Does the cosmos have a reason?

Your line of thinking is very good. There is one small chink in the armor that needs to be fixed for your reasoning to be valid. Your assertion needs to be "Given infinite time, all that is possible in each location is inevitable."

Life might not be possible in some locations. In fact, the vast majority of the universe is hostile to any sort of life (assuming extrapolation/extension of the observable universe into the unobservable universe).

However, this is where your infinite universe comes into play. An infinite universe creates an infinite number of locations in which life is possible, and thus inevitable. This is a variation on the Infinite Monkey Theorem.

Well done.
do you also believe that a thousand monkey with typewriters over infinity would eventually write Shakespeare?

this is horse pooey for idiots.

this is an extension of nihilist post modernism.

do you also believe that a thousand monkey with typewriters over infinity would eventually right Shakespeare?

this is horse pooey for idiots.
What seems pretty clear is that you don't really have a grasp of mathematics. That's OK, though; it's not a life requirement.

You probably should refrain from commenting on such, however; you're going to be objectively mistaken.

What seems pretty clear is that you don't really have a grasp of mathematics. That's OK, though; it's not a life requirement.

You probably should refrain from commenting on such, however; you're going to be objectively mistaken.
math is abstact. math can be infinite.

this does not mean "everthing will happen"..

its prima facie moronic.

:truestory:

a thousand monkeys will never type Shakespeare.

you wanna fund the experiment and bet on the outcome?

math is abstact. math can be infinite.
Math is concrete. Math can be finite.

this does not mean "everthing will happen"..
Correct. It appears that you misunderstood something.

a thousand monkeys will never type Shakespeare.
Make that you definitely misunderstood the Infinite Monkey Theorem. Hint: It doesn't really have anything to do with monkeys; it's all about randomness and probability.

Probability is a ratio: the number of successful outcomes divided by the total number of possibilities. Probabilities of chemical reactions occurring over a given time interval (given existing conditions) can be determined. Once you have a probability, no matter how small it might be, you can do the math and verify that infinity multiplied by any epsilon greater than zero will result in absolute certainty.

I recommend some quick reading on Limits.

Math is concrete. Math can be finite.

Correct. It appears that you misunderstood something.

Make that you definitely misunderstood the Infinite Monkey Theorem. Hint: It doesn't really have anything to do with monkeys; it's all about randomness and probability.

Probability is a ratio: the number of successful outcomes divided by the total number of possibilities. Probabilities of chemical reactions occurring over a given time interval (given existing conditions) can be determined. Once you have a probability, no matter how small it might be, you can do the math and verify that infinity multiplied by any epsilon greater than zero will result in absolute certainty.

I recommend some quick reading on Limits.
no.

math is symbolic. of course these symbols are most often used to represent reality.

you're full of bullshit.

you actually believe the thousand monkey thing.

that's how dumb you are.

No, if life is defined as organic based biology.

Carbon and complex organic molecules weren't created until millions of years after the big bang.
So no intelligent control ,so it's all just coincidence?
Coincidence made a bladder,prostate,liver,kidneys,taint,stomach ETC and they all interact coincidentally! That's your claim to fame!

So no intelligent control ,so it's all just coincidence?
Coincidence made a bladder,prostate,liver,kidneys,taint,stomach ETC and they all interact coincidentally! That's your claim to fame!
You didn't ask me if there was some force or principle underlying the rational intelligibility of the universe.

You asked if there was a life - i.e., biology - that caused the universe. Biology was not physically possible until many hundreds of millions of years after the big bang. It's not up to me to rephrase or fix your questions, I can only respond to what you wrote.

You didn't ask me if there was some force or principle underlying the rational intelligibility of the universe.

You asked if there was a life - i.e., biology - that caused the universe. Biology was not physically possible until many hundreds of millions of years after the big bang. It's not up to me to rephrase or fix your questions, I can only respond to what you wrote.
Deflection! Is there intelligent design behind the universe and the physical body,or is it all just coincidence!

Deflection! Is there intelligent design behind the universe and the physical body,or is it all just coincidence!
Not deflection, a direct answer to the question you asked. It's not up to me to fix your questions.

Now you are asking a different question.

It seems to me that a rationally lawful universe requires a law-giver, whatever that may be.

It seems to me that a rationally lawful universe requires a law-giver, whatever that may be.
Agreed. While it's possible such a force is unintelligent, i.e. dumb luck, I strongly doubt it. Such a force would be outside time and space, which are limitations within our Universe.

What lies beyond the Universe is unknown, but, as Alan Watts once stated, "everything with an inside has an outside".

There's also the thought shared by many religions and philosophers that everything, including all of us, are connected. One way of being connected is that we are all little pieces of God with the illusion of individuality.

Is Death an Illusion? Evidence Suggests Death Isn’t the End
After the death of his old friend, Albert Einstein said "Now Besso has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us ... know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

New evidence continues to suggest that Einstein was right, death is an illusion.

Our classical way of thinking is based on the belief that the world has an objective observer-independent existence. But a long list of experiments shows just the opposite. We think life is just the activity of carbon and an admixture of molecules: we live awhile and then rot into the ground.

We believe in death because we've been taught we die. Also, of course, because we associate ourselves with our body and we know bodies die. End of story. But biocentrism, a new theory of everything, tells us death may not be the terminal event we think.

The Biocentric Universe Theory: Life Creates Time, Space, and the Cosmos Itself​

In 1997 University of Geneva physicist Nicolas Gisin sent two entangled photons zooming along optical fibers until they were seven miles apart. One photon then hit a two-way mirror where it had a choice: either bounce off or go through. Detectors recorded what it randomly did. But whatever action it took, its entangled twin always performed the complementary action. The communication between the two happened at least 10,000 times faster than the speed of light. It seems that quantum news travels instantaneously, limited by no external constraints — not even the speed of light. Since then, other researchers have duplicated and refined Gisin’s work. Today no one questions the immediate nature of this connectedness between bits of light or matter, or even entire clusters of atoms.

Before these experiments most physicists believed in an objective, independent universe. They still clung to the assumption that physical states exist in some absolute sense before they are measured.

All of this is now gone for keeps.

Agreed. While it's possible such a force is unintelligent, i.e. dumb luck, I strongly doubt it. Such a force would be outside time and space, which are limitations within our Universe.

What lies beyond the Universe is unknown, but, as Alan Watts once stated, "everything with an inside has an outside".

There's also the thought shared by many religions and philosophers that everything, including all of us, are connected. One way of being connected is that we are all little pieces of God with the illusion of individuality.

Is Death an Illusion? Evidence Suggests Death Isn’t the End
After the death of his old friend, Albert Einstein said "Now Besso has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us ... know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

New evidence continues to suggest that Einstein was right, death is an illusion.

Our classical way of thinking is based on the belief that the world has an objective observer-independent existence. But a long list of experiments shows just the opposite. We think life is just the activity of carbon and an admixture of molecules: we live awhile and then rot into the ground.

We believe in death because we've been taught we die. Also, of course, because we associate ourselves with our body and we know bodies die. End of story. But biocentrism, a new theory of everything, tells us death may not be the terminal event we think.

The Biocentric Universe Theory: Life Creates Time, Space, and the Cosmos Itself​

In 1997 University of Geneva physicist Nicolas Gisin sent two entangled photons zooming along optical fibers until they were seven miles apart. One photon then hit a two-way mirror where it had a choice: either bounce off or go through. Detectors recorded what it randomly did. But whatever action it took, its entangled twin always performed the complementary action. The communication between the two happened at least 10,000 times faster than the speed of light. It seems that quantum news travels instantaneously, limited by no external constraints — not even the speed of light. Since then, other researchers have duplicated and refined Gisin’s work. Today no one questions the immediate nature of this connectedness between bits of light or matter, or even entire clusters of atoms.

Before these experiments most physicists believed in an objective, independent universe. They still clung to the assumption that physical states exist in some absolute sense before they are measured.

All of this is now gone for keeps.
Agreed. Mathematical order and lawful organization doesn't just pop into existence out of chaos or nothingness. It seems like it would require some type of underlying rational organizing principle.

I hadn't heard of this biocentric theory, but it seems to dovetail with some interpretations of quantum mechanics.

Agreed. Mathematical order and lawful organization doesn't just pop into existence out of chaos or nothingness. It seems like it would require some type of underlying rational organizing principle.

I hadn't heard of this biocentric theory, but it seems to dovetail with some interpretations of quantum mechanics.
The links mention that but Quantum Physics is a subject which quickly exceeds my areas of expertise.

The links mention that but Quantum Physics is a subject which quickly exceeds my areas of expertise.
The standard interpretation of quantum mechanics is just that the location and momentum of matter or particles don't exist in some independent objective state, until they are measured and observed. They seem to exist as some probability distribution called the wave function. We don't notice it at the macro scale our eyes operate at. But if can be experimentally determined at the subatomic level.

Which seems to be a theme mentioned in the blurb you posted

The standard interpretation of quantum mechanics is just that the location and momentum of matter or particles don't exist in some independent objective state, until they are measured and observed. They seem to exist as some probability distribution called the wave function. We don't notice it at the macro scale our eyes operate at. But if can be experimentally determined at the subatomic level.

Which seems to be a theme mentioned in the blurb you posted
Understood about events happening at levels beyond our ability to naturally perceive them, but my best understanding "Wave Function" was almost drowning in the ocean once. Aside from that, it's the oscilloscope on Outer Limits:

OTOH, while searching for the Outer Limits opening, I came across this 1963 picture of Sally Kellerman. This I understand very much!
Oh, and I'm sure something important was happening around the 34:15 mark, but I was way too distracted by the gap between her shirt buttons.
The+Gap.png

Last edited:
Understood about events happening at levels beyond our ability to naturally perceive them, but my best understanding "Wave Function" was almost drowning in the ocean once. Aside from that, it's the oscilloscope on Outer Limits:

OTOH, while searching for the Outer Limits opening, I came across this 1963 picture of Sally Kellerman. This I understand very much!
Oh, and I'm sure something important was happening around the 34:15 mark, but I was way too distracted by the gap between her shirt buttons.
The+Gap.png
Never watched that show, but I dug the Twighlight Zone!

Never watched that show, but I dug the Twighlight Zone!
Both are great although I give the edge to TZ. :)

Pluto TV has them free on streaming:

Both are great although I give the edge to TZ. :)

Pluto TV has them free on streaming:
I seem to remember seeing William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy on TZ, long before they rocketed to fame in Trek.

Back