Beer Review: Miller High Life

Aint that the damned truth...I sure do miss Davidson....I can handle the fall and winter months up here but it's March and April that discourage me.

I don't visit my cabin in the mountains for that exact reason. All the grit on the sides of the roads, the mud and dampness. I stay down here in the valley where it's nice during those months.

That's one thing i do not like...those schooner type glasses. It's ok if i'm on holiday in Holland or France but a lager must be served in one of these.

images

Imagine...trying to glass someone with an oversize wineglass. Preposterous.

To be honest, i only drink lagers if the bitter is terrible and confine myself to Stella, Kronenbourg and maybe a Peroni, as they're usually the only palatable beers on tap. I just cannot drink the weak American rubbish from the big brewers we get over here. There's probably some decent stuff in bottles from your way but i'm strictly a pint glass man.

I keep looking out for this Sam Adams stuff but our pubs seem no closer to stocking it, even as a guest beer.

Just look for any decent American microbrews, and you can enjoy. Sam Adams is popular, but my personal favorites are the Alaskan Brewing Co. and Redhook.

When I lived in Upstate NY the best cheap beer was Matt's. as I recall it was the same brewery as Utica Club. You couldn't get it in bars or the local case superstore, or even most supermarkets. You could only buy it warm on the bottom shelf of Carl's Drugs. Back then I think it was $6 for a case, which was cheaper than soda. My friends used to laugh at me for drinking it. I knew, however, that they had one of the best water sources in a region full of great water sources, and it was in fact an excellent pilsner.

It turns out I was right, since that same brewery was chosen by several microbreweries to manufacture their boutique beers that y'all would spend large dollars for.

Oh look, published vindication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Brewing_Company

Per the Brewers Association, Matt Brewing Co. ranked as the 7th largest craft brewing company in the US based upon 2008 beer sales volume. They were ranked as the 15th largest overall brewing company in the US based upon 2008 beer sales volume.[1] Matt Brewing Co. currently produces a line of beers under the Kirkland brand for distribution at Costco stores in the Eastern United States.

For the past year or two Kirkland beer has become my house staple.

Well, its been brewed in Irwindale, CA, since 2003, but naturally the Olympia area bars still carry it.

Olympia used to be a good beer. It's another one like Schlitz, Schaeffer's, Stroh's and Old Style who's quality was sacrificed in the late 70's and 80's to the God's of Wall Street and their quests for profits.

I can remember when Schaeffers was the best beer comming out of New York but that by 2000 it had become soooo badly attenuated with adjuncts that it's now more like Keystone then the top notch lager it used to be. What a shame they've fallen so low.

I haven't had a taste of a Shaeffer since I was ten, and my great uncle would pour me a small glass when he opened a fresh bottle. We used to visit him and his wife after church on Sundays, and they were always well dressed and formal, yet they loved having five kids run through their house and playing ball in the back yard.

I haven't had a taste of a Shaeffer since I was ten, and my great uncle would pour me a small glass when he opened a fresh bottle. We used to visit him and his wife after church on Sundays, and they were always well dressed and formal, yet they loved having five kids run through their house and playing ball in the back yard.
Reminds me of my great uncle who was a farmer in Indiana. His farm was a stone throw from the Wabash river. He was a hoot....like a cross between John the Baptist and Uncle Buck....never a dull moment when he was around. His wife, my Aunt was one of the best cooks I've ever had the good fortune to have serve me a meal......goodness could she set a table! Her Chicken and dumplings were to die for which was good because after eating her blueberry cobbler.....you knew you were in heaven!

Reminds me of my great uncle who was a farmer in Indiana. His farm was a stone throw from the Wabash river. He was a hoot....like a cross between John the Baptist and Uncle Buck....never a dull moment when he was around. His wife, my Aunt was one of the best cooks I've ever had the good fortune to have serve me a meal......goodness could she set a table! Her Chicken and dumplings were to die for which was good because after eating her blueberry cobbler.....you knew you were in heaven!

I don't ever recalling my great Aunt cooking. I do remember her size 13 shoes through and that she was 6" or so taller than her husband- then add in gray-blonde hair piled as high as the door frames. She was in her 70's when I knew her but they had plenty of pictures around the house of them in their younger years and she was one good looking woman, probably a "tower of love" for my uncle.

First of all Dix, I've been tasting beer since I was 6. I know how to do a proper fucking pour. Second, no Buttwesier is not heavily hopped, as it has one of the LOWEST IBU COUNTS of any beer made. Third, Icehouse is a Miller product and Millers original recipe.

*sigh* ..I wasn't trying to tell YOU how to do a proper pour. Next, I stand corrected, I meant to say Bud uses a lot of malt, not hops, which explains the low IBU....and Finally, I never said that Miller products suck, I routinely drink Miller AND Budweiser products, and Sam Adams, and a variety of other kinds of beer. My analysis of Bud vs. Miller, was between the regular Budweiser and the regular Miller High Life beers, not other products.

Between any Bud and Miller product, Miller wins hands down. And Miller is now more American than Bud, as well... :cof1:

Miller wins because it's more of a true pilzner. To the casual beer drinker, the taste is more pleasing because of this, but if you become 'acclimated' to the taste of Bud, you can understand why it's better beer than Miller. It has more body, more flavor, and is smoother, after you have become accustomed to drinking it. If you drink a Bud once a weekend or something, you won't appreciate it, and you will probably think warm horse piss is better.

Life's too short to drink cheap beer, no matter what. Period. End of discussion.

You want refreshment after a day of welding? May I suggest Moose Drool Brown Ale from the Big Sky Brewing Company?

Between any Bud and Miller product, Miller wins hands down. And Miller is now more American than Bud, as well... :cof1:

For what their trying to do, suit the tastes of a few hundred million people at a reasonable price......they don't make a bad product. Their both good drinkable beers. If I'm going out with some friends for some drinks and all the cash I have left is a $20......I'm gonna drink a Bud or a Miller.....If I have a few hundred in my pocket and a few grand in the bank.....I'll probably pay more for something better if it's available.

Miller wins because it's more of a true pilzner. To the casual beer drinker, the taste is more pleasing because of this, but if you become 'acclimated' to the taste of Bud, you can understand why it's better beer than Miller. It has more body, more flavor, and is smoother, after you have become accustomed to drinking it. If you drink a Bud once a weekend or something, you won't appreciate it, and you will probably think warm horse piss is better.

I can drink both. The best feature Bud has for it is it's combination of mouthfeel and drinkability. I drink Bud in the bottle cause if I drink it in a glass.....three pulls of the glass and it's empty. On flavor I think Miller has a more pronounced full flavor and the excess carbonation gives it a more full aroma and a livelier mouthfeel.......but on drinkability, what you call smoothness, I give the edge to Bud. It's a very drinkable beer.....it's just not very flavorful......at least to me. Then again if they made it more flavorful.....we'd be paying more for it.....like Bud Select.

Look, the fact is, is that most American mainstream lagers are weak, watered down brews made they way they are to reduce cost and increase profits. Not exactly what I call a formula for improving quality. Mass brewed is great when money's tight......but when you got some jack in your pocket, lifes to freaken short man.....drink something good! I just got off the phone with the little woman, she's dropping by Kroger's, on the way home, and picking me up a local keillerbeir.......It's Friday....just got paid....life is good. :)

Back