Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Masters

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Medical Degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Juris Doctor

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
It all depends on your research project; how well it goes, how long each section takes to complete, whether or not your committee feels you've done enough to make a significant contribution to your field, etc., etc.

In physics a reasonable estimate could be that it would take you about five years. Depending upon where you go and what your project is. Other requirements are more fluid -- course requirements at this level generally are relatively minimal but other things like your qualifying exams and comprehensives, which vary from department to department, never mind institution to institution, may take more or less time. Then you'll also probably be involved in teaching undergraduates or acting as a teaching assistant. Frankly I learned more about statistics in depth by teaching it.

Well, I could probably make more money just on engineering without even having to go PH.D, which is why I'm hesitant about it, even though I love astrophysics. But I have a couple of years to decide.

What really changed my mind was that I recently listened to 40 45 minute lectures on Astronomy by Alex Filippenko from the learning company (yeah, I pirated it), and I was amazed at all the things in there, and all the things yet to be discovered. I wanted to be a part of that much more than making lots of money designing excellent productivity software.

Piracy changed my life. Just let that be a lesson to your children.

And I have discovered alcohol, I'm on it right now (that's why I'm including so much parentheses, I only do it when I'm drunk). But Stephen Hawking drank a lot too (before he sort of got a neuromuscular disease), eh?

Hopefully, women just continue to refuse to sleep with me, and I'll be fine.

Yeah, keep away from sex, it can make you crazy at times!

How much does a normal Ph. D (in, for instance, physics (because that's what I'm pursuing)) take?

Please excuse my double parentheses. :(

I ran into a guy on a layover in Minneapolis the other day when I was returning home from Milwaukee. He had an MS in engineering and teaches applied physics, among other jobs. One thing he does is train cops to investigate car accidents, and he was flying out to northern Maine (Ft. something) because some rich parents of a guy killed in an accident wanted an expert to review the local police investigation so they can know what went down and who was really at fault, etc.

The cool thing about Engineering and Business deptartments at colleges is that the professors all have real-world experience while the other departments generally don't...

I guess my only problem here is JD is NOT the equivilent of a Ph. D or an MD. We are a professional degree that only requires 3 years and some of us can even do it in 2.5.

that can be explained completely by examining the justifiably fragile ego of the thread's originator!:cof1:

Juris Doctorate is the equivalent of a Masters Degree, not a PhD.

soc is right, but it is not the equivalent of a masters....it is called a doctorate, i asked professors the difference and i never got a good answer, other than lawyers will do anything to make their degree seem better :cof1:

but i've always been told it is higher than a masters, not quite a phd, but still a doctorate....which is above a masters....i put a slash just to make a quick poll, i wasn't being technical as can be seen i didn't even put all degrees...

if you really want to be technically accurate, you need to put a seperate section for doctorate and phd becuase they are not the same as you can get a doctorate in psych and it is not a phd....so, a JD is a true doctorate and not a masters.

and what value or point do you intelligently hope to make by bashing those without secondary education? i've seen plenty of idiots with masters or jd's and plenty smart folks with only ged or high school....

simply bashing someone for lack of college or above is senseless and simple minded :)
Topspin has proven his simple mindedness many times with his elitism here. When that fails, as it did with me, his next tactic is to call your spouse or daughter a slut.

i quickly googled it...

while it is true that all phds are doctorates, not all doctorates are phds....and the ABA considers the JD a doctorate (above a masters) and in some states JDs can call themselves drs....

Back