Burgers!

You need to season them with salt too or you won't denature the proteins on the surface of the meat and the maillard reaction won't be as pronounced.

Oh sure, but the issue asked about seemed to have all to do with the cooking approach not that stuff. Beef really needs to be cooked fast and hot if on the top of the stove and not in soup/stews (Although I usually do it separate and toss it in the stew toward the end anyway unless it is being done in a slow cooker.

Oh sure, but the issue asked about seemed to have all to do with the cooking approach not that stuff. Beef really needs to be cooked fast and hot if on the top of the stove and not in soup/stews (Although I usually do it separate and toss it in the stew toward the end anyway unless it is being done in a slow cooker.
Actually when I braise or stew beef I give it a good sear first. Adds more flavor. Same with most meat except fish.

Actually when I braise or stew beef I give it a good sear first. Adds more flavor. Same with most meat except fish.
Well worth the time it takes to do that...and the veggies/aromatics, as well...
Did you ever take a look at the OSU retail meat site?
Soooo good...

Well worth the time it takes to do that...and the veggies/aromatics, as well...
Did you ever take a look at the OSU retail meat site?
Soooo good...
No I haven’t. It’s a bit far to drive from here and I don’t have a freezer to store meat and I e reduced my red meat intake to twice a week for health reasons but I have to make it over there some day soon.

No I haven’t. It’s a bit far to drive from here and I don’t have a freezer to store meat and I e reduced my red meat intake to twice a week for health reasons but I have to make it over there some day soon.
Just keep it in mind if you're planning a cook-out this summer...the steaks and roasts are amazing...worth the trip...just remember to call and order ahead...and cash or check only...lol

Had some ground American Kobe Beef hamburgers and they turned out horrible. First tried on the Treager, then cast iron over the stove and screwed them up both times.

The fat content was above 20 iirc.

I am not a great burger chef by any means, however I've never messed up burgers like that. Dry, and not very flavorful. Wasn't that much more than regular beef, which I'm sticking to now.

Anyone had experience with that meat?

wtf?......Kobe beef is beef raised in confinement so the muscles are flaccid and the meat is tender.......nobody in their right mind would grind it into hamburger.......it would be like frying up Braunschweiger......

a good black angus

"black angus" beef is a sham.......to sell black angus beef you don't need to find a black angus steer, you just need to buy a "black angus" license from a marketing board.......also there is no distinguishing feature of taste between an angus or a hereford or a charolais....in a blind taste test no one could tell the difference.....the "black angus" beef you buy in your grocery store could have come from a Holstein cow retired from a dairy farm because of age.......

Turn the oven on broil. Split the buns and toast the top (and bottom) for maybe a minute or two. Then flip them so the inside faces up, put the cheese on one of the buns and put them back in for a minute or two. Keep an eye on them though. They can go from golden brown to black really quickly.

my favorite is to smother the burger with grated cheese and cover with a pan lid......cheese melts down and beyond the burger edge by an inch and crisps where it hits the pan......

"black angus" beef is a sham.......to sell black angus beef you don't need to find a black angus steer, you just need to buy a "black angus" license from a marketing board.......also there is no distinguishing feature of taste between an angus or a hereford or a charolais....in a blind taste test no one could tell the difference.....the "black angus" beef you buy in your grocery store could have come from a Holstein cow retired from a dairy farm because of age.......
Seriously? Oh well caveat emptor.

my favorite is to smother the burger with grated cheese and cover with a pan lid......cheese melts down and beyond the burger edge by an inch and crisps where it hits the pan......

What type of grated cheese do you use? Parmesan? Cheddar? Swiss? American?

One thing with cooking burgers is to never add salt until you're done cooking them.
It tends to draw the juices out and you end up with a dried out burger.

I braise (sear) almost everything...including meat to be used in stews and soups. Beef barley vegetable soup...I sear the beef first.

This is what I use for soup beef:

a6821520e6dd1c682c40084bd4817087.jpg

I have taken to using short ribs of beef for stews. A bit fattier than chuck...but MUCH more tasty.

short-rib-beef-stew-ale-short-ribs.jpg

I braise (sear) almost everything...including meat to be used in stews and soups. Beef barley vegetable soup...I sear the beef first.

a6821520e6dd1c682c40084bd4817087.jpg

I have taken to using short ribs of beef for stews. A bit fattier than chuck...but MUCH more tasty.

Two of my favorite cuts.. That's a pretty soup shank.

0e6dd1c682c40084bd4817087.jpg[/img]

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/82/15/a682152
Short ribs are awesome.. If you can find a cross rib roast or a chuck eye try one sometime...a little harder to find, but so good...

That crispy cheese trick is delicious...use lots! You can fold up the sides;)

Another cooking tip, probably not handy for burgers, but still good, is to crispy the cheese on the outside.

I do it with a grilled cheese sandwich. When you put the sandwich in the skillet (nonstick ONLY!), sprinkle a little grated cheese on top. Cook it about 2/3 as long as you normally would on the first side. The grated cheese should be melted when you flip the sandwich. Then sprinkle a little on the now cooked side. Once the second side is done, flip once more.

The result is a crispy cheese crust on the outside of the bread. You know those bits of crispy cheese on the edge of a pizza crust? That is scattered across your sandwich. Mmmm, tasty stuff!

Oh, and just by way of a testimonial, Mott can COOK! In the years we have been talking, he has shared a few recipes and tips. They ALWAYS turned out delicious.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/82/15/a682152
Short ribs are awesome.. If you can find a cross rib roast or a chuck eye try one sometime...a little harder to find, but so good...[/QUOTE]

I cook my short ribs in a pressure cooker with water and onions for 20 minutes.. Then run them under the broiler for 6 minutes. They are wonderful.

Another cooking tip, probably not handy for burgers, but still good, is to crispy the cheese on the outside.

I do it with a grilled cheese sandwich. When you put the sandwich in the skillet (nonstick ONLY!), sprinkle a little grated cheese on top. Cook it about 2/3 as long as you normally would on the first side. The grated cheese should be melted when you flip the sandwich. Then sprinkle a little on the now cooked side. Once the second side is done, flip once more.

The result is a crispy cheese crust on the outside of the bread. You know those bits of crispy cheese on the edge of a pizza crust? That is scattered across your sandwich. Mmmm, tasty stuff!
We've actually done that...with pimento cheese (try making it with smoked cheddar or gouda sometime) in the middle...and yes...Delish!

Back