Civilization collapse

Civilization collapse

• I would do what ever it took to survive.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I would take my own life, if things got to bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would rather be dead, at the beginning.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

USFREEDOM911

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
I've been watching the WALKING DEAD marathon (seasons 1 and 2) and just wondered about something.

If a situation developed where society collapsed and I mean totally, with very little chance of the Government stepping in and enforcing order; what would you do or do you think you're capable of doing?

This could be a massive volcanic eruption, massive meteorite stike, virus run rampant, what ever earth shattering scenario you want.

Would you want to be among the living, would you rather be dead, or would you even take your own life?

Just curious.

I've been watching the WALKING DEAD marathon (seasons 1 and 2) and just wondered about something.

If a situation developed where society collapsed and I mean totally, with very little chance of the Government stepping in and enforcing order; what would you do or do you think you're capable of doing?

This could be a massive volcanic eruption, massive meteorite stike, virus run rampant, what ever earth shattering scenario you want.

Would you want to be among the living, would you rather be dead, or would you even take your own life?

Just curious.

I think I would do what ever was necessary to survive and to help as many to survive that I could; but they would also have to want to survive and help, not just be a drain on the survivers.

I think I would survive, especially if my family was together. I also think I am in a decent place to do so.

What do you think would be the best place to defend and still be able to survive?

I was thinking of a walled prison, kind of like what next season has, or else maybe the Hoover Dam.
Prisons usually have their own back up generators; but you would need fuel, which their would be plenty of.
The Hoover Dam has an unlimited amount of energy; but is kind of only available on 2 road sides, even though a boat could be used.

I forgot to add that I love post-apocolyptic movies; ie: Road Warrior, Book of Eli, Water World, The Postman, A Boy and his Dog, Zombie Apocolypse, the Walking Dead, Zombie Land, etc.

What do you think would be the best place to defend and still be able to survive?

I was thinking of a walled prison, kind of like what next season has, or else maybe the Hoover Dam.
Prisons usually have their own back up generators; but you would need fuel, which their would be plenty of.
The Hoover Dam has an unlimited amount of energy; but is kind of only available on 2 road sides, even though a boat could be used.

I forgot to add that I love post-apocolyptic movies; ie: Road Warrior, Book of Eli, Water World, The Postman, A Boy and his Dog, Zombie Apocolypse, the Walking Dead, Zombie Land, etc.

I have done some research for a book I have been dabbling with for a good while. I don't know if a major building or dam would be a good idea. Any decently armed group of raiders could eventually take you. I think a smaller place, more out of the way would be the best bet. At least for the first year or so, depending on the cause of the collapse.

I live in the boonies. I know my neighbors. I have a substantial garden and it could be tripled in size with some effort. The woods and mountains in east central Alabama shield us from most people's view. There is no significant city with anything to offer a major population, so we would probably be largely forgotten.

As for electricity, you would want to be careful how much you used and when. Nothing like glowing lights at night to attract attention. But a micro-hydroelectric generator in a yeararound creek or small rivier would do pretty well. Harder to steal as well.

I have done some research for a book I have been dabbling with for a good while. I don't know if a major building or dam would be a good idea. Any decently armed group of raiders could eventually take you. I think a smaller place, more out of the way would be the best bet. At least for the first year or so, depending on the cause of the collapse.

I live in the boonies. I know my neighbors. I have a substantial garden and it could be tripled in size with some effort. The woods and mountains in east central Alabama shield us from most people's view. There is no significant city with anything to offer a major population, so we would probably be largely forgotten.

As for electricity, you would want to be careful how much you used and when. Nothing like glowing lights at night to attract attention. But a micro-hydroelectric generator in a yeararound creek or small rivier would do pretty well. Harder to steal as well.

I guess I was thinking of it being a little farther down the time line, were most of the original damage was done and everyone was more in the survival mode.
I do like your idea of the micro-hydroelectric generator.

I had an idea on a really simple water purifier.

Take one of those older round propane tanks, the ones that look like giant balls.
Remove the top valve, drill a hole in the side (about half way down) and apply a water float valve like they use in swamp coolers, make the top a vent with a coil (like they do on stills) and put it over a fire.
Use either a plastic container or a 55 gal drum to feed in the water through the water float valve.

Should be able to generate a good supply of clean water, just by keeping the initial container filled and the fire going.
Only has to be hot enough to boil and bring the water to steam.

I guess I was thinking of it being a little farther down the time line, were most of the original damage was done and everyone was more in the survival mode.
I do like your idea of the micro-hydroelectric generator.

I had an idea on a really simple water purifier.

Take one of those older round propane tanks, the ones that look like giant balls.
Remove the top valve, drill a hole in the side (about half way down) and apply a water float valve like they use in swamp coolers, make the top a vent with a coil (like they do on stills) and put it over a fire.
Use either a plastic container or a 55 gal drum to feed in the water through the water float valve.

Should be able to generate a good supply of clean water, just by keeping the initial container filled and the fire going.
Only has to be hot enough to boil and bring the water to steam.

Like a still with only water? Not a bad idea. That could work.

Like a still with only water? Not a bad idea. That could work.

absolutly.
The reason I thought of the round propane tank, is because the tanks don't absorb propane (therefore no worry about an explosion), they're thick enough to hold up to the fire, and they're pretty good size; but not to large.

Oh no doubt many would die from little things, a cut that got infected, the flu that weakened, food poisoning, ect ect.

Now add in the ones that die, for the only reason that they're to stupid to take care of themselves and/or to squemish to eat certain food.

Back