BCS Championship Game

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
Mott, the majority of your complaints have been that the SEC doesn't go north and play in the ice & snow.

But if that makes a difference, is it the athleticism of the players or the ability of the coaches?

If the players on OSU's team can play well in ice & snow, does that mean they are better players than those on Alabama's squad? Absolutely not. It means that their parents made a choice to live up north when they had their child and when they raised their child. Running on ice & snow is something that you learn. The fact that a player from Florida, Alabama, or Arizona doesn't know how to run on ice or snow is simply a matter of where they were born & raised.
Well why not? We'd be more than happy travel south to come play in 90 deg heat and 90% humidity. After all, adversity is part of the game! ;)

Well why not? We'd be more than happy travel south to come play in 90 deg heat and 90% humidity. After all, adversity is part of the game! ;)

Playing in heat and high humidity is not something you learn. If an athlete is in good shape, has prepared for the heat & humidity, and stays hydrated, it won't have a huge effect.

Playing in heat and high humidity is not something you learn. If an athlete is in good shape, has prepared for the heat & humidity, and stays hydrated, it won't have a huge effect.
You kinda contradicted your self there. If you're preparing for something doesn't that require learning about what you're preparing for?

We'd be more than happy travel south to come play in 90 deg heat and 90% humidity.

No you wouldn't, because Alabama invited OSU to play a home/home series a few years back, and your guys turned it down. We booked Penn State instead.

Let me ask you this... If us Alabamians don't know how to play in cold weather, how do you explain Bart Starr? One of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL, playing in one of the coldest climates, knocking down Super Bowls, Pro Bowls and MVP's left and right....member of the Hall of Fame.... from right here in good 'ol Montgomery, Alabama!

How do you explain Cornelius Bennett? Played for BUFFALO... slightly COLDER than Ohio, I do believe... Biscuit has 5 Super Bowl rings, 5 Pro Bowls, and is often mentioned in the same breath with Lawrence Taylor, when talking about the greatest pass rushers of all time..... from right down here in Birmingham, Alabama!

Oh... I know, Buffalo, NY and Green Bay, WI are NOT the same "cold" as Ohio? ...What about the greatest tight end ever to play football professionally in Ohio? Ozzie Newsome..... from Muscle Shoals, Alabama! I guess someone fucking forgot to tell these guys they couldn't play in the cold, because they certainly did a damn good job of it!

A true athlete can and will play in any climate, after all if they make the pro's there is no discussion of where they will play, they may choose to go to a team say in Miami but eventually will travel to New England to play, A true athlete can and will play in all weather, guess that's why only so many go pro

You kinda contradicted your self there. If you're preparing for something doesn't that require learning about what you're preparing for?

I didn't contradict myself at all. You prepare yourself for playing in the heat by making sure you are in top physical shape and by hydrating before and during the event. That is not learning, it is preparation.

Playing on ice and snow, by contrast, is a learned skill. You learn by playing on ice & snow. It is not something you learn any other way.

If the athlete was born & raised in Florida or Alabama, there is nothing to do to prepare him for playing on ice & snow.

No you wouldn't, because Alabama invited OSU to play a home/home series a few years back, and your guys turned it down. We booked Penn State instead.

Let me ask you this... If us Alabamians don't know how to play in cold weather, how do you explain Bart Starr? One of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL, playing in one of the coldest climates, knocking down Super Bowls, Pro Bowls and MVP's left and right....member of the Hall of Fame.... from right here in good 'ol Montgomery, Alabama!

How do you explain Cornelius Bennett? Played for BUFFALO... slightly COLDER than Ohio, I do believe... Biscuit has 5 Super Bowl rings, 5 Pro Bowls, and is often mentioned in the same breath with Lawrence Taylor, when talking about the greatest pass rushers of all time..... from right down here in Birmingham, Alabama!

Oh... I know, Buffalo, NY and Green Bay, WI are NOT the same "cold" as Ohio? ...What about the greatest tight end ever to play football professionally in Ohio? Ozzie Newsome..... from Muscle Shoals, Alabama! I guess someone fucking forgot to tell these guys they couldn't play in the cold, because they certainly did a damn good job of it!

It is easily explained, there is no teaching a player to play in cold weather, and there is no advantage to being born in the colder climates, a true athlete will adapt to any climate, the guys you refer to are true athletes as I am sure there are many more from the South that went on to play in cold climates, How many kids do you see from the south going to Northern schools, just the same as kids from the North coming South

And think about it, how many games are actually played in the snow, freezing temps yes but snow, not all that many, just the same as a player can condition himself for warm weather a player can also condition themselves for cold weather

Last edited:
It is easily explained, there is no teaching a player to play in cold weather, and there is no advantage to being born in the colder climates, a true athlete will adapt to any climate, the guys you refer to are true athletes as I am sure there are many more from the South that went on to play in cold climates, How many kids do you see from the south going to Northern schools, just the same as kids from the North coming South

And think about it, how many games are actually played in the snow, freezing temps yes but snow, not all that many, just the same as a player can condition himself for warm weather a player can also condition themselves for cold weather

So basically, you disagree with Mott and agree with me, playing in the cold doesn't make one a "better" football player.

There is no difference for playing in the cold. What I was talking about was playing on snow or ice. THAT is a learned skill.

So basically, you disagree with Mott and agree with me, playing in the cold doesn't make one a "better" football player.

It absolutely doesn't , as you have stated there are quite a few fantastic players , hall of fame players that where born and raised in the South but have played in wintry conditions, I grew up in the North east and watched some fantastic ball players go on to do some great things in the pro's I know live in GA and have seen many great players come out of the SEC and do great in the pro's

There is no difference for playing in the cold. What I was talking about was playing on snow or ice. THAT is a learned skill.

I disagree with ya WinterBorn, to me it is kind of like driving in the snow, I have been doing it for 30 years and never had a wreck, but that could all change this year, as far as playing in the snow seriously how many games does it snow? if it had snowed the day before they clean the field up pretty well, and all the years I played Ball in the NE we never had a drill to learn to play in the snow, yes if it did we would run our offense different but we never had special drills for it

I disagree with ya WinterBorn, to me it is kind of like driving in the snow, I have been doing it for 30 years and never had a wreck, but that could all change this year, as far as playing in the snow seriously how many games does it snow? if it had snowed the day before they clean the field up pretty well, and all the years I played Ball in the NE we never had a drill to learn to play in the snow, yes if it did we would run our offense different but we never had special drills for it

The adversity of the winter is not the temperature. Once you start to play, the cold is not much of an issue. I remember playing in Nov & Dec back in high school when the weather would be in the 20s or teens, and I was sweating. Nothing like running hard out for 40 or 50 yards to get the heat going.

The playing on ice & snow is something a kid learns. You take a 12 year old from Michigan and one from south Florida, and who do you think will be able to run and maneuver on snow and who will slip and fall more?

The adversity of the winter is not the temperature. Once you start to play, the cold is not much of an issue. I remember playing in Nov & Dec back in high school when the weather would be in the 20s or teens, and I was sweating. Nothing like running hard out for 40 or 50 yards to get the heat going.

The playing on ice & snow is something a kid learns. You take a 12 year old from Michigan and one from south Florida, and who do you think will be able to run and maneuver on snow and who will slip and fall more?

I still disagree WinterBorn, but with what you are saying wouldn't that make players from the North better? I mean according to you they could offer a pro team more than say a kid from GA, but again how many games are actually played in the snow, and both teams will have special shoes to wear for the game, as for playing on Ice, I don't care if you lived and played in Alaska , Ya never learn to maneuver on ice, ya just do the best ya can, This week the Penn state game was a mud bowl( at least I think it was LSU vs Penn) and I saw both teams slipping and sliding, if the players for Penn had mastered maneuvering in the snow the muddy field wood of been a cake walk

Back