Dixie, Im interested in your opinion...

It's better than the Atheist scum who doesn't want to take the oath on anything, I suppose.

You think that great american founding father and atheist - Thomas Paine - was scum?

It's better than the Atheist scum who doesn't want to take the oath on anything, I suppose.

You think that great american founding father and atheist - Thomas Paine - was scum?

DIXIE: "Atheist Scum!"

THOMAS PAINE: "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

He did, however, disparage all of that "supernatural" twaddle in the bible about Jesus being the son of God and resurection from the dead and so on. He rejected miracles and other manifestations of "God's will" in daily life.

He did not believe in what a lot of people today call faith, let's say.

I guess I'm missing something here.
How can a Deist be considered an atheist?

A deist can't be an atheist. I think ol' Jerry Brown mat have a wee bit too much cat dander floating around his senses on this one. :D

THOMAS PAINE: "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Yes, and I must point out that of the founding fathers Thomas Paine's views on religion were in the vast minority from any and all records. Doesn't make any difference, A (claimed) Christian shouldn't be calling anyone scum, IMO.

Yes, and I must point out that of the founding fathers Thomas Paine's views on religion were in the vast minority from any and all records. Doesn't make any difference, A (claimed) Christian shouldn't be calling anyone scum, IMO.

Well said.

Ahem . . .

Of course you're right: a Deist is not an atheist, by definition. Ducks didn't way "atheist" however, he said "atheistic". Now, one might well wonder just what "atheistic" means. It's a funny, fuzzy adjective. If one takes it literally then it can only be applied to atheists. I submit that Dix and his ilk don't use it literally. They use it very broadly indeed.

By many accounts, Unitarians are "atheistic." Deists, who reject most of the supernatural trappings of charismatic Christianity, are definitely "atheistic."

Split hairs with me, will you? :p

Not beliveing in a organized church does not make one an athist.

Of course you're right: a Deist is not an atheist, by definition. Ducks didn't way "atheist" however, he said "atheistic".

Well, this is what I read:

Dixie said:
It's better than the Atheist scum who doesn't want to take the oath on anything, I suppose....

Ornotbitwise said:
Wow! Dixie just called Thomas Jefferson "scum!"

Dixie said:
Thomas Jefferson was an Atheist? ....Link please?

OrnotBitwise said:
...But, since you swallowed the bait whole, I may as well go on to point out that yes, Jefferson was, by modern definition, almost certainly an atheist. Like many of his peers he called himself a Deist, but since the Deist's God does not interfere at all in the day-to-day operation of the universe, this is almost a quibble...

I didn't see any mention of "atheistic".

Woops. My bad. You're right: I was reading what I expected to see rather than what I really saw.

:igive:

Oh well. Can't win 'em all. You're still wrong about cats. :)

LOL! There are couple of cats out there that I like, but that's only because they act like dogs.

Once again. The Oath was NOT taken by any Congressman on any religious text. They pose for silly photographs afterward with their hands on things pretending that it isn't a secular non-theocratic, specifically non-religious Oath taken homogeneously with about 434 of their new "best" friends.

So, any body's opinion based on anybody taking an oath on any religious text in this particular context is wasted breath based on ignorance of the actual ceremony and not on "tradition" or knowledge.

Once again. The Oath was NOT taken by any Congressman on any religious text. They pose for silly photographs afterward with their hands on things pretending that it isn't a secular non-theocratic, specifically non-religious Oath taken homogeneously with about 434 of their new "best" friends.

So, any body's opinion based on anybody taking an oath on any religious text in this particular context is wasted breath based on ignorance of the actual ceremony and not on "tradition" or knowledge.

rightwing radio dude Dennis Praeger and noted theocon congressman Virgil Goode made this an issue.

rightwing radio dude Dennis Praeger and noted theocon congressman Virgil Goode made this an issue.
It doesn't change the facts of the matter or the perpetuation of it by stating, "He's taking an oath on the Koran..."

It's simply perpetuating a false assertion.

I could care less about some radio dude I've never heard of or some guy named Virgil who I've also not heard of. Amazingly the Congressman who made this such an "issue" is Jewish. He also knows that the Oath is taken with the left hand on nothing at all... He's being disingenuous and it is equally disingenuous to perpetuate it. Just because they are "rightwing" doesn't mean that they are right any more than a person asserting that he took an oath on a Koran from the left is any more "right". He didn't. Plain and simple. It's a lie, and you guys continue to perpetuate it.

Back