Disaster in Columbus: Let the bodies hit the floor

I only ask because the grain is wild and the pieces look short. You mentioned it before when you talked about the lengths of the old wood off the Barn.
If you hold up 12' or 16' oak flooring as the standard, that wild grain looks like shit. I can see the Owner wanting to subdue that.
(In your opinion of 32 years, would YOU want that in YOUR House?)

Oh, yeah, that's under cabinets so I used short boards

I like the curved step. The handrail looks cheap and flimsy. The plinth block at the jamb is a nice touch. The door is nice. The transition at the two rooms looks like shit. The stair treads are OK.
I'm not commention on the work, my comment is on the Design. (just an opinion)

It's a 1920's house. The hand rail is actually quite ornate hand wrought iron. It includes simulated leaves in the design and has a curved section at the top. It's actually one of the nicer touches. The trim is indeed old. 100 years old. The customer chose to not update the trim.

The transition at the two rooms looks like shit.
LOL that's how light refracts off wood. Go look at parquet or herringbone floors and you'll see that light refracts differently depending on the direction of the grain of the wood. You are clueless, dude
iu

It's a 1920's house. The hand rail is actually quite ornate hand wrought iron. It includes simulated leaves in the design and has a curved section at the top. It's actually one of the nicer touches. The trim is indeed old. 100 years old. The customer chose to not update the trim.

LOL that's how light refracts off wood. Go look at parquet or herringbone floors and you'll see that light refracts differently depending on the direction of the grain of the wood. You are clueless, dude

I was referring to the direction of the wood lengths. Instead of continuing in the same direction, it's perpendicular.
If it's a 1920s house, the original handrail must have been demo'd. That thing looks like something out of Home Depot. It looks 'weak' compared to it's surroundings. (I know you aren't the Designer)

I was referring to the direction of the wood lengths. Instead of continuing in the same direction, it's perpendicular.
If it's a 1920s house, the original handrail must have been demo'd. That thing looks like something out of Home Depot. It looks 'weak' compared to it's surroundings. (I know you aren't the Designer)

Flooring is installed 90 degrees to the direction of the floor framing (joists) so the direction of the framing in that room changes with respect to the framing in the rest of the house. You don't know much about construction. LOL

The railing is custom made. It's craftsmanship like we don't see today. The balisters are welded to the railing. Welders had to have made it in place. It wraps at the top of the stairs and heads back and around the foyer opening. You are dead wrong thinking it's cheap. It would be 20K or more to replicate it.

I have a love for wood. I'm so lucky I fell into the trades. It's satisfying to make things look beautiful.

My Grandfather used to work with wood, even after he was lost both legs and was in a wheelchair.

I remember a wooden chain that he carved and a lamp base that looked like it had been woven.

If I can get some equipment I need, I want to combine wood working and leather to make some unique pieces.

I made my wife a "sea chest" many years ago, with a rounded top.

Not a single screw or nail in the entire thing.

Beautiful floor. Love the inlay around the perimeter. Good looking fake fireplace. What is that at the architrave? Fake Marble? Whole Project looks GREAT.

iu

Beautiful floor. Love the inlay around the perimeter. Good looking fake fireplace. What is that at the architrave? Fake Marble? Whole Project looks GREAT.

Sorry, that was just to illustrate the refractive quality of light off wood in perpendicular directions. That's not my project, though I have photos of similar work.

Flooring is installed 90 degrees to the direction of the floor framing (joists) so the direction of the framing in that room changes with respect to the framing in the rest of the house. You don't know much about construction. LOL

The railing is custom made. It's craftsmanship like we don't see today. The balisters are welded to the railing. Welders had to have made it in place. It wraps at the top of the stairs and heads back and around the foyer opening. You are dead wrong thinking it's cheap. It would be 20K or more to replicate it.

The sub flooring is probably solid 1x6 laid vertically, but I can see the reason for going with the 90 degree direction.
I'm just commenting on what the railing looks like to ME. I think a wood railing would be more fitting. (just an opinion, I'm not the Owner. If he's happy ... everybody is happy)

Yes. Full time self employed wood floor contractor. I have no employees and only I do the work. I can afford to be picky with whom I contract and I use the negative response to gauge my price in the market. Using the go-away-price-technique I was able to find a higher threshold my customers were ready to pay. I had been priced at about $2.25/sqft for resanding and finishing. I encountered some projects I really didn't want to deal with so I priced them at nearly $4/sqft and I landed both of them. I increased my price to $4 in the future. LOL Except my loyal contractors. They only saw a $.50 increase
Haven't made it through the entire thread yet...but I can relate. Same here. Custom cabinetmaker for 40 years, self employed for 35. My customers love me. I do a lot of kitchen installations using Home Depot cabinets, because I tell them that they'll pay 5 times more if I build them a kitchen. I know the cabinet lines better than the 'designers' at HD, and all I need is for them to get my design (complete with modifications) into the computer.

Quite often, my customers tell me to keep the keys to the house in case they need me to do something. Over the years, I've stopped calling plumbers/electricians on the jobs. I just take care of it. So if a water heater blows, they just call me.

A couple of thoughts before I tell you my (exact same story as yours, albeit with a happier ending). I don't think the contractor bills them for his cost on your work. Maybe he could throw you his profit? That aside....here's my story:

A fairly new customer is now in love with me after I finished their kitchen. They wanted to have the floors refinished. About 500-600 square feet. Oak flooring, but it was solid white. Prob. had 1990's era water based poly over white paint. I remember making a mental note the first day I met them, that the floors were really white. As you know, putting white stain on oak typically makes a pinkish color, with other tones throughout. 'Pickling' was all the rage in the 80's/90's. These floors could not be stained, as they were way too white.

So my regular floor guy isn't answering my calls for a couple of weeks, and I got pissed. (turns out he was out of the country on vacation). I found another guy who does restoration work. His price was almost twice what my regular guy would charge, but he seemed to know his stuff. He too, believed that the floor was painted. I didn't end up going with him, as my regular guy finally called me.
But..he was talking about some new product that he was going to buff into the floor, after 'neutralizing' the oil in the oak after he sanded the floor. He told me he could get it white. I checked the website he gave me, and the white floor was as you would expect....translucent, not solid white.

My regular guy comes to look at the job, and claims that he can get the floor white by raising grain with water after he sands. I've been finishing wood longer than he's been alive, and I was skeptical. Still, I don't question my tradesmen.

Long story short...the floor's beautiful. But it isn't white. So, I had a similar moment with my client. She hated it, and really wanted it white. Lucky for me, I had a handful of pieces of the old floor in my kindling bin, as I took the wood floor out of the kitchen and replaced it with tile.
She tended to remember the old floor much differently than it actually was...which is common with many customers. She's actually clueless about most construction related issues, which made it tough. I told her that we'll get the floor exactly how she wants it, one way or the other. My guy kind of screwed up, because he knew what we wanted.

He told me that the only way to get it white, was to paint it. I told him to sand the inside of a closet, and leave me some paint. I'd fiddle with it. I rolled some paint on. I thinned paint, and rolled another section. Thinned more, and rolled a section. Came back the next day, and the thinned paint looked like shit. The wood really pulled on the painted section, and it looked exactly what I thought the customer wanted. You could see the open grain, but the smooth sections were solid white. I brought down the old floor pieces just so she could compare.

I met with them, and she hated the white. Says she wants to see the grain. This is a situation where I would be screwed if I didn't have the old flooring there. She remembered it much differently, and actually doesn't like it.

Happy ending. Her husband likes the floor, and she agreed that she does too.

I just have to blend the closet now...because I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time.

Sorry, that was just to illustrate the refractive quality of light off wood in perpendicular directions. That's not my project, though I have photos of similar work.

My complaint didn't have anything to do with the 'refractive quality of light off wood in perpendicular directions', it had to do with the non-uniformity of the wood grain. Some were wild swirls, others were even parallel running grains, others were knots. It look too 'busy'.

Texts and emails serve nicely but I realize they would likely not be legally binding. But having contracts didn't matter the only time I ever filed a lien, so I got the message from the government that it didn't matter. I'm at the mercy of the customer and that's just the way it is. LOL Challenge accepted
Did you have a judgement before you filed? In NY, a lien is automatic once you file your judgement with the county

Here's the new samples I did for them. View attachment 8835
The problem you floor guys have, is you can't get on your hands and knees and brush multiple coats of heavily pigmented stain. That has its own challenges, but hiding all grain is a tough prospect.

It would be a tough job to prep, but if you sprayed the stain you could hide the grain. Unfortunately, you would fog the entire house.

That doesn't look like oak. And it doesn't look like 'older' flooring.
Is that solid wood? Or is that some kind of newer 'engineered' wood flooring?
LMAO...what do you think oak looks like?

LMAO

I once removed barn siding from a fallen barn that was built in the early 1800s up in the catskills in NY state. The boards were amazing. Hemlock that was so weathered it looked like a wire brush had removed all the grain . I used the planks as flooring in my house (a renovated chicken shack from 1700s) and every board was the length of the room. The widest board was 22 inches. Most of the boards were 15 inches wide. When I sanded and coated them the patina was so rich it looked like a purplish orange color. The knots and dark spots took on a burgundy tone. It was so cool. I even sold some of the boards to a chick for her condo. She loved it. I sold it for $10/sqft installed and finished, so not a bad price for the uniqueness of the product. I've installed a few dozen floors with reclaimed wood made from salvaged beams, but that stuff doesn't compare to how awesome that barn board looked. The sad part was I removed it and installed regular hardwood when I sold the dump. It takes a love of wood to enjoy distressed floors
What did you do, screw in the face and plug, or just nail the face?

I visualize it as being an even grained wood without wild swirls or knots. Usually in 12' or 16' lengths.
That's not oak. Fir floors were common way back when, which might be what you're thinking of. Quarter sawn oak doesn't show the open grain. You typically see that on cabinets only

That's like looking at a Jetta, and saying it looks like a Camaro

Cool. I'm giving my opinion here. Pine has wide spaced grain, oak is tight spaced. Pine has a wild grain, oak is more uniform. I prefer a more traditional, tight, uniform grained floor. NOT some wild grained flooring that is so blatant that it will be distracting.

Back