• Masters

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Medical Degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Juris Doctor

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Anyone
can get a degree in political science. A retard could ace it. Science and math is real education, and that's why everyone avoids it. It's tough shit.

Both.

Both? So they weren't intelligent before they got the degree in math or science? Thats hard to believe.

The average PhD is probably more intelligent that the average GED. But is that because they got an education or did they pursue their education because of their intelligence?

Exercising the mind keeps it sharp and makes it more able to think clearly. But education, as far as anything I have read, does not make a person more intelligent. And I do have a bachelors degree.

it undoubtedly does make them more learned, however. And if learning things increases our ability to understand things and discern patterns in things, and to compare things to things we have learned, then education does improve one's ability to effectively apply one's innate intelligence.

it undoubtedly does make them more learned, however. And if learning things increases our ability to understand things and discern patterns in things, and to compare things to things we have learned, then education does improve one's ability to effectively apply one's innate intelligence.

It did not work for topper.

When I learned to go online and do research I expanded my knowledge. I have also expanded my ability to express my ideas online.

But my intelligence is basically the same. The innate ability to apply knowledge is the basic definition of intelligence. Gaining more knowledge does not fundamentally change that.

Anyone with plenty of life experience knows very educated idiots and very smart people with little formal education.

I guess my only problem here is JD is NOT the equivilent of a Ph. D or an MD. We are a professional degree that only requires 3 years and some of us can even do it in 2.5.

I guess my only problem here is JD is NOT the equivilent of a Ph. D or an MD. We are a professional degree that only requires 3 years and some of us can even do it in 2.5.

How much does a normal Ph. D (in, for instance, physics (because that's what I'm pursuing)) take?

Please excuse my double parentheses. :(

How much does a normal Ph. D (in, for instance, physics (because that's what I'm pursuing)) take?

Please excuse my double parentheses. :(

Are you really going to pursue a PhD in physics? If so, that's awesome. Its what I would have done before I discovered the pleasures of alcohol and drugs.

I would suggest either the micro or macro. Quantum mechanics is the future of technology if you supplement it with engineering, and Astrophysics is the future of the space age, again, engineering.

Or are you going to be one of those guys who shows diagrams of balls falling to the ground at the same pace whether moving laterally or not? IE, a professor.

Are you really going to pursue a PhD in physics? If so, that's awesome. Its what I would have done before I discovered the pleasures of alcohol and drugs.

I would suggest either the micro or macro. Quantum mechanics is the future of technology if you supplement it with engineering, and Astrophysics is the future of the space age, again, engineering.

Or are you going to be one of those guys who shows diagrams of balls falling to the ground at the same pace whether moving laterally or not? IE, a professor.

I recently changed my mind as to which degree I'm going to pursue. I was going for an Engineering/English degree. Now I'm going for Engineering/Physics. I really want to specialize in astrophysics, because that's what's always captured my imagination. But money could persuade me otherwise.

And I have discovered alcohol, I'm on it right now (that's why I'm including so much parentheses, I only do it when I'm drunk). But Stephen Hawking drank a lot too (before he sort of got a neuromuscular disease), eh?

Hopefully, women just continue to refuse to sleep with me, and I'll be fine.

It all depends on your research project; how well it goes, how long each section takes to complete, whether or not your committee feels you've done enough to make a significant contribution to your field, etc., etc.

In physics a reasonable estimate could be that it would take you about five years. Depending upon where you go and what your project is. Other requirements are more fluid -- course requirements at this level generally are relatively minimal but other things like your qualifying exams and comprehensives, which vary from department to department, never mind institution to institution, may take more or less time. Then you'll also probably be involved in teaching undergraduates or acting as a teaching assistant. Frankly I learned more about statistics in depth by teaching it.

Back