College Football?

I loved bama football growing up watching bear, I'm just yanking your chain a little.
Once I lived in tiger stadium, I got over that.

I'm not worried. And I disconnected that chain years ago. When you yank it just rattles against the plumbing of the old apartment I once lived in.

I am a hardcore Crimson Tide fan. I was a fan during the Dubose years. It can't get much worse than that.

I'm not worried. And I disconnected that chain years ago. When you yank it just rattles against the plumbing of the old apartment I once lived in.

I am a hardcore Crimson Tide fan. I was a fan during the Dubose years. It can't get much worse than that.

One of my fondest memories as a child, was listening to the car radio with my dad, when Alabama played LSU at night in the mid-60's. I was born an Alabama fan, couldn't imagine rooting for another team or changing. Bear Bryant had tremendous influence on my life, I have always lived by his words; "If you believe in yourself, have dedication and pride, and never quit, you will be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards."

Now I watch a generation of players who weren't even alive when Bryant coached, and I wonder if they even understand what it means to put on that crimson jersey. But I can see a lot of Bear's wisdom in Nick Saban, I wouldn't say they are cut from the same cloth, but I think Saban instills the values that Bryant taught. It's been a while since I was this excited about a season, and I am looking forward to shutting some loud mouths in the SEC and around the nation, as we pursue yet another coveted National Championship.

Let me boost your enthusiasm for Saban.
As you may know, pre Saban LSU kinda had a Miami/FSU thug U thing starting to happen.
Saban came in and cleaned house, ditched a bunch of trouble makers and laid down the law. He also went to the admin and demanded top knotch facilities including study halls and tudors. He made the players hit the books to.
You won't see and jaibirds on his teams

I already have plenty of enthusiasm for Saban, but that sure helps.

I am, as I said, a hardcore fan. I was born & raised in Tuscaloosa. I used to ride my bicycle over to the campus and watch Bear, in the old wood tower, coaching the team. I watched him pace the sidelines in Denny Stadium (before it was Bryant Denny Stadium). I watched him pace the sidelines at Legion Field. And met him on several occasions. I have an autographed copy of his book.

But its not just Bear Bryant. Being an Alabama fan means seeing Cornelius Bennett and "The Sack" when he put the Notre Dame QB out of the game. It means watching Barry Krauss and "The Goaline Stand" with pride. It means knowing what "Mama called" means. It means watching the '92 Sugar Bowl when a team nobody respected, with an offense that wasn't much, dismantled the vaunted Miami Hurricanes with a defense that could have stopped a lot of pro teams. Its watching the pregame video on the Jumbotrons at Bryant Denny Stadium and feeling goosebumps. Its seeing those players from the past and feeling like you are watching old friends.

Its knowing the names....John Hannah, Billy Neighbors, Barry Krauss, Bob Baumhower, Cornelius Bennett, Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath, Leroy Jordan, Sylvester Croom, Pat Trammell, Steve Sloan, Bobby Humphreys, Shaun Alexander, Johnny Musso, Derrick Thomas, Gene Stallings, Jeff Rutledge, Van Tiffin, Jay Barker, "The Bookends" Curry & Copeland, George Teague, Derrick Lassic, Antonio Langham, Al Bell, Mike Shula, Ray Perkins, Rich Wingo, Chris Samuels, Wesley Britt, and so many more.

And every one of them can here this in their sleep. And every Bama fan knows it by heart.
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit - you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards"

I can hear it in my head as I type it. Its always a deep gravelly voice.

Lots of other quotes come to my mind.

Like when he was asked to pitch in $10 to help cover the cost of a sportswriter's funeral "Here's a twenty, bury two".

"I ain't never been nothing but a winner."

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

"Sacrifice. Work. Self-discipline. I teach these things, and my boys don't forget them when they leave."

"At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships."

I was a Bama fan when we sucked. I was a Bama fan from the time I could understand what there were other teams. I have watched us lose heartbreakers, win championships and barely squeak by.

I know we have had 55 bowl appearances, 26 SEC championships, and 13 National Championships.

We will be back on top, of that I have no doubt. Its not because I want it. Its because that is where the Crimson Tide belongs. The years of losing seasons, losing to auburn, and finishing unranked just make it sweeter.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

awesome

One of the best stories about Bryant is the time he came under fire from the faculty over his salary, they couldn't understand why a football coach was being paid more than they were... Bear says, "When you get 80,000 people to come watch an English class, come talk to me."

that movie about him at A&M was very good

Junction Boys? The actor who played him was a horrible choice, he didn't even sound or look like Bryant. Gary Busey was better, and he was a freakin' joke. I think John Wayne or George C. Scott may have been able to play the part, but the only living actors who could have done it justice are Gene Hackman or maybe Fred Thompson.

The book was excellent, and the story was so much more than how it was presented in the screenplay.

Back