Fixing Granny's house adendum

The storage goes under the cellar stairs, as they go up, and the flight from the main part to the loft, will have storage under them.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that I've said there will be a concrete roof, to the cellar, and that this will be the floor of the main part.

I think what people are saying is that the cellar stairs pass through the concrete floor of the Shed and the Shed stairs to the Attic are in direct alignment with the Cellar stairs, like in your first photo. The Cellar stairwell could easily have storage space, but the Shed landing and Attic landing, not so much. If your stairwell is 4' wide, that's a large hole out of 10'.

That really wouldn't be my question. My question would be "Do you know how much just the Cellar would cost?".

First, you got to get a good size Backhoe. Then, do you have enough room to dig a 'bigger than 10'x12' hole'? And do you have enough room to put the dug out material far enough away from the hole so it doesn't collapse back into the hole while people are working in there? You're going to need a good size perimeter beam, do you have any idea what that is going to be? Your first pour is going to be just for the slab, do you know how to weld/meld the water seal? Is your second pour going to be just the walls, or the walls and ceiling combined? Have you sized the beam you need to carry the load where the Cellar stairwell is to be? What size is the wall, will you be using snap ties? This is going to be a little costly and you probably need a little more talent than just 'Johnny Homeowner'.

I think what people are saying is that the cellar stairs pass through the concrete floor of the Shed and the Shed stairs to the Attic are in direct alignment with the Cellar stairs, like in your first photo. The Cellar stairwell could easily have storage space, but the Shed landing and Attic landing, not so much. If your stairwell is 4' wide, that's a large hole out of 10'.

That really wouldn't be my question. My question would be "Do you know how much just the Cellar would cost?".

First, you got to get a good size Backhoe. Then, do you have enough room to dig a 'bigger than 10'x12' hole'? And do you have enough room to put the dug out material far enough away from the hole so it doesn't collapse back into the hole while people are working in there? You're going to need a good size perimeter beam, do you have any idea what that is going to be? Your first pour is going to be just for the slab, do you know how to weld/meld the water seal? Is your second pour going to be just the walls, or the walls and ceiling combined? Have you sized the beam you need to carry the load where the Cellar stairwell is to be? What size is the wall, will you be using snap ties? This is going to be a little costly and you probably need a little more talent than just 'Johnny Homeowner'.

I've already figured out what I need to do and the walls of the cellar aren't going to be poured concrete; but instead will be block.

I've already got an inside line on the block.

No, they will be positioned one over the other; but there will be a floor between them.

Am I going to have to draw someone a picture??

Yes I think you need to draw a picture so that you can see that there is no place to store anything under the stairs going up to the third floor because that space is needed for head room on the stairs going from the basement to the first floor.
Draw it in a side view, and you will see what we mean.
The only way to have storage under both staircases is to put them in different parts of the floor plan.
In a structure the size of the one you are planning, that would be ridiculous.

Yes I think you need to draw a picture so that you can see that there is no place to store anything under the stairs going up to the third floor because that space is needed for head room on the stairs going from the basement to the first floor.
Draw it in a side view, and you will see what we mean.
The only way to have storage under both staircases is to put them in different parts of the floor plan.
In a structure the size of the one you are planning, that would be ridiculous.

Did you complete forget or just miss the part where I said "...THERE IS A FLOOR BETWEEN THE CELLAR AND THE MAIN FLOOR OF THE SHED..." and "...THAT THERE WILL BE A LANDING WHERE THE STAIRS TURN...". :palm:

Did you complete forget or just miss the part where I said "...THERE IS A FLOOR BETWEEN THE CELLAR AND THE MAIN FLOOR OF THE SHED..." and "...THAT THERE WILL BE A LANDING WHERE THE STAIRS TURN...". :palm:

How wide will the stairway be? You do realize that doing a landing will double the width. Sounds like this 120 Square foot structure will be mostly stairwell.
I would love to see this drawing.
I still don't see how there is storage room under both flights of stairs.

How wide will the stairway be? You do realize that doing a landing will double the width. Sounds like this 120 Square foot structure will be mostly stairwell.
I would love to see this drawing.
I still don't see how there is storage room under both flights of stairs.

Stairs will be either 3 or 4 ft. wide
The landing is so the stairs make a 90 degree turn, rather then a straight line, which would take up more floor space.

Combine this picture:

Under-Stairs-Storage-Closet-Unit.jpg

With the end cabinet in this one:

93b7325d5a311a5ad0408a3affb81ebe.jpg

The end cabinet will be on a hidden slider and will be used to hide the door to the cellar.

No doors on the storage.

Last edited:
I am sorry, retard, but those are ALL single or first floor flights.

What a retard.

You have no ability to think outside of the little box you've confined yourself in; but you want to refer to others as being retarded.

THE IRONY IS SO RICH. :laugh:

Back