"Evil"

It was not, however, to kill every single Japanese person alive, nor was it ever the intent to do so. As I said, many unethical things are done in war, often in exchange for even less ethical action on a whole.

The intent of the "Final Solution" was to kill every living Jewish person. Genocide as an intent is definitely "more evil" in intent than to attempt to end a war sooner with an admittedly horrific act that they believed they would need to end the war regardless. Was it better sooner rather than later? I am sure they agonized over the decision. Do you think that Eichmann ever agonized over his decision, or only that he might get caught?

d

It is government leaders that declare wars, military that fights them and government leaders that end them.

The leaders are selected by the led. Of course then there are dictatorships. But people will put up with dictatorships for various reasons. Usually because the government controls the military and extant weapons, remember this the next time you vote your government greater powers of authority or you.

The winner or historians (assuming any survive and truthful documentation survives) always get to declare the evil or good of a thing.
The intent of the "Final Solution" was to kill every living Jewish person. Genocide as an intent is definitely "more evil" in intent than to attempt to end a war sooner with an admittedly horrific act that they believed they would need to end the war regardless. Was it better sooner rather than later? I am sure they agonized over the decision. Do you think that Eichmann ever agonized over his decision, or only that he might get caught?[/QUOTE]

If I were a military commander, with exception of military protocols as defined by my government, I would wage total war on my enemy until such time as my government declared a truce, surrender or victory

If it is necessary to inflict damage on ‘civilians’ then so be it.

War often includes psychological warfare

If I could destroy a major center of production, population and/or government with little risk or use of resources, all the better.

Oh well

Back