BCS Championship Game

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
Texas is one of the ONLY teams Alabama doesn't have a winning record against. The only other team Alabama has never beaten, is Suwanee (0-1)... (good one for a trivia question.)

I look at it like this... the fact we are 0-7-1 vs. Texas, means the odds are most certainly in our favor to win THIS game! Sooner or later, Alabama HAS to beat Texas, right?
LOL Well technically History doesn't count. Statistically Bama has a 50% chance to win this game but yes, if they play enough sooner or later Bama will beat Texas and thursday just may be that night.

Hawaiian hockey team?....
Exactly! That's what I mean about football. What hockey team would play outside in a 100 deg heatwave? That's one of the really great things about football, you must face and over come adversity, including bad weather. It's as much as part of the game as pads and helmets.

That's not my point. You always want to see two teams at their best. I hope both teams have a all their personal fit and healthy too.

What I'm saying is that adversity is part of the game of football. That's why the ball has two points. It causes funny bounces in the game and that creates adversity that a team must over come. What other team sport goes out and plays in blizzards, fog, tropical rainstorms, 100+ deg heat?

And that's the big knock against SEC (and to a lesser extent the PAC 10). They play a good game when it's 70 deg and the sun is shining. But throw in a little adversity like wet sloppy field or a little bad weather or playing in someone else back yard and see how quickly they fold?

So yea, in my book, when it comes to football, being able to deal with adversity is a big part of the game.

Dealing with adversity, as far as rain or serious cold, is all well & good. But I'd rather watch a game where both teams get to play their best game.

The weather provides the same adversity for both teams, but it effects some teams more than other. And that has nothing to do with dealing with adversity.

That's not my point. You always want to see two teams at their best. I hope both teams have a all their personal fit and healthy too.

What I'm saying is that adversity is part of the game of football. That's why the ball has two points. It causes funny bounces in the game and that creates adversity that a team must over come. What other team sport goes out and plays in blizzards, fog, tropical rainstorms, 100+ deg heat?

And that's the big knock against SEC (and to a lesser extent the PAC 10). They play a good game when it's 70 deg and the sun is shining. But throw in a little adversity like wet sloppy field or a little bad weather or playing in someone else back yard and see how quickly they fold?

So yea, in my book, when it comes to football, being able to deal with adversity is a big part of the game.

But weather can be an adversity both ways! A team accustomed to playing in 50 degree 'northern' climate, can't handle playing in the 102 degree, 90% humidity of the south! Put them in that situation, and you can literally watch the heat and humidity zap them as the game progresses. By the 4th quarter, half the team is cramping and throwing up due to dehydration. In my opinion, playing in THAT kind of adversity is far worse than a little snow and ice.

And it appears YOU are the ONLY one knocking the SEC here! Every one else considers the SEC a stronger conference... Big 10 ranks about 3rd or 4th.

Dealing with adversity, as far as rain or serious cold, is all well & good. But I'd rather watch a game where both teams get to play their best game.

The weather provides the same adversity for both teams, but it effects some teams more than other. And that has nothing to do with dealing with adversity.
Bull hockey! That's exactly what adversity is about and I'd rather see a football game played in bad weather than good. Hell up here we call 50 degrees with rain "Football Weather". A nice sun shiny day is for Baseball! :)

But weather can be an adversity both ways! A team accustomed to playing in 50 degree 'northern' climate, can't handle playing in the 102 degree, 90% humidity of the south! Put them in that situation, and you can literally watch the heat and humidity zap them as the game progresses. By the 4th quarter, half the team is cramping and throwing up due to dehydration. In my opinion, playing in THAT kind of adversity is far worse than a little snow and ice.

And it appears YOU are the ONLY one knocking the SEC here! Every one else considers the SEC a stronger conference... Big 10 ranks about 3rd or 4th.
Bad weather is an adversity both ways and it should be. It's part of the game. Like I said, no team sport incorporates adversity into the game to the degree football does and it's part of what makes football such an interesting sport.

As for the SEC. Only people in or from the south east believe that. Like I said. Until ya'll have the cajones to play outside your back yard on a regular basis ya'll will never get that kind of respect.

Bull hockey! That's exactly what adversity is about and I'd rather see a football game played in bad weather than good. Hell up here we call 50 degrees with rain "Football Weather". A nice sun shiny day is for Baseball! :)

As I sit here its 19 degrees outside. So its not as if we do not see colder weather.

What we don't see much of is snow.

What my point was is that bad weather effects some teams more than others. For example, Bama is a smash-mouth power football team that relies more on the run. If we play a finesse team that relies more on the pass, bad weather will effect them far more than it will effect us. Rain or snow hurts the pass more then the run. It slows receivers and makes the ball harder to catch.

So a game that might have been far closer in fair weather would be less close in rain or snow.

Bad weather is an adversity both ways and it should be. It's part of the game. Like I said, no team sport incorporates adversity into the game to the degree football does and it's part of what makes football such an interesting sport.

As for the SEC. Only people in or from the south east believe that. Like I said. Until ya'll have the cajones to play outside your back yard on a regular basis ya'll will never get that kind of respect.

We are playing for the BCS Championship. Given the choice of respect from a handful of people screaming about cold weather or the BCS Championship, which do you THINK we would prefer?

As I sit here its 19 degrees outside. So its not as if we do not see colder weather.

What we don't see much of is snow.

What my point was is that bad weather effects some teams more than others. For example, Bama is a smash-mouth power football team that relies more on the run. If we play a finesse team that relies more on the pass, bad weather will effect them far more than it will effect us. Rain or snow hurts the pass more then the run. It slows receivers and makes the ball harder to catch.

So a game that might have been far closer in fair weather would be less close in rain or snow.

LOL, Damn it is cold as hell here also, Both of these teams will be affected by bad weather but if they have made it to the championship it really ought not help or hurt either team , I understand what you are saying , but if they have made it this far they more than likely have the full package, as I believe they do

Lets just hope for a good game

Well down here, it's FOOTBALL season 365 days a year! Maybe that's why your teams suck so bad, they have to share time with Baseball! :pke:

no you aren't.....everyone knows neither of those teams is really qualified to be champion....we're all looking at the other bowls.....

Everyone? lmao

Apparently you didn't notice that both Texas and Alabama were at the top of all the major polls for most of the season.

So, there may be some that think neither team is qualified, but most voted for them more than any other two teams.

Mott, the majority of your complaints have been that the SEC doesn't go north and play in the ice & snow.

But if that makes a difference, is it the athleticism of the players or the ability of the coaches?

If the players on OSU's team can play well in ice & snow, does that mean they are better players than those on Alabama's squad? Absolutely not. It means that their parents made a choice to live up north when they had their child and when they raised their child. Running on ice & snow is something that you learn. The fact that a player from Florida, Alabama, or Arizona doesn't know how to run on ice or snow is simply a matter of where they were born & raised.

we'll talk after the Iowa game....

The Iowa v. GaTech game should be one of the better games of the bowl season. With Stanzi back, I am betting they'll win it.

But a 10-2 team is not the one that should be playing in the BCS Championship game. There are 4 undefeated teams left. In a few days there will be two.

The Iowa v. GaTech game should be one of the better games of the bowl season. With Stanzi back, I am betting they'll win it.

But a 10-2 team is not the one that should be playing in the BCS Championship game. There are 4 undefeated teams left. In a few days there will be two.

as you say...with Stanzi back.....if Stanzi hadn't been gone they wouldn't be a 10-2 team.....

as you say...with Stanzi back.....if Stanzi hadn't been gone they wouldn't be a 10-2 team.....
That's right. They'd be 11-1! :pke:

But don't sweat the burn PiMP. Until there's a tournament there's no such thing as a national championship in Division IA football. Ya can't have a champion by proxy as per the BCS format and Iowa would have certainly been a championship contendor in a playoff.

The only difference I see between Iowa playing Georgia Tech or Alabama is by how much they would beat either of them. I'm expecting Iowa to bitch slap GA Tech tonight.

Last edited:
Back