Day Of Rest.

Christian bigotry. They think their day is more important than any other day.

Also, christians get special privileges in this country. They've been able to push their agenda so that their group gets treated differently.

Granted, they are pretty good at it. But it's still special privileges for christians.

It is more important than any other day.

Peg pants, you're trying to divert the topic again.

Some union shops have workers who get double time on Sundays (All working hours over 40 hours will pay the employee at a time and a half rate of his hourly wage) others have their employees get double time and a half on Sundays and still a few others have their employees get triple time on Sundays.

That isn't the point. The point of this post is where the Sunday off for workers originated and why.

You need to get out of the humanities classes and get into the real world for a big change. Your lame attempts at diversion are comical.

Yeah, industrial manufacturing sure isn't the real world.

I didn't say government, I said nation.

I wasn't aware American Indians were christian. Or do you not count them in your "nation"? you don't seem to want to include anyone who doesn't match your definition.

Sure, did Sundays off for church come because a lot of people were used to doing that? Sure. TRADITION!!! as they sang in "Fiddler on the Roof"

It wasn't because we were a christian nation; it was inertia. Of course farmers still worked like heck on Sundays.

I wasn't aware American Indians were christian. Or do you not count them in your "nation"? you don't seem to want to include anyone who doesn't match your definition.

Sure, did Sundays off for church come because a lot of people were used to doing that? Sure. TRADITION!!! as they sang in "Fiddler on the Roof"

It wasn't because we were a christian nation; it was inertia. Of course farmers still worked like heck on Sundays.

Well, the Indians weren't American. They were their own nations.

Precisely.

My wife works for a company that closes on Christmas and Easter because the company was founded by Christians, nevertheless, it still remains open and employs THOUSANDS of workers each and every single Sunday of the year.

Yeah, worked for a company where somehow every year our "spring holiday" fell on good friday... christian bigotry.

Precisely.

My wife works for a company that closes on Christmas and Easter because the company was founded by Christians, nevertheless, it still remains open and employs THOUSANDS of workers each and every single Sunday of the year.

Cut the crap.

Of ten people you know of who work, eight of them don't work on Sundays. Half of them probably work on Saturdays but only two out of the group work Sundays.

You're another example of how you changed the culture but you won't admit to the truth about what the American people were and still are in many locales and what they shared on Sundays.

Yeah, industrial manufacturing sure isn't the real world.

Americans had a social contract with each other over Sunday .. the most important day of the week and the day for the country's families as observed as the Christian Sabbath by both Christian and non Christian. It was a day of reflection and to spend the day with one's family and to kick back and relax doing it. There was church then there was visiting the relatives, then there was spending time with the kids. Of course the woman of the house had the responsibility of the week's most important meal, the Sunday dinner unless she was visiting grand mom then the women would lend hand in the kitchen for the after dinner cleanup.

It was a day of blessing and remembrance in America by the people And it was as non materialistic as it got.

Today the material gods of Madison Avenue and the lust for materialism have eliminated much of this day of rest and remembrance and Americans out of their unending lust for materialistic satisfaction that they never accomplish but only instead become more miserable and depressed in the process have thrown so much of it to the wayside. in America on Sundays, everything except the vital industries such as hospitals, nursing homes, and power companies was closed and even those functions had much smaller work forces within them than during the rest of the week. Grocery stores, pharmacies, department stores, gas stations, banks, office buildings etc, etc, all closed for the family day of Sunday.

So it is impossible to offer any other answer to the question than the correct answer, America's Christian Sabbath began the tradition of Sundays off for American workers.

So it is impossible to offer any other answer to the question than the correct answer, America's Christian Sabbath began the tradition of Sundays off for American workers.

The level of dumb coming off your fingers is staggering.

The workplace dictates as much to the days of the weekend as much as religion. Yes, it was a common practice to take Sunday off for families to go to church, just as later on it Saturday was seen as a day for Jews to honor their Sabbath.

Henry Ford, an agnostic, actually established the five day work week and the government established it with the Fair Labor Standards Act if 1939.

So there you have it. You're full of shit.

But I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that many Muslim countries also share our Saturday-Sunday weekend. I guess that's to honor their christian beliefs too, right?

He's just trying to come up with some way to justify his desire to have his religion enshrined in the laws of our country. Such a siwwy wabbit

The level of dumb coming off your fingers is staggering.

The workplace dictates as much to the days of the weekend as much as religion. Yes, it was a common practice to take Sunday off for families to go to church, just as later on it Saturday was seen as a day for Jews to honor their Sabbath.

Henry Ford, an agnostic, actually established the five day work week and the government established it with the Fair Labor Standards Act if 1939.

So there you have it. You're full of shit.

But I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that many Muslim countries also share our Saturday-Sunday weekend. I guess that's to honor their christian beliefs too, right?

What are you jibbering about Howey?

I just explained how the day became a day off from work and why at it's origin.

Why are you giving me Muslims?

You're just pissed because nobody wants to alter the country's work schedule to honor you and your homo agenda.

He's just trying to come up with some way to justify his desire to have his religion enshrined in the laws of our country. Such a siwwy wabbit

No you're a leftist secular asshole who has worked diligently to radically change the culture while at the same time you're trying to revise the culture's history by claiming the origins of the country's people weren't Christian.

And you cannot deny the Sunday day of rest in America's origins without excuse making that makes no sense.

Cut the crap.

Of ten people you know of who work, eight of them don't work on Sundays. Half of them probably work on Saturdays but only two out of the group work Sundays.

You're another example of how you changed the culture but you won't admit to the truth about what the American people were and still are in many locales and what they shared on Sundays.

"I" changed the culture?

Oh nononononono...

CORPORATE GREED changed the culture.

You see, back in the 50's one income was all the typical family needed to get by and live a decent life.

UNfortunately, today, most family's need TWO incomes just to make ends meet and that means many more people are working on Sunday...and it's all thanks to GREEDY corporate America and their continued worship of the almighty DOLLAR.

Americans had a social contract with each other over Sunday .. the most important day of the week and the day for the country's families as observed as the Christian Sabbath by both Christian and non Christian. It was a day of reflection and to spend the day with one's family and to kick back and relax doing it. There was church then there was visiting the relatives, then there was spending time with the kids. Of course the woman of the house had the responsibility of the week's most important meal, the Sunday dinner unless she was visiting grand mom then the women would lend hand in the kitchen for the after dinner cleanup.

It was a day of blessing and remembrance in America by the people And it was as non materialistic as it got.

Today the material gods of Madison Avenue and the lust for materialism have eliminated much of this day of rest and remembrance and Americans out of their unending lust for materialistic satisfaction that they never accomplish but only instead become more miserable and depressed in the process have thrown so much of it to the wayside. in America on Sundays, everything except the vital industries such as hospitals, nursing homes, and power companies was closed and even those functions had much smaller work forces within them than during the rest of the week. Grocery stores, pharmacies, department stores, gas stations, banks, office buildings etc, etc, all closed for the family day of Sunday.

[Citation Needed]

And to add, this day of Christian observance was always a lot stronger in the south and parts of the Midwest in what liberals have desecrated with the deliberate offensive term, Bible Belt.

The progressives strategy of destroying the culture and replacing it with their secular culture includes their false claim that the culture they have been and still are destroying never existed in the first place.

No you're a leftist secular asshole who has worked diligently to radically change the culture while at the same time you're trying to revise the culture's history by claiming the origins of the country's people weren't Christian.

And you cannot deny the Sunday day of rest in America's origins without excuse making that makes no sense.

Sure, the Europeans that settled this country were Christians....the Native Americans weren't though, and they were here first....but as a Nation(as in the 13 colonies/USA)? Yes.....the Europeans were Christians.....but the African slaves weren't...oh wait....they didn't count and were mostly "converted" from their heathen ways.

In fact....if you count the Native Americans and the Africans....I'd be willling to bet more of this country's people were more paganistic than Christians.....it's just that those people didn't count.

But, that's neither here nor there. The point is....we DON'T have a National Religion and we have the freedom to worship as we choose or to not worship at all....and people that try to do the whole "Christian Nation" thing and still get all "Constitutionally" whenever something doesn't go their way are nothing but hypocrites.

I am a Christian American....but I don't consider America a "Christian Nation"....we are a nation of many cultures, many religions and many creeds. We can divide and fall or we can unite and be strong.....your choice.

Sure, the Europeans that settled this country were Christians....the Native Americans weren't though, and they were here first....but as a Nation(as in the 13 colonies/USA)? Yes.....the Europeans were Christians.....but the African slaves weren't...oh wait....they didn't count and were mostly "converted" from their heathen ways.

In fact....if you count the Native Americans and the Africans....I'd be willling to bet more of this country's people were more paganistic than Christians.....it's just that those people didn't count.

isn't it amazing how no one counts but who he wants to count? One way to rig the votes.

But, that's neither here nor there. The point is....we DON'T have a National Religion and we have the freedom to worship as we choose or to not worship at all....and people that try to do the whole "Christian Nation" thing and still get all "Constitutionally" whenever something doesn't go their way are nothing but hypocrites.

I am a Christian American....but I don't consider America a "Christian Nation"....we are a nation of many cultures, many religions and many creeds. We can divide and fall or we can unite and be strong.....your choice.

So why did America close shop to observe the Christian Sabbath on Sundays?

Back