Civilization collapse

Civilization collapse

• I would do what ever it took to survive.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I would take my own life, if things got to bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would rather be dead, at the beginning.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
This may come as a surprise to you but if civilization fails michigan wouldn't exactly be high on my immigration list.

Of course not. You wouldn't even know if civilization failed in Ohio. Why would you want to come to a utopia that had fallen?

As long as y'all stay up there and bicker about it, the post apocalyptic south will be fine. If you are migrating south, when they stop having snow shovels in every house, stop traveling this way.

As long as y'all stay up there and bicker about it, the post apocalyptic south will be fine. If you are migrating south, when they stop having snow shovels in every house, stop traveling this way.

Yeah, you can have the south, and we'll have all the fresh water. Sounds like a perfect trade.

That would news to the rest of the south. We have plenty of fresh water. Most of our electricity if generated by hydro-electric plants.

We just get rain instead of snow.

Yeah, I think we have a little more.
GreatLakes1.jpg

As in, enough for a few years of drought.

Yeah, I think we have a little more.
GreatLakes1.jpg

As in, enough for a few years of drought.

You have more. We had some serious droughts a few years ago. Some farm ponds dried up for a week or so, but no rivers dried up and none of the streams around here went dry. I have well water and it never hiccuped once.

I have done some research for a book I have been dabbling with for a good while. I don't know if a major building or dam would be a good idea. Any decently armed group of raiders could eventually take you. I think a smaller place, more out of the way would be the best bet. At least for the first year or so, depending on the cause of the collapse.

I live in the boonies. I know my neighbors. I have a substantial garden and it could be tripled in size with some effort. The woods and mountains in east central Alabama shield us from most people's view. There is no significant city with anything to offer a major population, so we would probably be largely forgotten.

As for electricity, you would want to be careful how much you used and when. Nothing like glowing lights at night to attract attention. But a micro-hydroelectric generator in a yeararound creek or small rivier would do pretty well. Harder to steal as well.

I looked up some info on the micro-hydroelectic generators and there's some good info out there, for making your own that would generate what is needed to run a house; as long as your smart about it.
A refrigerator, some lights, maybe even a freezer.
Use an existing flowing water source, make a small dam, and use the overflow to run the equipment.
Tie it in with some solar panels and it's highly effective.
I'm not sure about your area; but most of the schools in my area have installed lots of solar panels and after such a breakdown, they could be salvaged.

Time to do some internet searches and maybe buy some books.

Hmm, the Seattle guy or the Ohio guy? People might believe that I used to kill sheep, as part of my Pacific Northwest serial killer training, but you clearly have the resume for banging them.

Back