Bought & Paid For

Umm I was referring to TX presidents from LBJ in this direction....

Eisenhower pretty much got us into Nam didn't he ? providing equipment and weapons to the French in "indochina"
But he did not get us into Viet Nam. It took another President to do that. John F. Kennedy increased the troop count from 500 to 16,000, then staged a coup then he was assassinated. LBJ took us in there. Supporting the French with money is much like saying that Japan is going to take over in Iraq because they gave cash to the effort in Iraq.

But he did not get us into Viet Nam. It took another President to do that. John F. Kennedy increased the troop count from 500 to 16,000, then staged a coup then he was assassinated. LBJ took us in there. Supporting the French with money is much like saying that Japan is going to take over in Iraq because they gave cash to the effort in Iraq.

"John F. Kennedy increased the troop count from 500 to 16,000"

Increased the troop count ? hmm there must have been some there to increase from, but kennedy got us in there ?

I have several friends in TX, but none of them are politicians :D

Aren't you a Canadian, eh ?

Yah, eh! But the paperwork is in progress (note I now pronounce that with the short "o"!):p to change that. :)

By now just about the only giveaway is when I say "orange" or "sorry". I even say "zee", not "zed" for the last letter of the alphabet. :)

"John F. Kennedy increased the troop count from 500 to 16,000"

Increased the troop count ? hmm there must have been some there to increase from, but kennedy got us in there ?
Yes, Kennedy got us in there. He put the first 500 in as well. I was just putting forward a timeline. From 500 he increased it to 16,300 (more accurate now) just before promoting and ordering a coup. After the assassination of Diem, Kennedy was assassinated 3 weeks later.

Kennedy put us there, Eisenhower spent money on it. It took more than one President to start that mess.

Yes, Kennedy got us in there. He put the first 500 in as well. I was just putting forward a timeline. From 500 he increased it to 16,300 (more accurate now) just before promoting and ordering a coup. After the assassination of Diem, Kennedy was assassinated 3 weeks later.

Kennedy put us there, Eisenhower spent money on it. It took more than one President to start that mess.

Actually if you read the Eisenhower/Kennedy papers ie: The Vietnam era war...well Eisenhower was making an attempt to rectify the firing of General MacArthur during the Korean War...if Mac Arthur was allowed to cross the 38th parrallel and finish the Korean War...well we never would have been involved in VN...So the actual blame goes back to politicians sticking their proverbial noses in a Generals war...end of story!

Actually if you read the Eisenhower/Kennedy papers ie: The Vietnam era war...well Eisenhower was making an attempt to rectify the firing of General MacArthur during the Korean War...if Mac Arthur was allowed to cross the 38th parrallel and finish the Korean War...well we never would have been involved in VN...So the actual blame goes back to politicians sticking their proverbial noses in a Generals war...end of story!
Uhm, no. Not "end of story" at all. That's the problem with conservatives in general: they're constantly asserting things like "if we'd only finished the Korean War as we should, then we'd all be living 150 years on the average and be filthy stinking rich" or some such fantastical nonsense.

You simply do not know what would have happened had the megalomaniac MacArthur been cut loose in 1951 to masturbate his way up the peninsula. It's entirely possible that everyone in both Korea and Vietnam would be speaking Mandarin Chinese today.

Tin-plated dictators with delusions of godhood are weak hooks on which to hang one's coat.

We abandon Nam and now bush is free to walk around over there in Jammies.
So why would Iraq be different if we left ?

Oh Brother....!

We abandon Nam and now bush is free to walk around over there in Jammies.
So why would Iraq be different if we left ?

I suppose if we all converted to Islam...well maybe we could walk around Iraq,Syria and Iran in "Jammies"...with our wives and daughters in tow under Burkas...:rolleyes:

You're entitled to your opinion!

Uhm, no. Not "end of story" at all. That's the problem with conservatives in general: they're constantly asserting things like "if we'd only finished the Korean War as we should, then we'd all be living 150 years on the average and be filthy stinking rich" or some such fantastical nonsense.

You simply do not know what would have happened had the megalomaniac MacArthur been cut loose in 1951 to masturbate his way up the peninsula. It's entirely possible that everyone in both Korea and Vietnam would be speaking Mandarin Chinese today.

Tin-plated dictators with delusions of godhood are weak hooks on which to hang one's coat.

I disagree with your assessment of MacArthur and what he could have accomplished!

Still fuzzy to me BB.
We pulled out of Nam against republican wished and warnings, now a neo republican goes over there promoting trade, why would puling out of Iraq be any different ?

Still fuzzy to me BB.
We pulled out of Nam against republican wished and warnings, now a neo republican goes over there promoting trade, why would puling out of Iraq be any different ?
Were any of the warnings accurate? If so, which ones?

Well...

Still fuzzy to me BB.

Your comment is probably true...however when we pulled out of 'Nam'...the NVA had no desire to continue killing US troops...they only fought for what they 'perceived' as right...now in the case of 'Islam'...the killing will continue even after a exit...by the way a blood bath would occur as troops started a pull out in Iraq...how do we protect our troops on convoy out of country...the only logical answer would be to hit em' hard and where it hurts prior to the exit...I'm sorry but this is a religious war...a 'Crusade'..like it or not...it will not end until Islam or the West wins...sorry but this is a fact!

Well...

And why do they (islamic extremesits) hate us BB ?
Are their attitudes in any way justified ?

Take a little trip back into history...say 7th Century and move forward...nothing has changed...Islam has been rebourne again..after the 'Ottoman Empire'...do you really believe that Islam is a peaceful religion???
C'mon dude do the research...Islams goal is world domination...pure and simple
...I admire the contributions that the Middle East made..way back when...before the radiacalization of a 7th Century religion...they did give us written language and Algebra...where did they go wrong...simple they failed to move forward in the 21st Century...until and unless they see the error of their ways this will continue...the blame goes to them...imho!;)

Back