Beer Review: Miller High Life

I used to drink Miller by the 6-pack, but a guy I worked with (an alcoholic) drank them I couldn't disassociate his formaldehyde body odor from that brand. 30 years later I still can't. Also, the clear glass lets UV light in that degrades the product.
That's true but I never left them hang around long enough for that to be a problem. ;)

First of all Dix, I've been tasting beer since I was 6. I know how to do a proper fucking pour. Second, no Buttwesier is not heavily hopped, as it has one of the LOWEST IBU COUNTS of any beer made. Third, Icehouse is a Miller product and Millers original recipe.

I think Sam Adams Boston Lager has like 10 times the hops that bud does. Bud is ok, sure it's a ripp off of Amstel Light and you can definately tell that they use rice as an adjuct so Bud won't pass the German purity laws but it is a light refreshing lager that is made is amazing consistency from batch to batch, year to year and brewery to brewery, it's amazing how consistant bud is and that's a big part of it's success. Bud is America's comfort beer.

How Miller, Coors and Buttwiper are made:

piss.gif

And the proles love it...

:clink:
drunk.gif

BTW, is it me or is the price of premium beer sky rocketing? It's $9 a six pack here. Hell But is $6.

Stella's £3.10 a pint here. Real ale can be had for a mere £2.30.

Cheap as chips in the supermarkets though, with their crafty buy two get one free slabs of booze. It is at times like this i regret my decision to eschew domestic alcoholism for its pricier social brethren.

Yea Stella cost about $5.50 a pint at a pub here in the US. A domestic costs about $3.50. Depends where you're at. I was in a rural pub where my parents live and a domestic beer only cost $1.50/12 0z bottle.

First of all Dix, I've been tasting beer since I was 6. I know how to do a proper fucking pour. Second, no Buttwesier is not heavily hopped, as it has one of the LOWEST IBU COUNTS of any beer made. Third, Icehouse is a Miller product and Millers original recipe.

LOL dixie even gets pwned in beer arguments

LOL dixie even gets pwned in beer arguments

I think Sam Adams Boston Lager has like 10 times the hops that bud does. Bud is ok, sure it's a ripp off of Amstel Light and you can definately tell that they use rice as an adjuct so Bud won't pass the German purity laws but it is a light refreshing lager that is made is amazing consistency from batch to batch, year to year and brewery to brewery, it's amazing how consistant bud is and that's a big part of it's success. Bud is America's comfort beer.

Most GERMAN beers wouldn't pass the 1516 purity laws.

Stella's £3.10 a pint here. Real ale can be had for a mere £2.30.

Cheap as chips in the supermarkets though, with their crafty buy two get one free slabs of booze. It is at times like this i regret my decision to eschew domestic alcoholism for its pricier social brethren.

The wineglass beers (as they are served in bars) are fun to try out. Stella, Chimay, and a handfull of others make decent snob beers.

Regarding the Big 3 US Domestics, Miller is clearly the superior, as it actually taste's halfway decent. Coors beats out Bud because it tastes like water, while Bud just tastes like urine. PBR is my least favorite of the mass-produced lights, and on the smaller level, Keystone is absolute shit as well.

The wineglass beers (as they are served in bars) are fun to try out. Stella, Chimay, and a handfull of others make decent snob beers.

Regarding the Big 3 US Domestics, Miller is clearly the superior, as it actually taste's halfway decent. Coors beats out Bud because it tastes like water, while Bud just tastes like urine. PBR is my least favorite of the mass-produced lights, and on the smaller level, Keystone is absolute shit as well.

That's one thing i do not like...those schooner type glasses. It's ok if i'm on holiday in Holland or France but a lager must be served in one of these.

images

Imagine...trying to glass someone with an oversize wineglass. Preposterous.

To be honest, i only drink lagers if the bitter is terrible and confine myself to Stella, Kronenbourg and maybe a Peroni, as they're usually the only palatable beers on tap. I just cannot drink the weak American rubbish from the big brewers we get over here. There's probably some decent stuff in bottles from your way but i'm strictly a pint glass man.

I keep looking out for this Sam Adams stuff but our pubs seem no closer to stocking it, even as a guest beer.

That's a real shame you don't get Sam Adams. Its by no strech of the imagination the best beer in America, but it is certainly more represenative of American beer than the BMC (bud, miller, coors) offerings. I'd also highly suggest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if you ever find any.

I keep looking out for this Sam Adams stuff but our pubs seem no closer to stocking it, even as a guest beer.

They want avoid the projectile vomiting, swearing and subsequent violence that would ensue from the first tasting.

Do they still sell Olympia in your parts?

That's one thing i do not like...those schooner type glasses. It's ok if i'm on holiday in Holland or France but a lager must be served in one of these.

images

Imagine...trying to glass someone with an oversize wineglass. Preposterous.

To be honest, i only drink lagers if the bitter is terrible and confine myself to Stella, Kronenbourg and maybe a Peroni, as they're usually the only palatable beers on tap. I just cannot drink the weak American rubbish from the big brewers we get over here. There's probably some decent stuff in bottles from your way but i'm strictly a pint glass man.

Well if you can't take the mountain to Mohammed......then come on over here across the pond. I'll stand ye a pint of Samuels finest.

It is a shame what has happened to mainstream American beers (lagers) as they have become so attenuated over the last 40 years with the addition of adjuncts to save money. The explosion of microbreweries has opened up the eyes of the major Breweries. Even Budweiser has started selling it's original formula again (Budweiser Select) for anyone under 40....Budweiser Select is how Bud was made from 1945 to the late 70's. Schlitz came out with their original 1960 formula and it's quite good.

Back