Did Anyone Have To Deal With Politics At Thanksgiving Dinner?

Lightbringer

Loves Me Some Souls
Just wondering how many of you have "that guy" in your family who can't help but go on a political rant when he/she has a captive audience at the table during a Holiday dinner. I have three of them. We almost had a food fight, not due to political differences just due to most people not wanting to hear it at the table during Thanksgiving dinner.

No but I wasn’t able to visit my Aunt and Uncle for the extended family dinner due to one member of the family who has made it clear how much he hates immigrants. My wife, an immigrant, is convinced he hates her, not surprisingly, and is very uncomfortable around him and I have to support her. My sisters support her too. They didn’t go either.

No but I wasn’t able to visit my Aunt and Uncle for the extended family dinner due to one member of the family who has made it clear how much he hates immigrants. My wife, an immigrant, is convinced he hates her, not surprisingly, and is very uncomfortable around him and I have to support her. My sisters support her too. They didn’t go either.

That's a shame. We've got all kinds in my family but I have one simple rule, don't be a dick in my house...and that does include me by the way in case you were wondering.

Does he hate all immigrants or just illegal ones?

That's a shame. We've got all kinds in my family but I have one simple rule, don't be a dick in my house...and that does include me by the way in case you were wondering.
I do. I was taught not to discuss politics or religion in mixed company or at social occasions as it is rude.

If the republican party had not built its entire platform on lies they wouldn't have to cheat in elections to win

And discussing politics wouldn't be such a problem

Does he hate all immigrants or just illegal ones?
Well if you asked him he’d say the illegal variety but if you knew the very insular manner of my rural hometown region it’s not a stretch to say that if he feels violently hostile towards illegal immigrants that the legal variety aren’t very popular in his book either and it was my wife who pointed out that bit of logic to me. Given his behavior and knowing the area like I do, where anyone who wasn’t born and raised there and lived there all their life, including other white folk are outsiders.

To reinforce that my eldest cousin is married to an immigrant from London and she feels the same way towards this family member as my wife. She too is convinced this family member hates her.

Sounds like your problem and not his.

If your wife is an illegal immigrant then she should be hated. If she came here legally then she she should be welcomed.

Don’t transfer your bullshit onto others

I discuss politics...…..We discuss what a shame it is that white America is STILL as racist as it is...…..shrugging shoulders.

Well if you asked him he’d say the illegal variety but if you knew the very insular manner of my rural hometown region it’s not a stretch to say that if he feels violently hostile towards illegal immigrants that the legal variety aren’t very popular in his book either and it was my wife who pointed out that bit of logic to me. Given his behavior and knowing the area like I do, where anyone who wasn’t born and raised there and lived there all their life, including other white folk are outsiders.

To reinforce that my eldest cousin is married to an immigrant from London and she feels the same way towards this family member as my wife. She too is convinced this family member hates her.

So he never said it but you and your wife are transferring your own bullshit onto him? Good for you

I discuss politics...…..We discuss what a shame it is that white America is STILL as racist as it is...…..shrugging shoulders.

You really need to be able to separate Republican racist white America trash.
From Progressive white America who loves diverse multicultural America.

218364.png

Just wondering how many of you have "that guy" in your family who can't help but go on a political rant when he/she has a captive audience at the table during a Holiday dinner. I have three of them. We almost had a food fight, not due to political differences just due to most people not wanting to hear it at the table during Thanksgiving dinner.

Nary a word about politics. Other than brief mentions of two different local elderly couples who recently died in separate events (one set by murder and one set by fire) there wasn't even anything newspaper worthy mentioned either.

Back