DO NOT ALLOW YOUR FAMILIES TO BE CORRUPTED BY THE EVIL SATANISM OF THE GOLDEN COMPASS

Narnia was not a piece of shit, but it is stupid to protest the Golden Compass...atheists have a right to literature, too :P

Also, I know a lot of Christians that are going to see the Golden Compass, just like I knew atheists that saw Narnia--- a good story is a good story, and subtext can be overlooked.

Narnia was not a piece of shit, but it is stupid to protest the Golden Compass...atheists have a right to literature, too :P

Also, I know a lot of Christians that are going to see the Golden Compass, just like I knew atheists that saw Narnia--- a good story is a good story, and subtext can be overlooked.
Especially deep subtext that no child would ever catch or be effected by without a strong explanation from an adult.

Especially deep subtext that no child would ever catch or be effected by without a strong explanation from an adult.

Exactly....the same thing goes for music-- I listen to a lot of music that I disagree with on an ideological basis, but I still love the lyrics and the rhythm...there is no reason to shun good art (whether musical, literary, etc.) on the basis of ideology if you truly enjoy it--- if anything it shows that you are not strong enough to be secure in your own beliefs.

Yes - I loved all of the Narnia books except for the last one, which seems to have been written as he was dying and was filled with dogmatic bullshit as his "last message". The movie, however, was terrible.

Golden Compass also was probably much better as a book than as a movie. But the movie was better than the Narnia movie.

OH wait, where'd my highbrow literary sense go?

Narnia and the Golden Compass were both trite nonsense, they had no higher purpose. It takes a refined taste to appreciate stuff better than that.

this is all pretty funny. Just another example of people having trouble seperating fantasy and entertainment from reality.

Narnia was shitty. Compass was good.

Atheists didn't protest Narnia so you guys can stfu too.

Right, get back to me on where exactly CS Lewis and Narnia attacks atheism. Promotes Christianity, yes, but the only thing it can be said to attack is paganism because the villainess is a witch... So... STFU

Right, get back to me on where exactly CS Lewis and Narnia attacks atheism. Promotes Christianity, yes, but the only thing it can be said to attack is paganism because the villainess is a witch... So... STFU

Narnia does attack atheism. In the sixth book, Sarah is cursed for refusing to "believe" anymore. Her punishment is to not be killed in the trainwreck (terrible, huh?)

As far as I know, any of the Golden Compass's "attacks" aren't any worse than that. It's true that the later two books do ascribe a "God" to being a tyrant, but he clearly isn't the same God as the Christian God. He's a disheveled angel.

Last edited:
The only way you can be offended by the Golden Compass is if you think that the Magisterium (the shady, oppressive, dogmatic group of rulers) in any way resembles the leaders of your own faith. Period.

If they do, I'm sorry to hear that for your sake.

If they don't, then please refer to my previous post and stfu.

The only way you can be offended by the Golden Compass is if you think that the Magisterium (the shady, oppressive, dogmatic group of rulers) in any way resembles the leaders of your own faith. Period.

If they do, I'm sorry to hear that for your sake.

If they don't, then please refer to my previous post and stfu.

In which case I would submit that you know nothing about art (symbolism in particular) and you asume that a fictional storyline would never set up a strawman when making its point (naive). Apparently you have never read up on what the author has had to say about his trilogy, either.

At any rate, Americans have given a big fuck you to the flim by not paying money to see a film that is designed to criticize most of them. I'll go further and say atheism sucks. :pke:

So is the totalitarian Magisterium a symbol of your Church? Do you recognize the leaders of your own faith in the Inquisitors of the Magisterium?

If so then that sucks for your sake.

In which case I would submit that you know nothing about art (symbolism in particular) and you asume that a fictional storyline would never set up a strawman when making its point (naive). Apparently you have never read up on what the author has had to say about his trilogy, either.

At any rate, Americans have given a big fuck you to the flim by not paying money to see a film that is designed to criticize most of them. I'll go further and say atheism sucks. :pke:

Atheism as a religious or non religious group whichever way you view it does suck.

Just not believeing in God or any deiety or afterlife works fine for me though.

You're just bitter because it's No. 1, has 30 Mil opening day, and you're secretly gay. Like any other film in the world would be critiscized for getting 30 mil on it's opening day - that's a fucking blockbuster by any measures. You're just in denial.

BTW -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ch...e_Lion,_the_Witch_and_the_Wardrobe#Box_office

Box office

Narnia opened with $23 million USD in 3,616 theatres on its opening day (December 9, 2005), averaging $6,363 per location. The film took in a total of $65.5 million on its opening weekend (December 9–11, 2005), the 24th best opening weekend of all time, as well as the second biggest December opening, behind The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.[22]

You see, ONLY a film like The Golden Compass would be critiscized and called a "failure" that America had said "fuck you" too because it beat Narnia by 7 million dollars.

Well, Three, America gave a big FUCK YOU to Catholiscism three hundred years ago and I hope your religion continues to die the slow death that it has forced upon itself, until it's ignorance is erased from the history books and we can live freely once more.

Last edited:
I have heard that they tried to fit too much into the movie and it is confusing. I'm reading the book right now and may watch the flick after that.

The book is supposedly the "Secular Humanist" answer to the Narnia books which were, of course, Christian based.
That's a ridiculous way of putting it. I read the books when they first came out and own at least one copy of all three. While the author is indeed an atheist or agnostic -- he vacillates -- they really have little in common with the Narnia series. They do have a humanistic bent, certainly, but so do a lot of other things.

The Chronicles of Narnia was a good series of books. The movie, however, sucked donkey dongs. Ineptly.

C. S. Lewis's writing style was sometimes annoyingly positive. The Dawn Treader was the best out of the series, and the last book in the series wasn't even worth reading.

C. S. Lewis's writing style was sometimes annoyingly positive. The Dawn Treader was the best out of the series, and the last book in the series wasn't even worth reading.
The overall story, though, was compelling. That's why it's still being read today. That movie was a shallow, boring and embarrassing piece of shite by comparison.

I'm NOT hopeful about the movie version of the Golden Compass. While the book is far from perfect, it's quite good. It isn't obvious fodder for a flick, however: it's neither simple nor all that visual. I strongly suspect that they've made a complete hash of it.

Back