Coolest Thing You Ever Did as an Adult

ThatOwlWoman

Leftist Vermin
Tell us your stories.... and pics if you have 'em.

I have extreme fear of heights, but I've flown small planes (Cessna) a few times. When my late husband passed, one of the guys at the local VFW offered to take me up in a rented 152 to scatter his ashes over the rivers and woodlands that he loved. Every time I would open the window to fling some out, and start crying again, he would take his hands off the controls and tell me to fly her. I met that guy many decades ago when we both worked at McDonnell-Douglas. He is a USAF veteran. He knew my late husband because of the local VFW hall we supported. He knew how to comfort a widow in the best way.

Despite my sorrow, that windy stormy March day in 2005 gave me the love of flying in small craft. It was absolutely terrifying. I'm glad I did it anyways! I took flying lessons at that airport (which is no more) for a year, but never did get my license. Also did parasailing which is even more scary.

Your stories?

Me! lol

quQOgQe.jpg

One thing i guess im proud of was rescuing a couple kids caught in a rip tide on a barrier island off South Carolina.

I had been watching these two brothers messing around in the surf and getting further and further away from shore.

I knew it was just a matter of time before they drifted into a rip tide and sure enough i saw the panic hit them that they were no longer in control.

I had found myself in that position many years earlier and was fortunate that my oldest brother noticed and drug me back to safety.

I went out since mom and dad were not paying attention. I got to the older one and got him back under control and sent him off to his parents and went for the other. It was worse by that time and I was struggling to keep us both afloat while trying to get away from the rip tide. Daddio finally showed up and I got his kid to him and myself back under control.

Scary but I was glad to return the favor my brother had lent me.

Two days later my idiot sister-in-law was headed out to sea in a rather more vigorous tide. I drug her back as well. Prolly a bad idea given my history since but who knew.

Moral of the story: respect the ocean. She is powerful and you are no match. I was lucky more than once. I wont be so foolish again.

One thing i guess im proud of was rescuing a couple kids caught in a rip tide on a barrier island off South Carolina.

I had been watching these two brothers messing around in the surf and getting further and further away from shore.

I knew it was just a matter of time before they drifted into a rip tide and sure enough i saw the panic hit them that they were no longer in control.

I had found myself in that position many years earlier and was fortunate that my oldest brother noticed and drug me back to safety.

I went out since mom and dad were not paying attention. I got to the older one and got him back under control and sent him off to his parents and went for the other. It was worse by that time and I was struggling to keep us both afloat while trying to get away from the rip tide. Daddio finally showed up and I got his kid to him and myself back under control.

Two days later my idiot sister-in-law was headed out to sea in a rather more vigorous tide. I drug her back as well. Prolly a bad idea given my history since but who knew.

Moral of the story: respect the ocean. She is powerful and you are no match. I was lucky more than once. I wont be so foolish again.

Love your story, Hero Dude!

I have extreme fear of heights, but I've flown small planes (Cessna) a few times. When my late husband passed, one of the guys at the local VFW offered to take me up in a rented 152 to scatter his ashes over the rivers and woodlands that he loved. Every time I would open the window to fling some out, and start crying again, he would take his hands off the controls and tell me to fly her. I met that guy many decades ago when we both worked at McDonnell-Douglas. He is a USAF veteran. He knew my late husband because of the local VFW hall we supported. He knew how to comfort a widow in the best way.

Despite my sorrow, that windy stormy March day in 2005 gave me the love of flying in small craft. It was absolutely terrifying. I'm glad I did it anyways! I took flying lessons at that airport (which is no more) for a year, but never did get my license. Also did parasailing which is even more scary.

Your stories?

Me! lol

quQOgQe.jpg

What else would I say besides travel? Well, I did use to make my own hand-kneaded bread.

Raised two educated children who are now professionals , Seven grand-kids, 3 who completed college, 2 of those who finished grad school and one in Med school, the younger ones still in grade school , they will be going to college

Went sky diving at age 60

Raised two educated children who are now professionals , Seven grand-kids, 3 who completed college, 2 of those who finished grad school and one in Med school, the younger ones still in grade school , they will be going to college

Went sky diving at age 60

Old as dirt and still voting Democrat. Pitiful life...

Your stories?

Me! lol

quQOgQe.jpg

AWESOME!!!! I (presently) would like my kinds to spread my ashes down @ the river I have kayaked on over 500 times... They could do it off the bridge but that might be to easy for them...

I would love to hear more.:)

Had kids. That was pretty cool.

First thing I thought of, but it sounded boring, & you made it sound even more so.....:laugh::laugh:

But it is a great gift, often over looked & under appreciated until it is late or to late.:dunno:

:hand: :hand: :hand: great job!!!

Like... gave birth? Damn, impressive!

Hey, standing back there rubbing shoulders aint as easy as it looks through teary eyes as you pushy pushy for a few hours......:)

lol Well really it aint.. For me I wanted so much to take away the pain, make it better but you can't~almost the same as having a baby :)

:thinking: Or maybe not;) .......:thup:

Off the top I would say it was climbing up Mt Whitney back in August 17...

It was my 6th hike, my first one in about 25 years or so was two months earlier @ Horsetail falls in Calif..

Kinda nuts, thinking about it now..

I don’t know...nothing spectacular. Getting published was cool. Getting pulled over for doing 35 mph over the speed limit on a bicycle was cool. Meeting Neil Armstrong was way cool. Having a gun pointed at me on three separate occasions in one night was definitely not cool but a bizarre story that’s pretty cool.

I don’t know...nothing spectacular. Getting published was cool. Getting pulled over for doing 35 mph over the speed limit on a bicycle was cool. Meeting Neil Armstrong was way cool. Having a gun pointed at me on three separate occasions in one night was definitely not cool but a bizarre story that’s pretty cool.

Just admit that you still can't actually answer the question as written. I am probably in the same boat as you.

Back