Fair

domer76

Verified User
Working at the state fair for my company the last few days.

The obesity problem in this country is staggering.

Working for an operation that sells deep-fried hamburger filled frozen twinkies and shit isn't being part of the solution.

Working for an operation that sells deep-fried hamburger filled frozen twinkies and shit isn't being part of the solution.

lol

Another post out of ignorance, taintstain. I am selling shit you can’t afford.

Nice try, asswipe. Predictable, however.

We don't know if he was working for the fair or not, nor in what capacity. His point is quite valid though. Unless it is a participant sports event, I've noticed the exact same thing when attending events like a state fair. For instance we had two outdoor art fairs here last month that we attended. It was depressing seeing the large number of young-but-extremely-overweight people.... and even worse seeing their overweight children huffing along behind them. I'm a retired health care professional who, along with a good many of my cohort, would like to see a national health care plan enacted. However, with our high rate of obesity and its side effects -- CVD, diabetes, stroke, etc. -- affording it could be a huge problem. If we were a thinner, fitter, healthier nation it would be a lot easier.

We don't know if he was working for the fair or not, nor in what capacity. His point is quite valid though. Unless it is a participant sports event, I've noticed the exact same thing when attending events like a state fair. For instance we had two outdoor art fairs here last month that we attended. It was depressing seeing the large number of young-but-extremely-overweight people.... and even worse seeing their overweight children huffing along behind them. I'm a retired health care professional who, along with a good many of my cohort, would like to see a national health care plan enacted. However, with our high rate of obesity and its side effects -- CVD, diabetes, stroke, etc. -- affording it could be a huge problem. If we were a thinner, fitter, healthier nation it would be a lot easier.

I’m guessing a good 75% that pass by are overweight. Maybe more. Of those, a good portion are obese. With a good portion morbidly obese.

Scary thing? My state is one of the LEAST obese in the nation.

I’m guessing a good 75% that pass by are overweight. Maybe more. Of those, a good portion are obese. With a good portion morbidly obese.

Geeze. I guess though your experiences there would fall under the anecdotal type. Obviously in a venue that promises a lot of caloric heaven with very little effort, you're bound to see far more of the overweight folks than in, say, our art fairs. We did have a Taco Mama food truck at one, and a hot dog/soft drink/ice cream cone hut at the other.... so not much in the way of a food reward. Plus most of the parking was a block or more away. That might have screened out a lot of the heavier types. But still... we saw plenty of folks who needed to trim down substantially.

This is a huge cost factor in our health care delivery and payment system, and -- I suspect -- a reason why so many "conservatives" are loathe to adopt a national health care system. Not just the cost of providing medical care to obesity-related diseases, but the possibility that self-induced disease conditions may not be covered to the same extent as other conditions.

That's a good topic for discussion: Should your insurer be required to pay the same for your care if your condition is self-induced, as they would for someone whose same condition is not? Example: You are 37, obese, and have a mild heart attack. Your physicians advise a bypass given the extent of CAD, rather than one or two stents. Meanwhile, your normal-weight coworker who is 40 but has a family history of heart disease has a mild heart attack as well. His physicians advise that a stent or two would be helpful, plus a medication regime. Should the insurer that you both have be allowed to require you to pay more out of pocket due to your self-induced condition? Or should they have to cover you both equally? These questions are what insurers grapple with all the time.

Geeze. I guess though your experiences there would fall under the anecdotal type. Obviously in a venue that promises a lot of caloric heaven with very little effort, you're bound to see far more of the overweight folks than in, say, our art fairs. We did have a Taco Mama food truck at one, and a hot dog/soft drink/ice cream cone hut at the other.... so not much in the way of a food reward. Plus most of the parking was a block or more away. That might have screened out a lot of the heavier types. But still... we saw plenty of folks who needed to trim down substantially.

This is a huge cost factor in our health care delivery and payment system, and -- I suspect -- a reason why so many "conservatives" are loathe to adopt a national health care system. Not just the cost of providing medical care to obesity-related diseases, but the possibility that self-induced disease conditions may not be covered to the same extent as other conditions.

That's a good topic for discussion: Should your insurer be required to pay the same for your care if your condition is self-induced, as they would for someone whose same condition is not? Example: You are 37, obese, and have a mild heart attack. Your physicians advise a bypass given the extent of CAD, rather than one or two stents. Meanwhile, your normal-weight coworker who is 40 but has a family history of heart disease has a mild heart attack as well. His physicians advise that a stent or two would be helpful, plus a medication regime. Should the insurer that you both have be allowed to require you to pay more out of pocket due to your self-induced condition? Or should they have to cover you both equally? These questions are what insurers grapple with all the time.

The most disturbing thing is to see the YOUNG ones already overweight. Teenagers and 20 somethings should NOT be so overweight.

The most disturbing thing is to see the YOUNG ones already overweight. Teenagers and 20 somethings should NOT be so overweight.

I feel the same way. My youngest g-child is 3. Some of the little friends she plays with are rollie-pollies already. In my classes, most of the kids are still slim but many are overweight. Not a good predictor for their future good health.

1) I was offering side-ways cultural commentary on the bizarre fried crap they sell at fairs.

2) Access to insurance has little to nothing to do with the causes of obesity, rather the treatment of its symptoms.

3) I don't fret over other people's waistlines, but if you want to stop the problem, a good place to start would be to outlaw microwaves.

1) I was offering side-ways cultural commentary on the bizarre fried crap they sell at fairs.

Yeah, the only salad to be found there is probably in the livestock food trough. lol

2) Access to insurance has little to nothing to do with the causes of obesity, rather the treatment of its symptoms.

I understand that. My point was that the unhealthier the population, the more utilization of the health care system and thus the higher the costs to insure. We had CIGNA health insurance for a while. They actually had bots that rummaged through your personal health data when you visited the doc for your annual check-up. That would then trigger nagging little snail mail letters to you about things that it found out. For instance if you had mild hypertension it might scold you to eat less salt, lose weight, exercise more, etc. Health insurers have a vested interest in you remaining healthy so they don't have to spend the CEO's salary to make you well.

3) I don't fret over other people's waistlines, but if you want to stop the problem, a good place to start would be to outlaw microwaves.

Heheheheh -- good point. We could also forbid stores to sell pre-packaged meals and other convenience foods, as well as soda pop, cookies, chips, and all the other glorious goodies.

Yet you don't say what state.

I'm more than happy to see all these fatties walking around. For centuries the longevity rate has climbed; now it's staring to reverse, and along with that there are many benefits.
  • The social security fund will last much longer.
  • Less old farts on the road holding up traffic.
  • Movie seats used to be tiny- now I can fit two of me in one of them, lying down. Airplane seats will be forced to follow suit.
  • Eventually it will be socially acceptable to render all these fat dead bodies, and bio-diesel costs will plummet.

:evilnod:

I'm more than happy to see all these fatties walking around. For centuries the longevity rate has climbed; now it's staring to reverse, and along with that there are many benefits.
  • The social security fund will last much longer.
  • Less old farts on the road holding up traffic.
  • Movie seats used to be tiny- now I can fit two of me in one of them, lying down. Airplane seats will be forced to follow suit.
  • Eventually it will be socially acceptable to render all these fat dead bodies, and bio-diesel costs will plummet.

:evilnod:

What adults go to the movies anymore? That is where you dump your kids when you want to have an interruption free weekend afternoon shag.

Back