Ethnicity & Reporting

Tiania...

In a society mostly white, Asians are always going to be different. And to report on the difference is almost natural in human beings...

It would be the same if it had happened in the middle east. Or if I had committed a shooting in China or Africa.

It's called "Godwin's Law"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

Godwin's Law does not apply to discussions about Nazi Germany, Genocide, and several other things. Otherwise the attempt to say everybody is a "Nazi" or a "fascist" takes away from the actual strength and true meaning of the terms.

ANd it's a nazi rule. Everyone gets called a nazi. Sorry, just the way it is. Authoritarians of any stripe may expect being called a nazi.

Tiania...

In a society mostly white, Asians are always going to be different. And to report on the difference is almost natural in human beings...

Well, that's your view of things - perhaps it because of the environment you were bought up in, but I don't think asians, whites, latinos, or blacks are fundamentally different other than looks. If we're all supposedly Americans why gratuitously highlight that difference when it has no relevance to the story. Why not start putting other gratuituous facts in the story, like, "Lactose intolerate James Feldon, held up a liquor store last night....." or "Kia owner Mary Winston, left her children to drown......"
The only point it serves is confirming or developing stereotypes.

BTW - my name is spelled "T-i-a-n-a".

Last edited:
Well, that's your view of things - perhaps it because of the environment you were bought up in, but I don't think asians, whites, latinos, or blacks are fundamentally different other than looks. If we're all supposedly Americans why gratuitously highlight that difference when it has no relevance to the story. Why not start putting other gratuituous facts in the story, like, "Lactose intolerate James Feldon, held up a liquor store last night....." or "Kia owner Mary Winston, left her children to drown......"
The only point it serves is confirming or developing stereotypes.

BTW - my name is spelled "T-i-a-n-a".

Tiana, even in the most tolerant society blacks will always view themselves differently than whites, and vice versa. They just look different. It's almost like ugly people to beautiful people (not that blacks are ugly - you get what I mean!) Ugly women are ignored and beautiful women are treated like queens and never critiscized. It's human nature, like war and hatred, and although I detest hatred I've felt it flowing through my vains before and will not lie to people by saying that I haven't. And although I detest racism I will not lie and I'll tell you that I've shrunk from black people before. Even black people who have completely adapted into white culture will always have that tag on them. I'm describing human nature, Tiana, not justifying it.

Tiana, even in the most tolerant society blacks will always view themselves differently than whites, and vice versa. They just look different. It's almost like ugly people to beautiful people (not that blacks are ugly - you get what I mean!) Ugly women are ignored and beautiful women are treated like queens and never critiscized. It's human nature, like war and hatred, and although I detest hatred I've felt it flowing through my vains before and will not lie to people by saying that I haven't. And although I detest racism I will not lie and I'll tell you that I've shrunk from black people before. Even black people who have completely adapted into white culture will always have that tag on them. I'm describing human nature, Tiana, not justifying it.

That's cluturalist at best and mild racism at best.

I was raised in the upper class for the first 14 or so years of my life until my family's situation changed. Since then I've been middle to low middle, and during my high school and college years I was somewhat racist, but prided myself on the fact tha I wasn't.

In 1995, my brother and my best friend (same guy) went into rehab for a bad heroine and cocaine addiction. It was the day after my 20th birthday, and he relapsed many times. He now has 11 years and has since opened up a couple of sober living houses.

In these houses, there is a real clear reality as to who is who and what is what. At the baseline to people, there are cultural differences to blacks, hispanics, whites, asians, all of these guys. But the likeness outweighs the differences so far beyond any skin color, ethnicity, religion or heritage.

When you take all these people from every corner of society, when these guys work from the bottom up, and try to improve their own lives, they're good people. It doesn't really matter that one was a gang banger, and that another was a burglar, and that another was this or that.

When people start to realize that we're all in this together, and a lot of times it takes a terrible reality to define that, once they realize that, they become people, and good people... the differences become futile, immatterial and non-existant.

I was raised in the upper class for the first 14 or so years of my life until my family's situation changed. Since then I've been middle to low middle, and during my high school and college years I was somewhat racist, but prided myself on the fact tha I wasn't.

In 1995, my brother and my best friend (same guy) went into rehab for a bad heroine and cocaine addiction. It was the day after my 20th birthday, and he relapsed many times. He now has 11 years and has since opened up a couple of sober living houses.

In these houses, there is a real clear reality as to who is who and what is what. At the baseline to people, there are cultural differences to blacks, hispanics, whites, asians, all of these guys. But the likeness outweighs the differences so far beyond any skin color, ethnicity, religion or heritage.

When you take all these people from every corner of society, when these guys work from the bottom up, and try to improve their own lives, they're good people. It doesn't really matter that one was a gang banger, and that another was a burglar, and that another was this or that.

When people start to realize that we're all in this together, and a lot of times it takes a terrible reality to define that, once they realize that, they become people, and good people... the differences become futile, immatterial and non-existant.

So do you support Affirmative Action, AKA systematic discrimination against white males?

In these houses, there is a real clear reality as to who is who and what is what. At the baseline to people, there are cultural differences to blacks, hispanics, whites, asians, all of these guys. But the likeness outweighs the differences so far beyond any skin color, ethnicity, religion or heritage........When people start to realize that we're all in this together, and a lot of times it takes a terrible reality to define that, once they realize that, they become people, and good people... the differences become futile, immatterial and non-existant.

I can dig it.

Kudos to your brother btw.

Amazing how hard times can change peoples outlook.
Perhaps that is why I think that some of the working poor folks in the country are the "salt of the earth"
Much of the time the ones that are forced to learn do not...Life can be too easy for our own good.

The thing is, Beefy, that they have to get over the initial "OMGZ! They're different!", reaction to do that. And not many cultures, even liberal democracies, really get to the point where it becomes irrelevant, and even if they do it's always a factor.

How is that racist? If it were human nature to love people of other races as soon as you saw them we wouldn't have racism. I'm telling you why racism exists and how it's never going to be overcome unless a signifigant amount of cultural diffusion happens.

Think about it a second, mbl. Who are all the greatest black figures or our time? They're all half-white and have mostly adopted white culture. We consider them a great reason our society has gone so far, but I really consider them more of an inability for our society to accept people of other cultures than anything else. Barack Obama if only "articulate" because he talks exactly like a normal white person would talk. Different cultures have different sets of rules, and the reason black people aren't usually considered "articulate" is more because they've been walled off from our society and developed a different culture, where being "articulate" has a different definition.

So do you support Affirmative Action, AKA systematic discrimination against white males?

Affirmative Action isn't discrimination against whites, and it doesn't contain any provision for gender in any case. It's not quota based. It just means, basically, that if 90% of the qualified applicants for a job are black, and you hire an all white workforce, the federal government will ask questions, and if it decides you don't have any good reason for that it won't do business with you.

It doesn't even apply to the private sector anyway, dumbass.

Tiana, even in the most tolerant society blacks will always view themselves differently than whites, and vice versa. They just look different. It's almost like ugly people to beautiful people (not that blacks are ugly - you get what I mean!)

I don't whether if it's because you're in the rural south, or if it's your age and inexperience. I doubt you've ever had a friend, who is a person of color.

Take my word for it watermark. People, broadly speaking, are pretty much the same everywhere - regardless of skin color, eye color, or hair color. The vast majority don't find themselves "different" in any fundamental way, from other human beings.

Trust me. I've dated women of every skin color and tone. I guess you could say, I've pretty much dated the United Nations. Women are pretty much the same, regardless of tonal differences in skin or hair.

Tiana, even in the most tolerant society blacks will always view themselves differently than whites, and vice versa. They just look different. It's almost like ugly people to beautiful people (not that blacks are ugly - you get what I mean!)

I don't whether if it's because you're in the rural south, or if it's your age and inexperience. I doubt you've ever had a friend, who is a person of color.

Take my word for it watermark. People, broadly speaking, are pretty much the same everywhere - regardless of skin color, eye color, or hair color. The vast majority don't find themselves "different" in any fundamental way, from other human beings.

Trust me. I've dated women of every skin color and tone. I guess you could say, I've pretty much dated the United Nations. Women are pretty much the same, regardless of tonal differences in skin or hair.

Like damo always says, it's not just skin color, it's a social construct, in a way unlike eye color. I'll have an iota of respect for you when you advocate the stoppage of race data collection.

Race is real for this reason: Someone who looks like you has a greater chance of sharing more of your genes, and in the world of social animals, related individuals assist each other in the face of competition for resources from other genetically related clans. All this "there is no race" crap is just a way to get whites to abandon their extended family. All other races are encouraged to be proud. Whites are told there is no such thing as race. It's a crock of crap.

Last edited:
Back