First Michael now Prince!

You don't have to like Prince's music to appreciate his talent & understand that he's one of the greats.

I don't like jazz, but I understand 100% that Miles Davis was on another planet in terms of artistry.
Exactly, you appreciate their genius.

Can't we like both?

I have to admit the new Country sound is such a artificial faux redneck pretension that I simply don't like it. In fact I find it kind of offensive. I know to many people with rural backgrounds who aren't shit kickers...including me. Now country music that's true to its folk music origins I love...well except maybe bluegrass. I'm not overly fond of the sound of women singing through their noses but then again, beauty and art are in the eye of the beholder.
Hrump, I don't sing through my nose, neither does Allison Krause.

One of the things that was interesting about Prince's music was how fundamental it was in structure. How you could take one of his songs and change the styling and it would still work. Example, I saw a video some time back (I'll try to hunt it down) where a Country music artist did a country cover of "Kiss" and danged if it didn't work.

OK....here's some examples of what I mean;

LeAnn Rimes cover of Purple Rain

It came as a big shock to those that liked his music. To those that don't, he's no different than someone you'll never hear of. In fact, to those that do like his music, he's no different. He's just known. I don't hold someone in high regard because they happened to do something that was in public. There are plenty of people that make contributions to their field of endeavor to the same level that you'll never acknowledge. How is Prince Rogers Nelson any better than them?

It said "Michael". Why don't you tell me what you think I mean since you think that I say things for which you can provide no proof.

You said "Michael who?" in post 43, liar.

You don't have to hold these people in high regard and you don't need to put them down, either. You could just keep your flapping gums quiet and let others who liked Prince talk about their shock and sadness at his death.

You don't have to like Prince's music to appreciate his talent & understand that he's one of the greats.

I don't like jazz, but I understand 100% that Miles Davis was on another planet in terms of artistry.

Don't confuse people not stopping what they do or slobbering all over themselves because he died with not appreciating talent. There are lots of things that people do for which I don't enjoy, like, or whatever term you want to use. That doesn't mean they didn't have talent. There are lots of people who make contributions to their fields for which not one word is said when they die. Why should one be mentioned and not the others.

I'm not happy the man died. However, I'm not going to sulk and cry because he did.

You said "Michael who?" in post 43, liar.

You don't have to hold these people in high regard and you don't need to put them down, either. You could just keep your flapping gums quiet and let others who liked Prince talk about their shock and sadness at his death.

My response was to the Jarod and the thread title "First Michael now Prince". I never said I didn't say Michael who? It said Michael. I asked Michael who?

You could mind your own damn business and not think it's your place to tell me how I should or should not respond to something. Typical Liberal that thinks if you don't like what is said, people shouldn't say it.

Don't confuse people not stopping what they do or slobbering all over themselves because he died with not appreciating talent. There are lots of things that people do for which I don't enjoy, like, or whatever term you want to use. That doesn't mean they didn't have talent. There are lots of people who make contributions to their fields for which not one word is said when they die. Why should one be mentioned and not the others.

I'm not happy the man died. However, I'm not going to sulk and cry because he did.
Come on you two. Take your pissing contest somewhere else.

Can't we like both?

I have to admit the new Country sound is such a artificial faux redneck pretension that I simply don't like it. In fact I find it kind of offensive. I know to many people with rural backgrounds who aren't shit kickers...including me. Now country music that's true to its folk music origins I love...well except maybe bluegrass. I'm not overly fond of the sound of women singing through their noses but then again, beauty and art are in the eye of the beholder.

I completely understand country purists not liking new country music. Much of it bears little resemblance to the roots.

But I'm really not a purist in any genre. If a song is good, I like it. I hate rap for the most part, but there are some rap songs that I just love.

Can't we like both?

So you didn't like Woody Guthrie?

I don't recall saying that it was a Fender, his guitar is a Japanese made Fender Telecaster copy. In actual fact the body wood makes some difference to the sound but then arguably the pickups, strings, nut, neck and fingerboard are equally, if not more more important. Oh and before you ask I have a Strat and a Les Paul.

According to his luthier Prince's pickups were stock Fender.

Back