Beer Review: Miller High Life

BTW, I am going to use that pun, perhabst, from now on when discussing beer (assuming I have a reason to use the word "perhaps", of course)!! :clink:

Look, the fact is, is that most American mainstream lagers are weak, watered down brews made they way they are to reduce cost and increase profits. Not exactly what I call a formula for improving quality. Mass brewed is great when money's tight......but when you got some jack in your pocket, lifes to freaken short man.....drink something good! I just got off the phone with the little woman, she's dropping by Kroger's, on the way home, and picking me up a local keillerbeir.......It's Friday....just got paid....life is good. :)

My understanding is, and I could be wrong, but American brews are weak compared to European style beer, because back when Americans first began brewing beer, the ingredients were scarce, and brewers simply couldn't meet the demand for beer with what they had available, so they began watering it down. Beer was weaker than what they were used to, but supply met demand and it was better than no beer. Through the years, as we expanded, there was plenty of land to grow the ingredients, but people had grown accustomed to the weaker beer, and it stuck around.

My understanding is, and I could be wrong, but American brews are weak compared to European style beer, because back when Americans first began brewing beer, the ingredients were scarce, and brewers simply couldn't meet the demand for beer with what they had available, so they began watering it down. Beer was weaker than what they were used to, but supply met demand and it was better than no beer. Through the years, as we expanded, there was plenty of land to grow the ingredients, but people had grown accustomed to the weaker beer, and it stuck around.
Not really. Euro beer is the same as American beer as far as ABV is concerned. American beer changed after prohibition. You dry quenching the thirst of nearly 100,000,000 Americans who've been jonesing for 13 years. You need A LOT of beer. And the dust bowl didn't help with certain crops, along with the depression. So basically the major brewers, the ones that didn't crumble, started using adjunct in beer in order to expedite the brewing process, as well as switching to lower quality barely, which was cheaper to buy and grow.

Not really. Euro beer is the same as American beer as far as ABV is concerned. American beer changed after prohibition. You dry quenching the thirst of nearly 100,000,000 Americans who've been jonesing for 13 years. You need A LOT of beer. And the dust bowl didn't help with certain crops, along with the depression. So basically the major brewers, the ones that didn't crumble, started using adjunct in beer in order to expedite the brewing process, as well as switching to lower quality barely, which was cheaper to buy and grow.

Wasn't speaking of ABV, although, most European beer is higher ABV than American, as a matter of local ordinance. It's the flavor and body, you can ferment anything and get alcohol. It was the shortage of ingredients which caused brewers to create American-style beer, a weaker and paler brew than the typical European beer. You are probably correct about prohibition, and meeting the post-prohibition demands, but then, when did large scale mass-production of beer begin? Before prohibition, beer wasn't largely made, they could make hard liquor easier, and it was always considered 'low brow' or 'redneck' back then, to even drink beer. The elites drank wine and liquor, and ironically, still do. Beer was/is the drink of the average Joe.

Wasn't speaking of ABV, although, most European beer is higher ABV than American, as a matter of local ordinance. It's the flavor and body, you can ferment anything and get alcohol. It was the shortage of ingredients which caused brewers to create American-style beer, a weaker and paler brew than the typical European beer. You are probably correct about prohibition, and meeting the post-prohibition demands, but then, when did large scale mass-production of beer begin? Before prohibition, beer wasn't largely made, they could make hard liquor easier, and it was always considered 'low brow' or 'redneck' back then, to even drink beer. The elites drank wine and liquor, and ironically, still do. Beer was/is the drink of the average Joe.

Actually beer brewing was a necessity of early America. Because you had to boil th wort, it was far cleaner than drinking water. The pinnical of American brewing occured in the mid 1800s. A large surge of German immigrants brought the love of lager beer, as opposed to English ale styles, to our shores. This lead to the creations of the American macros, as for the first time beer was able to be brewed and travel to the population at large. This were 1st generation Germans (Pabst, Schlitz, Miller, Busch, Yuengling), so you better believe they used the finest of ingrediants. Like I said earlier. It wasn't until prohibition, the dust bowl, and the great depression all hit at the same time (fuck the 30s) that macro American beer changed.

And no, the ABV is pretty much the same between the two continents (same goes for Canadian beer too). 5.4% is the standard.

In terms of the company it is owned by. I assume all of the American breweries are still up and running, although it would be nice if some opened in Belgium and brewed new, better flavours with the Bud label. I might actually drink some, then.
Supposedly the American Ale that they make on occasion is supposedly is highly praised, even among Beer Advocates.

BTW, I am going to use that pun, perhabst, from now on when discussing beer (assuming I have a reason to use the word "perhaps", of course)!! :clink:

Three, i heartily urge you to use the word 'perhabst' rather than 'perhaps' in everyday conversation in our internets home here at all times.

Thus, given time, it shall be adopted by all users (well, the important ones anyway) and become the first JPPism unleashed on the world.

Good theory, but the first part of it doesn't hold water. Otherwise American whiskeys would be weak also.

I think the reason is that before chlorination and reliable municipal water supplies working folks drank beer during the day to stay hydrated. Obviously a watered down beer was very desirable.

Three, i heartily urge you to use the word 'perhabst' rather than 'perhaps' in everyday conversation in our internets home here at all times.

Thus, given time, it shall be adopted by all users (well, the important ones anyway) and become the first JPPism unleashed on the world.

Perhabst that will work out!! :clink:

Back