Burgers!

With hamburgers, you want a certain amount of fat.

The lower the fat content, the drier the burger.

Douse them good with soy sauce or Dale's Sauce (glorified soy sauce) and black pepper is great seasoning.

And don't press down on them with the spatula too much while they're cooking, either. Squeezes the juice out of them.
OMG! I mean that's good advice for garden variety ground beef but that would be a sin to do to a good black angus or Kobe/Waygu beef!!! As for the spatula....don't squeeze them at all ever. That's a culinary sin!!!!

It wasn't the real deal Mott, it was American Kobe. I've never had the real deal. I don't think they even sell it where I live.
That's why I mentioned Waygu which is probably what you purchased. It's the same breed of cattle it's just not raised in the traditional Japanese manner. Waygu is not as expensive as Kobe....but it's not cheap and it's really, really good. :)

What I said would apply with a good grade of Black Angus too. Try a course ground Black Angus Sirloin. Don't add a bunch of crap to it. Just salt and pepper to taste and cook it using the method I described. Just don't over cook it.

OMG! I mean that's good advice for garden variety ground beef but that would be a sin to do to a good black angus or Kobe/Waygu beef!!! As for the spatula....don't squeeze them at all ever. That's a culinary sin!!!!

I squeeze and mash them into the pan until they are as dry as day old cow dung!

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a butcher, I basically shop in the normal stores. I've never bought raw meat online, how does that work? Is it frozen?

Yes, it's frozen and usually vacuum sealed. Great way to get stuff like elk or gator.

You might have over mixed the meat. American Kobe usually sucks though.
I've used it with fantastic results. Best burgers I've ever made. Cost about as much as a small ribeye steak but was really good. Just don't over cook it and make sure your grill/skillet is super hot and don't handle it too much. Let the maillard reaction take it's course.

I've used it with fantastic results. Best burgers I've ever made. Cost about as much as a small ribeye steak but was really good. Just don't over cook it and make sure your grill/skillet is super hot and don't handle it too much. Let the maillard reaction take it's course.

Biggest mistake in cooking burgers...grill or skillet NOT HOT ENOUGH.

Gotta be so hot smoke starts immediately...or is was not hot enough.

I grill burgers on occasion. But my skillet burgers are famous in my family.

First, you fry up some bacon. Pour off most (not all) of the bacon fat. Then, as Mott said, season the room temp burgers before you drop them in the skillet. When the bacon fat begins to smoke your skillet is almost ready. Turn the fan on.

Put them in the hot skillet and let the outside sear. Flip them once. Go for medium to meduim rare. When you pull the burgers out, let the skillet cool just a bit, then add the remaining bacon grease and a whole chopped vidalia onion. Stir until slightly blackened.

I prefer to toast an onion roll for a bun and melt the cheese on the bun. That leaves the delicious crust on the burger at its best.

First, you fry up some bacon. Pour off most (not all) of the bacon fat. Then, as Mott said, season the room temp burgers before you drop them in the skillet. When the bacon fat begins to smoke your skillet is almost ready. Turn the fan on.

Put them in the hot skillet and let the outside sear. Flip them once. Go for medium to meduim rare. When you pull the burgers out, let the skillet cool just a bit, then add the remaining bacon grease and a whole chopped vidalia onion. Stir until slightly blackened.

I prefer to toast an onion roll for a bun and melt the cheese on the bun. That leaves the delicious crust on the burger at its best.

That sounds really good.

Thanks

That cheese bit sounds intriguing. How do you do it?

Had some ground American Kobe Beef hamburgers and they turned out horrible. First tried on the Treager, then cast iron over the stove and screwed them up both times.

The fat content was above 20 iirc.

I am not a great burger chef by any means, however I've never messed up burgers like that. Dry, and not very flavorful. Wasn't that much more than regular beef, which I'm sticking to now.

Anyone had experience with that meat?

I'm known as the grillmaster around these parts, outdoor, propane, Weber grill, but I'll have to say that I haven't grilled a burger in years. My wife insists on them being well done due to health concerns so they are very difficult to cook right without drying out. If I want a burger I'll go to Five Guys, or even Hardies.

The best way I know to cook them is 3/4" thick, a super-hot grill (well over 500F), sear them for two minutes one side, flip and sear the other side two minutes, the flip again and turn the heat down to medium. On the third flip rotate 90 degrees to get the classic X pattern. Flip them once more and keep a careful eye on them, and take them off as soon as the begin to shrink, preferably just before.

Letting them "rest" a minute or two tightly wrapped in foil ensures complete doneness.

That cheese bit sounds intriguing. How do you do it?

Turn the oven on broil. Split the buns and toast the top (and bottom) for maybe a minute or two. Then flip them so the inside faces up, put the cheese on one of the buns and put them back in for a minute or two. Keep an eye on them though. They can go from golden brown to black really quickly.

Lately I have taken to baking the burger patties themselves in my toaster oven.

I marinate them first in Dale's, then add some freshly ground black pepper and onion powder. Pop them in the toaster oven and in about 15 minutes or so, I've got a couple of nice, juicy, tasty burgers.

The great thing is that I don't have to stand in front of the stove doing all that work and I don't have grease spattering all over the place, so there's a lot less clean up afterwards.

Just pop them in the oven, then go sit down and wait until the clock says it's time to check them.

When the patties are done, I cover them on a plate, set the plate on the hot top of the oven to keep them nice and warm, then bake my tater tots.

Had some ground American Kobe Beef hamburgers and they turned out horrible. First tried on the Treager, then cast iron over the stove and screwed them up both times.

The fat content was above 20 iirc.

I am not a great burger chef by any means, however I've never messed up burgers like that. Dry, and not very flavorful. Wasn't that much more than regular beef, which I'm sticking to now.

Anyone had experience with that meat?

I think American kobe beef is Kobe-style beef and not the real deal. With burgers you need to let the meat get to room temperatures and cook them fast in a very hot pan

I think American kobe beef is Kobe-style beef and not the real deal. With burgers you need to let the meat get to room temperatures and cook them fast in a very hot pan
You need to season them with salt too or you won't denature the proteins on the surface of the meat and the maillard reaction won't be as pronounced.

Back