in and out of Iraq/Baghdad/Kuwait ever since this war started) but to equate his signing up with having no understanding of politics or being foolish is a bit arrogant, don't you think? Maybe after overhearing all those family discussions he has decided just to go over to the dark (conservative) side.:)

well what ever the case... dont let his enlistment get in the way of you family being a faimily, dont let it tare youall apart.

It is possible. If you brother is capable and can pass the courses he has a good chance of working in intel. I did, and I ain't a super-special extra superific intelligence beyond measure...

I hope your brother is able to do what they gave him a shot to do. Which type of intel was he promised a shot at?

well what ever the case... dont let his enlistment get in the way of you family being a faimily, dont let it tare youall apart.
Good advice. You can support him without agreeing with him.

If he ends up humping it in Anbar Province, the odds are still in his favor. And then you'll have a truly priceless opportunity to say "We TOLD you so!"

;)

Back