Ethnicity & Reporting

We've been having this discussion at the school of journalism for weeks. Here's my view:

Yes. It's worth mentioning. It should not, and has not in this case, been in the lede of the story. It should not be the focus. But leaving it out I think is to shirk a journalist's job of reporting the facts.

The NY Times didn't mention it until day two, and it was half way through a very long story.

It's Cable that made it into a big deal, and you idiots gave them the ratings they wanted. So congratulations.

So yeah, it should be mentioned. It should not be given much importance.
Dude! Where you been? :cool:

Basically, I think I agree with you. Facts are simply data points: it's not easy to decide at the time which are going to be significant and any attempt to do so corrupts the process. And it has been the cable news outlets that have blown these things way out of all proportion.

Leaving out facts because it offends people is not journalism. This guy's history, as the son of south vietnamese immigrants and a nearly life-long American, are facts. They may or may not be material to the case, but the people still have the right to know. Leaving them out is irresponsible. So is blowing their importance out of proportion.

Dude! Where you been? :cool:

Basically, I think I agree with you. Facts are simply data points: it's not easy to decide at the time which are going to be significant and any attempt to do so corrupts the process. And it has been the cable news outlets that have blown these things way out of all proportion.

What out of proportion comments have been made? Im just curous what "out of proportion" means to you.

Thats a good point. It may be good to do so to combat stereotypes. I was guilty of stereotyping and knowing the truth has taught me a lesson.

Next time someone goes on a shooting range the image in my mind is just going to be just a silohetted figure.

IHG learns a valuable lesson on stereotypes, next on Blossom.

Back