Drunk Rodney King Shot! BAC get yo ass over to LA and teach those Korean Store Owners

Because it is pure BS...damo

I've always felt sorry for Rodney King. Imagine becoming famous for what is likely to be the worst day of your life, then only hitting the news when something sucky happens again.

The guy has some serious karma. I hope that he can begin to just live sometime. That way we can stop hearing about what those cops did. I can't believe that all cops out there aren't embarrassed about this rather than attempting to defend it.

This case was hyped up to go after LE...and to avoid a riot, the officers involved were tarred and feathered...Rodney has serious drug problems not MJ mind ya, PCP has been in his life and continues today...he puts himself in the position of being arrested over and over again for theft and domestic violence etc...I do not feel sorry for Rodney...and I sure as hell am not an embarrased 'cop' I don't have a pc bone in my body...I react to facts not hype and sentiment...sorry thats me...!

Fine..................

Jury Awards $6.5 Million in Frame-Up
Public defender for a man falsely imprisoned and shot by Rampart officers should have uncovered the police misconduct, panel finds.
By Andrew Blankstein
Times Staff Writer

May 26, 2005

A man who was falsely imprisoned after being shot and framed by corrupt Rampart gang officers nearly a decade ago was awarded $6.5 million in damages Wednesday by a jury that found his county public defender was negligent for failing to uncover the police misconduct.

Javier Francisco Ovando was paralyzed after he was shot by former Los Angeles police officers Rafael Perez and Nino Durden in 1996, but was later convicted and served 2 1/2 years of a 23-year sentence in state prison after the pair testified that he attacked them.

The conviction was overturned after the two officers emerged as key figures in the Rampart corruption scandal, which involved dozens of cases of police misconduct including beatings, shootings and false arrests of gang members.

So far, the scandal has cost the city more than $70 million from settlements, caused more than a dozen officers to leave the force and resulted in more than 100 overturned criminal convictions.

Ovando, who was a 19-year-old gang member at the time of the shooting, already has collected $15 million in damages from the city of Los Angeles in connection with the actions of Perez and Durden.

Perez was sentenced to two years in prison for violating Ovando's civil rights. He also served three years in state prison for stealing cocaine from LAPD evidence lockers. He was released in 2001.

Durden, 36, eventually pleaded guilty to crimes he committed with Perez; he received a five-year prison sentence in August 2002. He was released last month after serving less than three years behind bars.

With Wednesday's verdict, the jury found that Deputy Public Defender Tamar Toister and Los Angeles County were 100% liable for the compensatory damages.

The award stunned officials with the public defender's office, who could not recall any malpractice verdicts against their office.

In 2000, the state Supreme Court lifted what had been considered broad immunity against state-appointed counsel.

"We're shocked at the verdict and do not believe that Ms. Toister committed malpractice or was negligent," said Chief Deputy Public Defender Robert Kalunian. "We don't understand how the jury found that the two officers, who have publicly admitted that they lied and framed Mr. Ovando, were zero percent responsible for his conviction and incarceration. I don't believe the verdict will stand."

Senior County Counsel Roger Granbo said his office was considering its legal options.

Juror Teresa Reese, one of three who voted against the payout, said she believed some of her fellow panel members voted to award damages because they were sympathetic to the wheelchair-bound defendant. Others, she said, seemed confused about the judge's instructions to the jury.

"Some of the jurors were second-guessing [Toister's] legal strategy instead of following the judge's instructions to focus on the evidence," Reese said. "They couldn't lay the blame on Perez or Durden, so they blamed the public defender instead."

But attorney Gregory W. Moreno said the jury rightfully saw that Toister and the county could have stopped Rampart before it started with a healthy dose of skepticism.

"How could so many people be victimized by dirty cops?" Moreno said after the trial. "The reason is because the legal protections in the system failed them. They are supposed to catch the lies. They were supposed to be the firewall."

At trial, Moreno argued that Toister failed to listen to Ovando after he repeatedly told her the officers had planted a weapon on him after the shooting.

The attorney also argued that Toister failed to check the personnel files of the officers, interview witnesses who would have contradicted their stories and explore inconsistencies in the officers' statements.

To make the point, he called Perez to testify. The disgraced former officer detailed how he and Durden shot the unarmed Ovando as he walked into a vacant apartment the two officers were using as an observation post to monitor gang activity.

Perez then told jurors how he and his partner obtained an assault rifle from an informant and shaved the serial number off the weapon before planting it on the wounded man

Now would you be so kind as to post ...the same type of harm to Police Officers/civilians by criminals in this same district as well as across the country...there are bad apples in every walk of life...I just get tired of y'all just posting a one sided look on things..and justifying every case involving LE as suspicious and exaggerated!

I am familiar with this case...the officers did do wrong...no doubt about it...however working Gangs can get to a officer...this is not a excuse but a fact of life!..However this is not the same as the Rodney King case...apples and oranges...counselor

Last edited:
Then you justify citizens fear of their own police departments. You justify the anger, rage, and disconnect from the mainstream that a great many people, especially youth maintain.

The abuse of citizens by LAPD cops is documented and proven. Making excuses for the most obvious case of police brutality in modern times on ly widens the chasm between the police and the community.

No excusess being made by me. I maintain the police were convicted out of political expediency. The civil rights trial was conducted out of political need.

Of course there will be abuses of authority by cops, the issue is whether or not such abuse is part of an organisation's entire culture or if it's in a particular area or if it's usually isolated to individuals at given times. It's fine to come up with sweeping condemnations but they're usually inaccurate.

blackascoal: said:
There was a case in LA were sheriff's deputies disguising themselves as just citizens, called their own station and reported loud noises coming from a house so they could get dispatched to that house to check it out. These fuckwads thought "drugs" were at the house. When the occupant of the house, a pregnant woman answered the door holding the broom she was using to sweep her floors, one of these "should be killed" fuckwads shot the woman in the stomach killing her baby. They should have been killed by the community.

Were they dealt with, I mean dealt with officially?

I can fill this server up with horrific cases of police brutality and murder from all over this country and there remains one solid communality among most of the cases .. the victims were black and hispanic.

No doubt you can. I won't try and minimise it, there is embedded conflict between police and minority groups in many big cities in the US. I'm trying to work out in my own mind why that is.

Where are the white Rodney Kings? If this had been a white man being pummeled by black cops white people, including cops, would have been up in arms.

King's colour has never been an issue for me. His actions were the issue. The reponse by the police was the issue. Apparently someone's colour is important in the discourse of law enforcement and just about anything else in the US. I don't understand it. I've never been in a country where skin colour was such an issue all the time. It comes down to (a) black good, white bad or (b) white good, black bad etc. All bullshit.

How many white women get shot in the stomach killing their unborn child by the police? If this had been a white woman it would have been broadcast all over the country and the sympathy would have beend decidedly for the woman.

Really I don't know the answer to the first part of the question, the information must be available somewhere though. The second part is hypothetical of course, don't know either way but again, the colour business intrudes. As I said, I don't understand it. Any woman being killed by police in these circumstances is horrific, I would assume the police have been dealt with.

You justify citizens having the right to self-defense and the killing of police officers. Personally, I think more out-of-control cops should be killed by citizens protecting themselves. Fuck them being above the law while they murder and abuse innocent citizens.

There are consequences for this kind of mindless brutality.

I don't know the laws of the various states but at common law anyone has the right to use force to defend themselves from unlawful attck, whether that be from the police or the average thug.

Sorry I pasted that to the reply box and then had to go work on a TRO and then came back a couple of hours later.

No excusess being made by me. I maintain the police were convicted out of political expediency. The civil rights trial was conducted out of political need.

They were convicted because they brutally beat an unarmed citizen and because a blind man could see the travesty of the whitewash in the first criminal trial.

The difficulty you and I are having has nothing to do with the trial and everything to do with you not seeing out-of-control police abuse in the video. Regardless of sanctioned procedures and what might be legal the images speak for themselves .. and if there are police who fail to see what is clearly visible to the vast majority of Americans, then there is indeed a problem.

Of course there will be abuses of authority by cops, the issue is whether or not such abuse is part of an organisation's entire culture or if it's in a particular area or if it's usually isolated to individuals at given times. It's fine to come up with sweeping condemnations but they're usually inaccurate.

The abuses should be addressed as abuses and not swept under the rug, turned the blind eye towards, excused and hidden behind "regulations", and treated as every other criminal case in court. That does not, my friend, appear to be the criteria you are applying in this case. There is, was, and shall never be a valid excuse for what cops did in that incident.

Were they dealt with, I mean dealt with officially?

The only reason these scumbag cops got any justice was because of the anger and outrage that exploded because of it. It would have been swept under the rug just as most cases like ths are.

Here's an example of what I mean ..

A Travesty in Columbus, Georgia -Will this nonsense ever end?????

The following was forwarded to me in the form of a letter shortly after this murder happened. It was written by a fraternity brother of Kenneth Walker:

Kenneth B. Walker was a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

He was another innocent, unarmed African American male who was brutally murdered by so called "law enforcement".

On December 10, 2003 a local sheriff's special unit targeted 4 black men riding in an expensive SUV as possible "drug suspects". The reality of the matter is that every individual in that SUV was a college graduate, as well as responsible citizen. These four innocent men were dragged from their vehicle at gunpoint, and forced to lie on the side of a major Interstate like animals. Simultaneously one of the "John Wayne" sheriffs made a conscious decision to shoot Kenny Walker in the front of the head twice, with a H&K MP5 assault rifle.

The coward who shot Kenny claimed that he made a "judgment call" because he couldn't see Kenny's right hand. While Kenny lie dying on the side of the road, the bastards knowing full well at this point that they had targeted the wrong vehicle, still harassed the other 3 gentlemen. They placed them in 3 separate cars and held them in 3 separate cells. Furthermore, Kenny was shot at 9:00pm and his family was not notified until 1:30 am. They didn't even get a chance to say their farewells, because he died before they arrived. Of course they found no guns or contraband in the vehicle. 6 hours later they released the other men. They gave the driver his keys and said, and I quote "you're free to go, by the way your friend is dead".

Kenneth Walker was a loving husband, devoted father and responsible civic oriented individual who was involved in the local community. Not only had Kenny never been in trouble with law; when they pulled his record they couldn't even find a speeding ticket! So what it amounts to is that if you are a black male in this country, no matter how righteous, your life is subject to come down to a "judgment call". To add insult to injustice, this tragedy is being stonewalled and quietly swept under the rug by local government officials. From what we understand, the entire incident was caught on tape. The Sheriff's Department is refusing to release the tape, which is a matter of public record under the "Freedom of Information" Act.

Columbus is a small town. The "Good Old Boy" network is very much alive there and the longer they hold the tape, the more likely it will be altered or disappear all together (remember the 90 seconds missing from the Cincinnati tape).
http://strongblkwoman.blogspot.com/2005/07/travesty-in-columbus-georgia-will-this.html

Walker, an engineer, left a loving wife and 3 year-old daughter .. he's dead and gine forever .. and here's the punch line .. the cop that shot this innocent man dead was acquitted of all charges.

See if you can find the white example of Kenneth Walker. I have a thousand such stories of innocent people being murdered by police.

Try this one ...

Cops Shoot, Kill 92-Year-Old Woman After She Opens Fire on Them
Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A police official said narcotics officers were justified in returning fire on a 92-year-old woman they shot to death after she shot them as they tried to serve a warrant at her house.

Neighbors and relatives said it was a case of mistaken identity. But police said the woman, identified as Kathryn Johnston, was the only resident in the house at the time and had lived there for about 17 years.

Assistant Chief Alan Dreher said the officers had a legal warrant and "knocked and announced" before they forced open the door. He said they were justified in shooting once they were fired upon.

As the plainclothes Atlanta police officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, striking each of them, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman.

One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder. The officers were taken to a hospital for treatment, and all three were conscious and alert, police said.

Sarah Dozier, identified as a niece of the woman, told WAGA-TV that there were never any drugs at the house. "My aunt was in good health. I'm sure she panicked when they kicked that door down," Dozier said. "There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231364,00.html

Here's the punch line ...

Monday, 30 April 2007

Police officers kill 92-year-old and plant drugs as their cover story
'Two police officers pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the shooting death of a 92-year-old woman during a botched drug raid last fall. A third officer still faces charges. Officer J.R. Smith told a state judge Thursday that he regretted what had happened."I'm sorry," the 35-year-old said, his voice barely audible. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter, violation of oath, criminal solicitation, making false statements and perjury, which was based on claims in a warrant.

Former Officer Gregg Junnier, 40, who retired from the Atlanta police in January, pleaded guilty to manslaughter, violation of oath, criminal solicitation and making false statements. Both men are expected to face more than 10 years in prison.'

http://www.davidicke.com/content/view/6666/48/

There were no drugs in the house, there had never been a "buy" at the house and in fact, theses scumbag cops tried to threaten an informant to claim that he'd bought drugs there when he had not. She did not, Annie Oakley style, shoot all three cops as claimed, they shot themselves.

See if you can find an example of a 92 year old white woman being gunned down as she sat alone in her own home.

I could go on ...

The point is that while you're looking at "regulations" and trying to find rationale for the brutal beating of an unarmed man, citizens are being murdered, set-up, extorted, and abused. You're looking at the plight of cops first instead of through the eyes of those they are supposed to protect.

No doubt you can. I won't try and minimise it, there is embedded conflict between police and minority groups in many big cities in the US. I'm trying to work out in my own mind why that is.

It exists because of plain as day police brutality and the attempts to justfy that brutality .. and for the racist nature of that brutality.

King's colour has never been an issue for me. His actions were the issue. The reponse by the police was the issue. Apparently someone's colour is important in the discourse of law enforcement and just about anything else in the US. I don't understand it. I've never been in a country where skin colour was such an issue all the time. It comes down to (a) black good, white bad or (b) white good, black bad etc. All bullshit.

It's a day in the land of the free.

Really I don't know the answer to the first part of the question, the information must be available somewhere though. The second part is hypothetical of course, don't know either way but again, the colour business intrudes. As I said, I don't understand it. Any woman being killed by police in these circumstances is horrific, I would assume the police have been dealt with.

The cops were acquitted on the basis that the broom the woman was holding constituted a threat to the officers and gave them justifiable reason to murder her unborn child.

I don't know the laws of the various states but at common law anyone has the right to use force to defend themselves from unlawful attck, whether that be from the police or the average thug.

Cops are above the law and killing one, no matter how justifiable, makes the shooter guilty .. especially if black or hispanic.

Last edited:
They were convicted because they brutally beat an unarmed citizen and because a blind man could see the travesty of the whitewash in the first criminal trial.

We'll have to agree to disagree there I think.

The difficulty you and I are having has nothing to do with the trial and everything to do with you not seeing out-of-control police abuse in the video. Regardless of sanctioned procedures and what might be legal the images speak for themselves .. and if there are police who fail to see what is clearly visible to the vast majority of Americans, then there is indeed a problem.

Again it's probably perspective. I know a belting when I see one and in my opinion, having seen the whole of the tape, not a few minutes, this wasn't an unlawful belting. But again I think it's a case of agreeing to disagree.

The abuses should be addressed as abuses and not swept under the rug, turned the blind eye towards, excused and hidden behind "regulations", and treated as every other criminal case in court. That does not, my friend, appear to be the criteria you are applying in this case. There is, was, and shall never be a valid excuse for what cops did in that incident.

We're cementing our respective positions, but again, on this one I think neither of us are going to give ground.

The only reason these scumbag cops got any justice was because of the anger and outrage that exploded because of it. It would have been swept under the rug just as most cases like ths are.

I could easily say that the only reason the cops faced federal civil rights prosecution was because of the reaction.

Here's an example of what I mean ..

A Travesty in Columbus, Georgia -Will this nonsense ever end?????

The following was forwarded to me in the form of a letter shortly after this murder happened. It was written by a fraternity brother of Kenneth Walker:

Kenneth B. Walker was a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

He was another innocent, unarmed African American male who was brutally murdered by so called "law enforcement".

On December 10, 2003 a local sheriff's special unit targeted 4 black men riding in an expensive SUV as possible "drug suspects". The reality of the matter is that every individual in that SUV was a college graduate, as well as responsible citizen. These four innocent men were dragged from their vehicle at gunpoint, and forced to lie on the side of a major Interstate like animals. Simultaneously one of the "John Wayne" sheriffs made a conscious decision to shoot Kenny Walker in the front of the head twice, with a H&K MP5 assault rifle.

The coward who shot Kenny claimed that he made a "judgment call" because he couldn't see Kenny's right hand. While Kenny lie dying on the side of the road, the bastards knowing full well at this point that they had targeted the wrong vehicle, still harassed the other 3 gentlemen. They placed them in 3 separate cars and held them in 3 separate cells. Furthermore, Kenny was shot at 9:00pm and his family was not notified until 1:30 am. They didn't even get a chance to say their farewells, because he died before they arrived. Of course they found no guns or contraband in the vehicle. 6 hours later they released the other men. They gave the driver his keys and said, and I quote "you're free to go, by the way your friend is dead".

Kenneth Walker was a loving husband, devoted father and responsible civic oriented individual who was involved in the local community. Not only had Kenny never been in trouble with law; when they pulled his record they couldn't even find a speeding ticket! So what it amounts to is that if you are a black male in this country, no matter how righteous, your life is subject to come down to a "judgment call". To add insult to injustice, this tragedy is being stonewalled and quietly swept under the rug by local government officials. From what we understand, the entire incident was caught on tape. The Sheriff's Department is refusing to release the tape, which is a matter of public record under the "Freedom of Information" Act.

Columbus is a small town. The "Good Old Boy" network is very much alive there and the longer they hold the tape, the more likely it will be altered or disappear all together (remember the 90 seconds missing from the Cincinnati tape).
http://strongblkwoman.blogspot.com/2005/07/travesty-in-columbus-georgia-will-this.html

Walker, an engineer, left a loving wife and 3 year-old daughter .. he's dead and gine forever .. and here's the punch line .. the cop that shot this innocent man dead was acquitted of all charges.

See if you can find the white example of Kenneth Walker. I have a thousand such stories of innocent people being murdered by police.

I'll have a look for that one. Acquittal? By a jury? Anyway I shall look for it.

Try this one ...

Cops Shoot, Kill 92-Year-Old Woman After She Opens Fire on Them
Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A police official said narcotics officers were justified in returning fire on a 92-year-old woman they shot to death after she shot them as they tried to serve a warrant at her house.

Neighbors and relatives said it was a case of mistaken identity. But police said the woman, identified as Kathryn Johnston, was the only resident in the house at the time and had lived there for about 17 years.

Assistant Chief Alan Dreher said the officers had a legal warrant and "knocked and announced" before they forced open the door. He said they were justified in shooting once they were fired upon.

As the plainclothes Atlanta police officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, striking each of them, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman.

One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder. The officers were taken to a hospital for treatment, and all three were conscious and alert, police said.

Sarah Dozier, identified as a niece of the woman, told WAGA-TV that there were never any drugs at the house. "My aunt was in good health. I'm sure she panicked when they kicked that door down," Dozier said. "There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231364,00.html

Here's the punch line ...

Monday, 30 April 2007

Police officers kill 92-year-old and plant drugs as their cover story
'Two police officers pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the shooting death of a 92-year-old woman during a botched drug raid last fall. A third officer still faces charges. Officer J.R. Smith told a state judge Thursday that he regretted what had happened."I'm sorry," the 35-year-old said, his voice barely audible. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter, violation of oath, criminal solicitation, making false statements and perjury, which was based on claims in a warrant.

Former Officer Gregg Junnier, 40, who retired from the Atlanta police in January, pleaded guilty to manslaughter, violation of oath, criminal solicitation and making false statements. Both men are expected to face more than 10 years in prison.'

http://www.davidicke.com/content/view/6666/48/

There were no drugs in the house, there had never been a "buy" at the house and in fact, theses scumbag cops tried to threaten an informant to claim that he'd bought drugs there when he had not. She did not, Annie Oakley style, shoot all three cops as claimed, they shot themselves.

See if you can find an example of a 92 year old white woman being gunned down as she sat alone in her own home.

Yes I remember that one, it was discussed a length in another forum. Indefensible and indicative of major problems in that unit, if not in the whole department. They're going to go to prison and rightly so. Now the question has to be asked, what drove them? I'm not for one moment discounting their actions, I'm asking what in hell would possess cops to do this?

I could go on ...

The point is that while you're looking at "regulations" and trying to find rationale for the brutal beating of an unarmed man, citizens are being murdered, set-up, extorted, and abused. You're looking at the plight of cops first instead of through the eyes of those they are supposed to protect

It exists because of plain as day police brutality and the attempts to justfy that brutality .. and for the racist nature of that brutality.

It's a day in the land of the free.

The cops were acquitted on the basis that the broom the woman was holding constituted a threat to the officers and gave them justifiable reason to murder her unborn child.

Cops are above the law and killing one, no matter how justifiable, makes the shooter guilty .. especially if black or hispanic.

I do try to be as objective as possible. The King arrest and the other examples you gave are poles apart in my opinion. You will see similarities, fair enough. I'm thinking that - and this is going to sound whacko but so what - that since 9/11 there appears to have been a shift in perspective of cops in the US (a gross generalisation but I'm prepared to defend it) where there seems to be a move to over militarism and almost an air of defining non-cops as the enemy. I've seen it in police forums and even on email discussion lists. It could be a rational response, cops really could be in danger every second of every day they're on the road in the States, I don't know, I do know that I perceive a cultural shift and it's not a good look.

You ask what would make cops do that. I think part of the problem is systemic. We no longer have cops out there enforcing the law, we have a "war on drugs" or a "war on crime" and because drugs are sold in the low income sections of town where unemployment is much higher and as we have read no long ago on this site, where it is MUCH harder for a black person, especially a man to get a job, the face of the "enemy" in the war on terror is dark. There are far more examples than this. There is a corridor on the Interstate system where I think the Florida state police are under a consent decree to maintain stats on every traffic stop because it was PROVED there were pulling over blacks at a much higher rate than whites.

You ask what would make cops do that. I think part of the problem is systemic. We no longer have cops out there enforcing the law, we have a "war on drugs" or a "war on crime" and because drugs are sold in the low income sections of town where unemployment is much higher and as we have read no long ago on this site, where it is MUCH harder for a black person, especially a man to get a job, the face of the "enemy" in the war on terror is dark. There are far more examples than this. There is a corridor on the Interstate system where I think the Florida state police are under a consent decree to maintain stats on every traffic stop because it was PROVED there were pulling over blacks at a much higher rate than whites.

I remember watching an episode of "Cops" which featured a Sheriff's department somewhere in the south, I think it might have been in NC or SC or Ga. somewhere over there. Blokes with steroid-induced musculature (yes I can stereotype) and wearing polo shirts and guns everywhere and something inside me said, "wait a minute, there's a BIG fucking problem here". They were running down drug mules continually. But the Cops show just showed the footage, the usual innane commentary (yes we have eyes, we can see what the hell is going on) and I still thought something about it was just wrong. I remember reading where there were federal indictments and some key people hit the slammer. I wasn't surprised. Totally out of control.

Yes, your framing of police work as "war" is a good point. Now me, I'm as un-militaristic as you can be and still get into a uniform. I hear the crime war metaphor and I want to unzip my fly and piss all over it. I'm old enough to remember the bullshit when it started back in the late 1960s in the US with, from memory, the Omnibus Crime Act. All downhill from there. Police work and military work are diametrically opposed. But it seems from personal observation at least that in some places (not just the US) there's a dangerous blurring. Not that doesn't mean ex military personnel can't be good coppers, I worked with an ex-Special Air Service trooper, very quiet bloke, never bragged about the lunatic things those blokes do in the service and a good copper, frightened of nothing but careful not to do anything stupid. I haven't talked to him for years but I'm sure he would disapprove of the war metaphor.

I remember watching an episode of "Cops" which featured a Sheriff's department somewhere in the south, I think it might have been in NC or SC or Ga. somewhere over there. Blokes with steroid-induced musculature (yes I can stereotype) and wearing polo shirts and guns everywhere and something inside me said, "wait a minute, there's a BIG fucking problem here". They were running down drug mules continually. But the Cops show just showed the footage, the usual innane commentary (yes we have eyes, we can see what the hell is going on) and I still thought something about it was just wrong. I remember reading where there were federal indictments and some key people hit the slammer. I wasn't surprised. Totally out of control.

Yes, your framing of police work as "war" is a good point. Now me, I'm as un-militaristic as you can be and still get into a uniform. I hear the crime war metaphor and I want to unzip my fly and piss all over it. I'm old enough to remember the bullshit when it started back in the late 1960s in the US with, from memory, the Omnibus Crime Act. All downhill from there. Police work and military work are diametrically opposed. But it seems from personal observation at least that in some places (not just the US) there's a dangerous blurring. Not that doesn't mean ex military personnel can't be good coppers, I worked with an ex-Special Air Service trooper, very quiet bloke, never bragged about the lunatic things those blokes do in the service and a good copper, frightened of nothing but careful not to do anything stupid. I haven't talked to him for years but I'm sure he would disapprove of the war metaphor.

A very valued perspective indeed my brother, especially for me who has always believed that black communities in America exist in a perpetual state of war. They still do.

Crime in urban communities are high for a lot of reasons to difficult to address within the context of this post, particularly because the issues of the disparity in arrests, sentencing, and probation in America are a big ass elephant that somehow rarely gets seen in the picture of Rodney King. Talk about "minutes not seen on the tape" .. let's talk about hundreds of years that aren't seen on that tape. And for you my brother, that's the part of the tape you don't see.

Why is this relevent? .. Start with the documented, proven, validated, studied, and analyzed truth that racial disparities in US criminal courts are an absolute fact. The WAR on drugs is a WAR on black people and that is a proven fact. America locks up ASTRONOMICAL numbers of its citizens, more than any nation on earth, if not history. In population and per capita, we incarcerate more people than every totalitarian nation we thumb our noses at. FAR more than Russia, North Korea, China, which has about 5 times our population, and India, which has about 4 times our population. In fact, we lock up almost as many people as China and India combined.

We have 5% of the world's population and 25% of all the prisoners on the planet.

Why is that relevent in a discussion about Rodney King? .. because its the picture you don't see and its the part of the picture America, specifally those who defend the violent beating of an unarmed man won't see. The state of mind of the police officers who not only participated in the beating, but those who didn't act to stop it is relevent, and the system that produces and rewards this behavior. It's celebrated. "Gorillas in the mist."

As in all war, the enemy must be dehumanized and stripped of the same rights and dignity that good people have. They are gorillas. Darryl Gates said "They don't have necks like normal people."

When King was first stopped he complied with the orders of the officers who stopped him. Koon and his goons drove up and immediately escalated what had previously been a stop without confrontation. They were at WAR and they attacked with glee. They have been sanctioned to beat the fuck out of black people. And, they felt no slightest fucking twinge of humanity to stop and say there must be a better way to do this then to continue to brutally beat an unarmed man. They would have thought of a better way if King was white. I asked you for an example of the white Rodney King, but you don't have one, nor do you have an example of a white 92 year-old woman being shot to death by 3 cops while sitting in her own home alone. Nor would you have examples of the thousands of cases of the brutal terrorism police visit upon black communities.

"Regulations" are there to mask racist brutality. It's the "what is torture" excuse for inhumanity and injustice that allows for the violent beating of an unarmed black man .. and yes, "black" is relevent in any honest interpretation of that event.

With respect, I am disappointed that such a sincere and thoughtful person as you have difficulty seeing what is so clearly visible. There may be a regulation that makes that evil "legal", but no such regulation exists in the conscience mind. A justification of the King beating is a rejection of the conscience mind, no differently than the justification for waterboarding is.

We are at war brother, and innocent people are being killed, beaten, and thrown in jail for "crimes" whites would get probabtion or nothing for. That's a proven fact .. but this never gets discussed.

Once jailed, they are placed on plantations/prisons where the massa'/warden oversees a thriving business that makes huge profits from the work of the slaves/prisoners .. at the expense of the American worker. They may not be picking cotton, but they are booking your overseas flights, building furniture, making uniforms for the US military, and working for Dell, Microsoft, Victoria Secret, and host of major corporations. The slaves in this new manifestation of slavery in America look a lot like the old ones.

After all, slavery is still legal in the US.

Why is all this relevent?

It's the picture you don't see.

War is a Racket .. General Smedley Butler

It's true that I do have a limited perspective. In the discussion of the King case I've taken a narrow view, kept it to what are I suppose the "legalities" of the single incident. I haven't thought past it at all and especially not in the discussion in this thread. But I'm capable of thinking past it.

I have no illusions about the police and their (our) function. That comes with experience because early in a cop's career he or she has a very narrow, very limited view of the job. True, many of us never get out of that narrow mind-set and we see everything work-related through that tiny keyhole. But some of us learn to step back a bit and take a long, hard and I have to say, unjaundiced, clear-eyed look. There's a wise saying in our work, "it's what we do, not who we are" and I'm afraid that seems to have been lost lately.

I don't want to sound like I'm disillusioned or embittered, I'm not. I've enjoyed my career for the most part (some bits were shitty for long or short durations but that's life) and I think on balance, like most cops, I've done more good than harm although if I could turn the clock back and do things a bit differently, with the hindsight available in maturity, I'd so do, however I don't feel the need to block out any memories. I've reached a senior supervisory rank but any aspirations of getting to management were surrendered when I was elected to honorary office in the union. But I went into it eyes open and I've no regrets about that either.

The police are - no surprise here - the coercive arm of the state (the "state" as a political entity). If you don't do what the state wants you to do or you do what the state doesn't want you to do, then we come after your. We manhandle you, we will use force on you if we have to but we're only supposed to kill you to prevent ourselves or someone else being killed. That's the legal stuff we do. The occasionally illegal stuff we do is bad. But if we get caught we get imprisoned just like anyone else. At least, unlike in totalitarian states and authoritarians states, we aren't encouraged or rewarded to beat you causing serious injuries or even death, nope, if we pull that one we're history - and rightly so. But make no bones about it, we're there to force compliance, that's our primary job.

We do nice things too. We'll organise search and rescue parties, we'll run into burning buildings to save your life, we'll put ourselves in physical danger to protect you (because we have some good danger-causing tools ourselves) and we'll sort out your traffic accident problems. But all that aside, we're here to force you to comply.

If there's a war on crime then the police are immediately soldiers in that war on crime.

http://home.att.net/~bob.wallace/militarypolice.html

Pretty soon the police in that environment will forget that policing requires different skills from the military and then they'll simply become like the military and everyone not wearing the uniform will become the enemy. And that's what has happened in the States. True, many cops, individually, won't surrender to that beguling siren but police organisations, the formal and informal culture, will become warlike in their orientation. When "citizen" becomes "subject" you have big trouble and I think you have that now.

BAC you point out, with the voice of experience, that the police are in a war with racial minorities in the States. I think you might find that, while that may be true (and I'm not doubting your experience at all) that it's not just racial minorities that are now subjects. It's everybody except the privileged and the powerful. The privileged and the powerful will always be above the hoi polloi of ground level law enforcement. True, some may get caught up in high-level investigations of wrongdoing (eg Enron) but even then strings will be pulled to enable them to have the softest of soft landings, whereas for the ordinary person, the non-privileged and the non-powerful, they will suffer the extremes of the judicial system because that's how the state wants it. The police and the courts and corrections systems are geared towards compliance by the powerless.

And that's how it really is.

It's true that I do have a limited perspective. In the discussion of the King case I've taken a narrow view, kept it to what are I suppose the "legalities" of the single incident. I haven't thought past it at all and especially not in the discussion in this thread. But I'm capable of thinking past it.

I have no illusions about the police and their (our) function. That comes with experience because early in a cop's career he or she has a very narrow, very limited view of the job. True, many of us never get out of that narrow mind-set and we see everything work-related through that tiny keyhole. But some of us learn to step back a bit and take a long, hard and I have to say, unjaundiced, clear-eyed look. There's a wise saying in our work, "it's what we do, not who we are" and I'm afraid that seems to have been lost lately.

I don't want to sound like I'm disillusioned or embittered, I'm not. I've enjoyed my career for the most part (some bits were shitty for long or short durations but that's life) and I think on balance, like most cops, I've done more good than harm although if I could turn the clock back and do things a bit differently, with the hindsight available in maturity, I'd so do, however I don't feel the need to block out any memories. I've reached a senior supervisory rank but any aspirations of getting to management were surrendered when I was elected to honorary office in the union. But I went into it eyes open and I've no regrets about that either.

The police are - no surprise here - the coercive arm of the state (the "state" as a political entity). If you don't do what the state wants you to do or you do what the state doesn't want you to do, then we come after your. We manhandle you, we will use force on you if we have to but we're only supposed to kill you to prevent ourselves or someone else being killed. That's the legal stuff we do. The occasionally illegal stuff we do is bad. But if we get caught we get imprisoned just like anyone else. At least, unlike in totalitarian states and authoritarians states, we aren't encouraged or rewarded to beat you causing serious injuries or even death, nope, if we pull that one we're history - and rightly so. But make no bones about it, we're there to force compliance, that's our primary job.

We do nice things too. We'll organise search and rescue parties, we'll run into burning buildings to save your life, we'll put ourselves in physical danger to protect you (because we have some good danger-causing tools ourselves) and we'll sort out your traffic accident problems. But all that aside, we're here to force you to comply.

If there's a war on crime then the police are immediately soldiers in that war on crime.

http://home.att.net/~bob.wallace/militarypolice.html

Pretty soon the police in that environment will forget that policing requires different skills from the military and then they'll simply become like the military and everyone not wearing the uniform will become the enemy. And that's what has happened in the States. True, many cops, individually, won't surrender to that beguling siren but police organisations, the formal and informal culture, will become warlike in their orientation. When "citizen" becomes "subject" you have big trouble and I think you have that now.

BAC you point out, with the voice of experience, that the police are in a war with racial minorities in the States. I think you might find that, while that may be true (and I'm not doubting your experience at all) that it's not just racial minorities that are now subjects. It's everybody except the privileged and the powerful. The privileged and the powerful will always be above the hoi polloi of ground level law enforcement. True, some may get caught up in high-level investigations of wrongdoing (eg Enron) but even then strings will be pulled to enable them to have the softest of soft landings, whereas for the ordinary person, the non-privileged and the non-powerful, they will suffer the extremes of the judicial system because that's how the state wants it. The police and the courts and corrections systems are geared towards compliance by the powerless.

And that's how it really is.

I appreciate your perspective .. but that's not quite how it is here.

When you say "it's not just racial minorities", that's not true. Stop right there and don't allow your mind to go past that truth or to cover it up. Say to yourself LOUDLY, although all citizens are subject to arrest in America, it is primarily and in some areas, almost exclusively minorities who get beaten and murdered by police. You cannot keep ignoring that reality if you are looking for truth. You proved it to yourself when you knew you would not find a examples of these terrorist tactics being done to white people.

I respect you and your perspective, but this is where you're not dealing with truth. You know what i'm saying is true but you can't bring yourself to admit it.

That's the first truth.

I know being a policeman is a tough job, but if that person behind the badge cannot differentiate between what is necessary force and what is abuse, then that person does not belong behind the badge, and should be held responsible for any act that crosses the line. More importantly, this argument fails on the first truth. If policemen and the department can arrive at the correct balance between necessary force and brutality with white people, then they can also come to that same conclusion with everyone else, irrespective of the rules, regulations, and guidelines they operate under because they apply to all people.

If there is a "war on drugs" then anyone who uses, sells, or distribute drugs should be the "enemy." But that argument fails on the first truth as well. Up to 72% of all illegal drug users in the US are white, and they also make up the vast majority of sellers, distributers, and importers. 14% of a;ll illegal drug users in the US are black, about proportionate to the population. The first truth will lead you to the truth of the disparities in arrest, sentencing, and incarcertaion. And you can find that truth here ..
www.sentencingproject.org/

The "War" mentality does not explain the racist element in any of this. There is something deeper and more insidious than regulations that drives this kind of brutality.

I value your intelligence and your sincerity, and I hope your search for answers compels you to honestly deal with the first truth.

I'm not ignoring the thread, I'm just thinking after reading BAC's post. I didn't want my non-appearance to be construed as something negative. I've been thinking about it for quite a few hours. I've got a few to go I think.

I appreciate your perspective .. but that's not quite how it is here.

When you say "it's not just racial minorities", that's not true. Stop right there and don't allow your mind to go past that truth or to cover it up. Say to yourself LOUDLY, although all citizens are subject to arrest in America, it is primarily and in some areas, almost exclusively minorities who get beaten and murdered by police. You cannot keep ignoring that reality if you are looking for truth. You proved it to yourself when you knew you would not find a examples of these terrorist tactics being done to white people.

Without going through all the statistics and reports I can't take issue with your point. So I have to concede it.

I respect you and your perspective, but this is where you're not dealing with truth. You know what i'm saying is true but you can't bring yourself to admit it.

That's the first truth.

The respect is mutual. And since I can't contest your point I must take it.

I know being a policeman is a tough job, but if that person behind the badge cannot differentiate between what is necessary force and what is abuse, then that person does not belong behind the badge, and should be held responsible for any act that crosses the line. More importantly, this argument fails on the first truth. If policemen and the department can arrive at the correct balance between necessary force and brutality with white people, then they can also come to that same conclusion with everyone else, irrespective of the rules, regulations, and guidelines they operate under because they apply to all people.

I can't disagree. The fact is, well in my experience at least, police can't transgress the law. I was an 18 year old cadet (in full time training - 3 year programme) when sitting in court one day I watched a policeman get prison for assaulting a man in the cells. That was many years ago and I still remember it. He (I was helping out as court orderly) remarked to me in a very bitter manner that "the job doesn't look after you". I suppose it was my naievete and the fact that I hadn't been strongly socialised into the organisation at that point but I remember thinking why he would expect any other treatment other than being pinched and facing court.

If there is a "war on drugs" then anyone who uses, sells, or distribute drugs should be the "enemy." But that argument fails on the first truth as well. Up to 72% of all illegal drug users in the US are white, and they also make up the vast majority of sellers, distributers, and importers. 14% of a;ll illegal drug users in the US are black, about proportionate to the population. The first truth will lead you to the truth of the disparities in arrest, sentencing, and incarcertaion. And you can find that truth here ..
www.sentencingproject.org/

Again I won't contest that. But then I tend to regard use as a medical and education issue and the problems caused by prohibition, ie facilitating organised crime, as a political issue which our gutless politicians won't face even though they know the answer is removing prohibition.

The "War" mentality does not explain the racist element in any of this. There is something deeper and more insidious than regulations that drives this kind of brutality.

I value your intelligence and your sincerity, and I hope your search for answers compels you to honestly deal with the first truth.

The War metaphor can be linked with that other con job "zero tolerance". I'm happy to say that our Commissioner has explicitly rejected the war metaphor and totally trashed the idea of "zero tolerance" and done so publicly.

Because I live and work in a relatively comfortable society which, while it does have its problems, is nowhere near as complex as the US so can't be compared. My experiences can't be used to illuminate the experience of citizen or cop in the US. I can only try and learn from the experiences of others. I'm reminded though of a really interesting article about the two "models" of dealing with (not "fighting") crime in New York and Boston, specifically gang-related crime. In New York the answer was ZTP, crack down on gang members, hammer them every chance they looked sideways, keeping the pressure on. Short term results were pretty good. In Boston the PD took a longer-term view, decided to take a problem-solving approach, worked with members of gangs and ex-members (senior ex-members) of gangs and with community leaders. NYPD trumpeted its results and actively disparaged Boston. But strangely, while NY numbers (people killed in gang-related violence) began to creep up after a few years, in Boston they went down.

I was in Toronto a couple of years ago when the city and Toronto Police Service knew it had to grapple with gang crime that was burgeoning in the city (particularly in the projects areas around Jane and Finch and any Torontonians know what I mean). TPS and the city didn't look to NY for help, they brought up a pastor from Boston who had been involved in the turn-around and he ran workshops and public meetings to address the issues. I'm not saying he had the answers, I'm saying it's a far more constructive response than implementing the war metaphor.

When we stop looking to resolve the problems and simply respond with smackdown then we are in deep and abiding trouble.

Back