BCS Championship Game

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
W

WinterBorn

Ok, we are 12 days out from the big game. The rest of the bowl games are great, but the big game is the one that matters.

Who has any idea of who will win & why?

Of course, Bama will actually win the game, but I thought I'd start a discussion about it.

Ok, I was hoping for more discussion. But alas, its lonely at the top.

Ok, here are the reasons I think Bama will win.

Texas has an great run defense, as their record shows. But they haven't faced a great running team, such as we have been shown to be. We will move the ball and score with the best backfield duo Texas has seen.

Texas has a great QB and a great receiver. But Colt has had trouble when he is under pressure. Our defense will bring pressure. Also, Texas has made the short & mid-range passes an art form. They depend on their recievers getting yards after the catch. Our secondary has made a specialty of stopping that.

Texas doesn't have enough of a running game to mention. McCoy will be the target. Our defense has played man coverage against other good passers and done well. That leaves more rushing and catching McCoy.

Alabama's running game has gained yards against some excellent defenses. Even when Ingram was off, Trent Richardson stepped up and got yards. In fact, from what I have seen on the field and heard from friends at UA, Richardson may take Ingram's starting position by the time Ingram is a senior. When you add in the options that Julio Jones brings to the Wildcat formation, our run game will move the ball and score.

McElroy's passing game has stepped up in the last few games. His final drive against Auburn was masterful. And against the #1 defense in the nation, he did everything he needed to do to win. The receivers have gotten better and McElroy has stepped up.

Texas' pass defense ranks 23rd in the nation. That means we played 6 teams with better pass defenses than the Longhorns.

I predict Bama in a blowout! It won't even be close!

The two offenses differ in their approach.

Texas is a precision offense. Bama is a smash-mouth, take-what-they-give, running game.

The break is not good for Texas. For Bama it doesn't matter.

The two offenses differ in their approach.

Texas is a precision offense. Bama is a smash-mouth, take-what-they-give, running game.

The break is not good for Texas. For Bama it doesn't matter.

I don't know that I totally agree. Texas seems very one-dimensional, centered around the QB and his receiver of choice, much like Florida. Alabama's defense will eat Colt McCoy alive... wait and see! As for the Bama offense, there are so many weapons you literally can't defend them all. That will be Texas' problem, and they don't have much of a defense. The last few games, opponents were able to score at will, lots of high scoring shootouts. I think Ingram will shine, McElroy will shine, Arenas will shine, Julio will be stellar for a change... and the Tide will roll BIG over Texas. I just have that gut feeling.

I could be totally wrong, but it would surprise me if Texas made a game of it. I think this year's Alabama team is one of the best in Alabama history, certainly one of the best in my lifetime.

Bama's D is significantly faster and stronger than Nebraska's. Pelini is obviously a great coach but he's no Saint Nick.

Of course the longhorns have a chance. Colt could pass for 400yrds and win by 6. The much more likely outcome is Bama makes it a boring game by methodically beating the dog shit out of them like they did Florida.
I think Florida would be 5 pts favored over Texas

Bama 27
Texas 13
and some of Texas points will be late garbage points after the tide has rolled out into a prefent D.

Bama's D is significantly faster and stronger than Nebraska's. Pelini is obviously a great coach but he's no Saint Nick.

Of course the longhorns have a chance. Colt could pass for 400yrds and win by 6. The much more likely outcome is Bama makes it a boring game by methodically beating the dog shit out of them like they did Florida.
I think Florida would be 5 pts favored over Texas

Bama 27
Texas 13
and some of Texas points will be late garbage points after the tide has rolled out into a prefent D.

I will agree with the faster part... but not the stronger part... especially not on the line.

That said, NE had no offense this year and still should have beaten Texas.

As a Big 12 fan, I shall be cheering for Texas, but they will need some serious mental mistakes (which lead to bad turnovers) by Bama if they are to win.

My prediction....

Bama 24
Texas 17

I'll add that USC was prob a larger favored to win than BAMA is so Texas absolutely has a good shot.

But they don't have the talent and speed on D that BAMA/most of the SEC have.

Nice beat down Ga put on Texas A&M

I will agree with the faster part... but not the stronger part... especially not on the line.

That said, NE had no offense this year and still should have beaten Texas.

As a Big 12 fan, I shall be cheering for Texas, but they will need some serious mental mistakes (which lead to bad turnovers) by Bama if they are to win.

My prediction....

Bama 24
Texas 17

Bama is one of the best at avoiding turnovers.

Also, our combination of speed and strength on D will give them fits. Cody isn't the pass rusher that Suh is, that is for certain. But he absolutely stuffs the middle. Our rush comes as much from the outside, and the speed there is awesome. Javier Arena will get Colt.

Bama is one of the best at avoiding turnovers.

Also, our combination of speed and strength on D will give them fits. Cody isn't the pass rusher that Suh is, that is for certain. But he absolutely stuffs the middle. Our rush comes as much from the outside, and the speed there is awesome. Javier Arena will get Colt.

I agree. That is why I said it would take a serious mental breakdown... they are very well disciplined.

Texas will likely stack the box to try and stop the run. If they are successful (big IF) then it will be a lower scoring game than I predicted above (likely still won by Bama).

A bad day by the Bama QB could sink them. He's been awesome no doubt, but Mcoy's been through many more big games.
A great game by the longhorns and an out of sinc effort by BAMA is all that's needed for an upset.

A bad day by the Bama QB could sink them. He's been awesome no doubt, but Mcoy's been through many more big games.
A great game by the longhorns and an out of sinc effort by BAMA is all that's needed for an upset.

He has had some bad days. But the running game will still be on.

I'm picking BAMA big time, I'm just saying Texas is def capable of winning

Oh Texas is certainly capable of winning. They won their conference. And they have the all time winningest QB in college football.

How bout that Wisconsin vs Miami game? I howled. I mean given their tradition, that had to be one of the most embarrassing losses in the history of the "U". The U players acted like they was playing in Antarctica and just plain pussied out. I mean shit they literally had home field advantage in the game and whimped out because it was 50 degs! Hell, that's spring weather in Madison. LOL

I mean to see Miami players huddling next to each other and shivering in 50 deg December weather was a priceless moment in college football history! LOL

The U lost some serious street cred last night.

Last edited:
How bout that Wisconsin vs Miami game? I howled. I mean given their tradition, that had to be one of the most embarrassing losses in the history of the "U". The U players acted like they was playing in Antarctica and just plain pussied out. I mean shit they literally had home field advantage in the game and whimped out because it was 50 degs! Hell, that's spring weather in Madison. LOL

I mean to see Miami players huddling next to each other and shivering in 50 deg December weather was a priceless moment in college football history! LOL

The U lost some serious street cred last night.

Funny you should mention that.... I went to Marquette and have a LOT of friends that went to Madison. We were watching the game and laughing our asses off at the Miami team for this very reason. We thought Miami was going to drop the hammer on Wisconsin, but they completely folded. That ranked right up there with Michigan losing to Appalachian state. I shall forever mock thee... 'U' pussies...

Back