Dried Fruit "Added Sugars" Down The Drain!

Hello Althea,

What you say it true. I'd remind you what happened when Bloomberg made Big Gulps illegal in NYC. Or what happened when FLOTUS Obama changed dietary guidelines in schools.

Everything in Capitalism is guided by profit. Healthy outcomes have absolutely no consideration. Why do you think Europe won't eat our tainted meat/corn?

The thought that government should never interfere in the capitalist market is absurd, but strong. And certainly to the point on indifference that some will die and others will bear the cost/burden. No problem for the pro-capitalists. That's why I always say the best system is a hybrid combination of the two, looking for the best of each while minimizing the worst. And to be honest, we have had just such a hybrid system ever since the Great Depression, when we learned how bad it can be with no safety net. Our current challenge is to get the balance right. How much of each? What's the best trade off?

I'm all for the profit motive, but we can't be stupid. We know this can lead to dangerous/unhealthy capitalism, the downside of capitalism. We need to think about what we are doing.

Hello Althea,

Much like legumes, the root nodules do fix N, but typically only enough for the clover plant. Letting it grow and turning it under in the fall can't hurt.

Not much point in turning it under. It's going to come right back up anyway. I would just use some ground cover to slow it down. I'm trying to avoid turning the soil too much. I decided a great ground cover is to just create a compost pile right in the grow bed during the off season. NOW, we are adding some nutrients naturally...

Hello Althea,

Buy a dehydrator and make raisins. You can do tomatoes too. When you have an over abundance of anything, dehydrating tends to be the best way to use it. There's so much water in fruit, you probably reduce mass by 3/4.

Totally agreed. Got one. Great results, although it is a time-eater to tend it.

I like dried fruit. Dried fruit is a part of my diet.

I do not like "Added Sugars."

If you look on the contents you will find that a lot of dried fruit has "Added Sugars."

Cranberries, blueberries, raisins, dates, cherries all have added sugars. I suppose the corporate wizards have decided they will sell more product if it has a sweeter taste. Most processed foods have added ingredients from the big three popular added ingredients: Sugar, Fat, and Salt. Corporate reasoning goes like this: Add one or more of these ingredients, in the right combinations, and you will sell more product. And these things are cheap.

I began wondering just how they add sugars to dried fruit. I couldn't imagine using a hypodermic needle to inject sugar into blueberries, no. It has to be a process that's cheap and easily done on a mass scale. I noticed that these dried fruits are a little sticky. It must be a coating that is sprayed on.

I did some searching online. I am not the only one to wonder about this. And there seems to be no consensus. I would like to see an investigative reporting expose on it.

I wondered if I could remove the added sugars.

I did an experiment in my own kitchen. (Hey, some things they just don't tell ya, so ya have to figure them out for yourself.)

I took some dried fruit with added sugars and put it in a bowl. Then I added water and waited ten minutes.

Then I tasted the water.

You guessed it. It tasted strongly like sugar.

I poured it off.

Guess what?

It looked like corn syrup. A brown mixture (yuk.)

Now that makes sense. Corn syrup is darn cheap. And not very good for you. Who buys corn syrup and cooks with it? I never heard a 100-year-old talk of doing that.

I tasted the fruit. You guessed it. Now it tasted more like raw fruit. Not so sickenly sweet any more.

Yaay!

So now I have a new process. I de-process this processed food before I eat it. It's simple.

Added sugars down the drain. I wish they would not even put them in. I can't even find these dried fruits without the added sugars. No demand for it, I guess. Dumb corporations. I can't be the only one. My waistline thanks me. I want the health benefits of fruit and it's not always possible to get a wide variety of fresh fruits. That's why dried fruit is part of my diet. Now, thanks to a bit of ingenuity, added sugars are not.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR just dry your own fruit?? It isn't that hard to do... I do it all the time.

Why not "just" grow your own fruit.... and vegetables.... and raise your own beef, pork and poultry?

Because IT'S TOO MUCH WORK!!!!

Most people have too many other more important things on their minds nowadays without adding fruit drying to the list. :rolleyes:

It doesn't take long at all to wash, cut and peel off skin, and place fruit onto a dehydrator. After that, let the thing run all day while you do other shit (or all night while you sleep) and voila, dried fruit. I dry my own apples all the time for a nice little sweet snack to go along with my heavily meat based diet when I come home from work.

Hello Althea,

Not much point in turning it under. It's going to come right back up anyway. I would just use some ground cover to slow it down. I'm trying to avoid turning the soil too much. I decided a great ground cover is to just create a compost pile right in the grow bed during the off season. NOW, we are adding some nutrients naturally...
Depends on your climate. Nothing composts in winter in cold regions.

Hello Althea,

And to figure out the balance of the two that works for you.
Well...you have the perfect scenario. You have an abundance out in the garden, and a need to 'get rid' of some of it. If you chose to purchase fruit to dehydrate, you'd find that it costs $25/pound!

Hello Althea,

Well...you have the perfect scenario. You have an abundance out in the garden, and a need to 'get rid' of some of it. If you chose to purchase fruit to dehydrate, you'd find that it costs $25/pound!

Yes, it is quite outrageous what they get for it.

It doesn't take long at all to wash, cut and peel off skin, and place fruit onto a dehydrator. After that, let the thing run all day while you do other shit (or all night while you sleep) and voila, dried fruit. I dry my own apples all the time for a nice little sweet snack to go along with my heavily meat based diet when I come home from work.

Good grief, get yourself a food dehydrator and make your own dried fruit you fucking retard.

My first thought upon reading his drivel.

Well, speaking of drivel...

if a typical day for you two is so empty and devoid of anything better to do than fuss over cutting, peeling and arranging fruit in a dehydrator, then too bad for you.

Most people have better things to do, not to mention not needing or wanting yet another piece of kitchen junk taking up cupboard and counter space.

I mean, look at the size of this thing.... :whoa:

71VwnPj-zRL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Most people are not that into or serious about dried fruit that they'd fork out 40 or 50 bucks for something that's going to end up stashed away in the back of a cabinet for years before finally ending up at the local Goodwill.

Effing ridiculous.

Those do great w/ jerky as well.. Been using mine for years...

I have a slicer, but most grocery store butchers will slice the meat if you purchase there.. Just tell them what you are doing & if you want it thin or a thicker cut for more chewy...

If anyone can do it w/o resorting to meds, more power to them. Do you occasionally indulge in something forbidden, or does that just make it harder to stay the course?

Last time I tried that,I ate mash potatoes,I thought it would spike it up!
Instead it nose divided to 64,because of a insulin response,which is a bad thing!
Cheating is dangerous thing to do!

Well, speaking of drivel...

if a typical day for you two is so empty and devoid of anything better to do than fuss over cutting, peeling and arranging fruit in a dehydrator, then too bad for you.
I get a lot done in a day that I dehydrate my food. It takes no longer to do than preparing a meal (less time in plenty of cases).

Most people have better things to do, not to mention not needing or wanting yet another piece of kitchen junk taking up cupboard and counter space.
Stop buying "kitchen junk" that can only be used for a single purpose then.

I mean, look at the size of this thing.... :whoa:

71VwnPj-zRL._AC_SX522_.jpg
They really aren't that big at all.

Most people are not that into or serious about dried fruit that they'd fork out 40 or 50 bucks for something that's going to end up stashed away in the back of a cabinet for years before finally ending up at the local Goodwill.

Effing ridiculous.
Not that much money at all. It pays for itself in no-time.

Back