Disaster in Columbus: Let the bodies hit the floor

In my lengthy story about white, what would you have done?

From the looks of your pix, I wish you lived around here. Nice work.

I had trouble understanding about the white floor, lol. Is this what they were looking for?

ce1268e00a57e4f1_9682-w500-h281-b0-p0--.jpg

I had trouble understanding about the white floor, lol. Is this what they were looking for?

ce1268e00a57e4f1_9682-w500-h281-b0-p0--.jpg
Yes. Can you link me to that pic? That's exactly what the floor came out like, and what is to be expected. Just like Tin's customer though, my customer didn't want to see the subtle differences in the boards. She (thought she) wanted a pure white floor with no dark grain. I told her that the only way to do that is to plan ahead when installing the oak, and buy twice as much as you need so that you can hand pick the pieces.

Yes. Can you link me to that pic? That's exactly what the floor came out like, and what is to be expected. Just like Tin's customer though, my customer didn't want to see the subtle differences in the boards. She (thought she) wanted a pure white floor with no dark grain. I told her that the only way to do that is to plan ahead when installing the oak, and buy twice as much as you need so that you can hand pick the pieces.

Sure, here it is. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5...-floors-this-white-color-using-rubio-monocoat

Sheesh. Sounds like both of your customers had money to burn.

Update

Resanded everything. This time I painted the stain on with a shorthaired padco pad. It was excruciatingly frustrating to make every board look the same color.
IMAG1311.jpg

IMAG1320.jpg

Oh lord, if you had to meet that standard you would need to order 15X the amount. It's a rare board that has no coloration. What you have are irrational customers who need to be told so. I'm not afraid to tell someone they are an asshole. I told the customer in this story "It starts out as trees...". LOL fucking asshole had the nerve to okay putting poly on and then fucking sent a text to the contractor asking about spots in the stain. WTF! I mean WHAT THE FUCK! You ok'd the coating 4 hours earlier! Fucking asshole!

I once had to install a floor for a crazy rich lady. She removed the most awesome black marble floor to install 4 inch ash flooring. She wanted only boards with grain in perfectly straight line with the board. We had enough rejected boards to install every bedroom in the mansion. 10Ksqft+ home

This was in Westport CT back in the late 90s

LOL her kid was dressing as a thug and driving a bmw m1. It was the most hilarious thing I ever saw at the time. The dad was a banker CEO or something, and the kid was like a Jamie Kennedy sketch. LOL

Oh lord, if you had to meet that standard you would need to order 15X the amount. It's a rare board that has no coloration. What you have are irrational customers who need to be told so. I'm not afraid to tell someone they are an asshole. I told the customer in this story "It starts out as trees...". LOL fucking asshole had the nerve to okay putting poly on and then fucking sent a text to the contractor asking about spots in the stain. WTF! I mean WHAT THE FUCK! You ok'd the coating 4 hours earlier! Fucking asshole!
Frustrating for sure. I HATE having to do things over again, especially after taking care to build/finish it in a way that it will last forever.

In the defense of my customer, they openly admit that they are clueless. They are rather kind. They live in an apt. in NYC, and this is their summer/weekend getaway in the mts. Once I showed the wife the old flooring I saved from the kitchen, she realized that she doesn't like the old floor after all, and the new one is fine.

My regret is that I asked my floor guy to sand the entry closet, so that I can experiment with finishes to show them. He's young, and was in a rush to sand it. He came out past the doors, and now I'm left with the task of blending it so that it isn't noticeable.

Did I ask you how you came to be collecting wood from the Catskills?

I once had to install a floor for a crazy rich lady. She removed the most awesome black marble floor to install 4 inch ash flooring. She wanted only boards with grain in perfectly straight line with the board. We had enough rejected boards to install every bedroom in the mansion. 10Ksqft+ home

This was in Westport CT back in the late 90s

LOL her kid was dressing as a thug and driving a bmw m1. It was the most hilarious thing I ever saw at the time. The dad was a banker CEO or something, and the kid was like a Jamie Kennedy sketch. LOL
In Ct., odds are an insurance executive. I stopped working for that class of people. The wives tend to be very hard to please. I prefer customers who appreciate the talent it takes to do my job.

Not somebody who cannot discern a custom cabinetmaker from a handyman.

Frustrating for sure. I HATE having to do things over again, especially after taking care to build/finish it in a way that it will last forever.

In the defense of my customer, they openly admit that they are clueless. They are rather kind. They live in an apt. in NYC, and this is their summer/weekend getaway in the mts. Once I showed the wife the old flooring I saved from the kitchen, she realized that she doesn't like the old floor after all, and the new one is fine.

My regret is that I asked my floor guy to sand the entry closet, so that I can experiment with finishes to show them. He's young, and was in a rush to sand it. He came out past the doors, and now I'm left with the task of blending it so that it isn't noticeable.

Did I ask you how you came to be collecting wood from the Catskills?

A friend and I used to race mountain bikes at a ski area in the catskills and we used to stay at motels but we decided to buy a crappy little cabin in the area (for $4k on 1/4 acre) and there was a collapsed barn in the field right next to cabin. The wood was too awesome to ignore. The planks were wide and long. I did three trips with as much as the toyota pickup could handle. I lived two hours from the cabin.

In Ct., odds are an insurance executive. I stopped working for that class of people. The wives tend to be very hard to please. I prefer customers who appreciate the talent it takes to do my job.

Not somebody who cannot discern a custom cabinetmaker from a handyman.

I do my best to avoid customers who rub me the wrong way during the estimate. Too many clueless questions and you will not even hear back from me. LOL

A friend and I used to race mountain bikes at a ski area in the catskills and we used to stay at motels but we decided to buy a crappy little cabin in the area (for $4k on 1/4 acre) and there was a collapsed barn in the field right next to cabin. The wood was too awesome to ignore. The planks were wide and long. I did three trips with as much as the toyota pickup could handle. I lived two hours from the cabin.
Huh....you might have known some of my friends.

If you still have some of that barn wood kicking around you're sitting on a gold mine!

Huh....you might have known some of my friends.

We raced at plattekill. My friend was on the race team for spooky cycles out of Brewster, NY. It was the early days of downhill when bikes went from rockshox with vee brakes to triple tree forks with large travel and 10 inch disk brakes. If they have ever heard of "white trash racing", they might know me.

We raced at plattekill. My friend was on the race team for spooky cycles out of Brewster, NY. It was the early days of downhill when bikes went from rockshox with vee brakes to triple tree forks with large travel and 10 inch disk brakes. If they have ever heard of "white trash racing", they might know me.
I lost touch with my one long time friend who was an avid biker. He'd be about 63 or 64 now. But...you're mentioning places that are within a radius of me that I wouldn't care to be more specific about in public.

IMAG1324.jpg

Fuck! Awful chatter. The old floors had been sanded with a drum sander probably 30 years ago. I thought I got all out but you can see I failed. I own those chatter marks now. I suck.

Back