Burgers!

Had some ground American Kobe Beef hamburgers and they turned out horrible. First tried on the Treager, then cast iron over the stove and screwed them up both times.

The fat content was above 20 iirc.

I am not a great burger chef by any means, however I've never messed up burgers like that. Dry, and not very flavorful. Wasn't that much more than regular beef, which I'm sticking to now.

Anyone had experience with that meat?

With hamburgers, you want a certain amount of fat.

The lower the fat content, the drier the burger.

Douse them good with soy sauce or Dale's Sauce (glorified soy sauce) and black pepper is great seasoning.

And don't press down on them with the spatula too much while they're cooking, either. Squeezes the juice out of them.

Douse them good with soy sauce or Dale's Sauce (glorified soy sauce) and black pepper is great seasoning.

I love Dale's .. My daughter introduced it.

I love Dale's .. My daughter introduced it.

Same here. It's just soy sauce with some molasses or something similar that gives it a little hint of sweetness.

Great for burgers and steaks though.

Pork chops, too.

Same here. It's just soy sauce with some molasses or something similar that gives it a little hint of sweetness.

Great for burgers and steaks though.

Pork chops, too.

I have tried it on pork chops..

I started brineing my chops in the refrigerator for 12 hours before cooking.. Makes them tender enough to cut with a fork.

Had some ground American Kobe Beef hamburgers and they turned out horrible. First tried on the Treager, then cast iron over the stove and screwed them up both times.

I am not a great burger chef by any means, however I've never messed up burgers like that. Dry, and not very flavorful. Wasn't that much more than regular beef, which I'm sticking to now.

You might have over mixed the meat. American Kobe usually sucks though.

And don't press down on them with the spatula too much while they're cooking, either. Squeezes the juice out of them.

Never heard of Dale's sauce, will look it up.

And, you're, never ever press down on them. That is fast food style and not good fast food.

I think you're right, never going to get it again. Just saw it in the store and was like, meh, why not, never had it.....

It's great if you can get actual Japanese stuff, but in America there is no industrial standard for it so it's usually shit.

If you can find it, you want to use Piedmont beef. It's very lean, but incredibly tender and makes for a amazing burger.

It's great if you can get actual Japanese stuff, but in America there is no industrial standard for it so it's usually shit.

If you can find it, you want to use Piedmont beef. It's very lean, but incredibly tender and makes for a amazing burger.

Never heard of it. Thanks for the tip.

I go for 20% fat...and I usually mix in some smoked BBQ sauce into the meat before frying.

In summer...it is the BBQ. When inclement or during the winter...I cook 'em in a Dutch oven over very high heat. Lotsa smoke...but the burgers taste better if charred on the outside.

Nice slice of Vadalia onion...a few bread & butter pickle slices...and a slice of cheese (I prefer swiss). Umm, umm...good.

Where do you get it at, a specialty store or a regular grocery store? After reading about it, you've got me intrigued.

I have a butcher I go to for it. Shit isn't cheap either. Around $9 a pound. Most of your "exotic" or high quality meats you have to get from a butcher or online.

I have a butcher I go to for it. Shit isn't cheap either. Around $9 a pound. Most of your "exotic" or high quality meats you have to get from a butcher or online.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a butcher, I basically shop in the normal stores. I've never bought raw meat online, how does that work? Is it frozen?

Yes, Kobe/Waygu beef is highly marbled. If you cough up the coin to buy it again get a medium to course grind. 20% fat content is about as low as you want to go. If flavor is what you're after get 30%. When you grill or fry the patties don't over cook them. That defeats the purpose of buying an expensive grade like Kobe/Waygu. I wouldn't cook the patties past medium. Medium well will be sort of dry and will lose a lot of flavor. Well done is ruined. If you gotta have your hamburger well done don't buy Kobe/Waygu...you're wasting your money.

Also, before grilling or frying let the beef come to room temperature, get your grill or cast iron skillet smoking hot and season your patties just before dropping them on the grill or skillet. This will enhance the maillard reaction. That's the brown crust that forms on the meat. Loads of flavor there. When you drop the patty onto the super hot grill/skillet you only want to flip once. Usually, at first, the pattie will stick. Just let it be. When the maillard reaction has completed it will loosen up and that's when you flip it. If it sticks to the grill or pan it just isn't ready to flip yet.

Back