Fixing Granny's house adendum

His response was: "It's underground".

RE: Stairs. Have you gotten a pice of graph paper and laid out the stairs? You know, drawn the 10' x 12' (or whatever it is) Floor Plan and then included the stairs? They take up more space than you think. Plus, there could be a 'headroom' issue depending on where the stairs are located (like the sloping sides of the Loft).

I've drawn it all out and made sure the head clearances are good.
I'll lose some floor space; but I intend to build storage underneath the stair's, on both elevations.
The stair case going to the loft, will terminate where the trusses are at their highest pitch.

HOOVER DAM FAST FACTS AND FIGURES

Where is Hoover Dam?

In Black Canyon on the Colorado River, about 30 miles southeast ofLas Vegas, Nevada.

What were the excavation depths from the river's low-water surface to foundation rock?

In the upstream cut offtrench, it was 139 feet. The remaining excavation depths average 110 to 130 feet.

What are the geologic conditions at the dam site?

The foundation and abutments are rock of volcanic origin geologically called "andesite breccia." The rock is hard and

very durable.

What construction work was necessary before operations started at the dam site?

(I) Construction ofBoulder City to house both Government and contractor employees} .
(2) construction of7 miles of 22-foot wide, asphalt-surfaced highway from Boulder CIty to the dam SIte; .
(3) construction of22.7 miles ofstandard-gauge railroad from the Union Pacific main line in Las Vegas to Boulder CIty

and an additional 10 miles from Boulder City to the dam site;

(4) construction of a 222-mile-Iong power transmission line from San Bernardino, California, to the dam site to supply
energy for construction.
What were the principal divisions ofwork? .
More than 5,500,000 cubic yards ofmaterial were excavated, and another 1,000,000 CUbIC yards of earth and rock fill
placed. By feature, this included:
Excavation for the diversion tunnels, 1,500,000 cubic yards
For the foundation ofthe dam, power plant, and cofferdams 1,760,000 cubic yards;
For the spillways and inclined tunnels, 750,000 cubic yards
For the valve houses and intake towers, 410,000 cubic yards
Earth and rock fill for the cofferdams, 1,000,000 cubic yards.
In addition, 410,000 linear feet of grout and drainage holes were drilled, and 422,000 cubic feet of grout were placed
under pressure.
When did construction begin?
Construction on Hoover Dam began September 30, 1930.
What were the quantities of principal materials used in the dam?
The principal materials, all ofwhich were purchased by the government, were:
Reinforcement steel, 45,000,000 pounds
Gates and valves, 21,670,000 pounds
Plate steel and outlet pipes, 88,000,000 pounds
Pipe and fittings, 6,700,000 pounds or 840 miles
Structural steel, 18,000,000 pounds
Miscellaneous metal work, 5,300,000 pounds.
How much steel and metal work was used to build the dam?
There are 96,000,000 Ibs of steel and metalwork used by the dam - but none of it in the dam.

What type of dam is Hoover?
Hoover Dam is a concrete arch-gravity type, in which the water load is carried by both gravity action and horizontal arch action.

https://u3asites.org.uk/files/c/cowbridge/docs/hooverdamtextocr8feb2017.pdf

Dark Stool is a Stark Fool.

The Nevada Spillway is part of the Hoover Dam.

17340v.jpg

https://www.loc.gov/item/2017826252/

:kipyes

The Nevada spillway is part of the Hoover dam PROJECT.
But it is a separate structure from the dam.

Dark Stool said specifically that there was steel reinforcement IN THE DAM.

Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
Of course the Hoover Dam has reinforcing steel in it.

Pants on the floor for the supposed "engineer".
LOL

DAM! that guy Dark Stool is a fool.

I'll lose some floor space; but I intend to build storage underneath the stair's, on both elevations.
The stair case going to the loft, will terminate where the trusses are at their highest pitch.

Is this a 'Kit'?
The Truss Plan you gave me looks like a 7' wide interior dimension. Is that what you wanted?
For 7' 'high point', it looks like you need a 3'-6" knee wall, is that correct?
Will this be an 'independent' wall, or part of the Shed walls extended up to the beginning of the Truss?
How wide are your stairs?
What is your objection to an exterior stairway?
How do you plan on supporting the 'Ridge Extension' (for the lifting purpose you talked about?)

The Nevada spillway is part of the Hoover dam PROJECT.
But it is a separate structure from the dam.

Dark Stool said specifically that there was steel reinforcement IN THE DAM.

Pants on the floor for the supposed "engineer".
LOL

DAM! that guy Dark Stool is a fool.

Hats off to Leon the Cat. Delivered a SEVER spanking to Dark Soul. (imagining DS with highly reddened buttocks soaking in tub filled with ice cubes ... ouch!) :)

Is this a 'Kit'?
The Truss Plan you gave me looks like a 7' wide interior dimension. Is that what you wanted?
For 7' 'high point', it looks like you need a 3'-6" knee wall, is that correct?
Will this be an 'independent' wall, or part of the Shed walls extended up to the beginning of the Truss?
How wide are your stairs?
What is your objection to an exterior stairway?
How do you plan on supporting the 'Ridge Extension' (for the lifting purpose you talked about?)

No kit involved, all cut and built on site.

The picture I gave, was only for a reference and I've got a better one, somewhere on a different flash drive.
I just haven't decided to have them span the 10 foot or the 12 foot lengths yet.
The cellar will have a cement poured roof, which will be the floor of the main part of the shed.
Cellar will be 8 feet underground, main section will be 8 feet, with the loft attached to the top of the main walls (loadbearing) and then the loft walls will be built and secured to the loft floor.
I'm planning of the stairs being 4 feet wide.

I don't like exterior stairs, due to those who might find it easy access to somewhere they have no business being.

The ridge beam will be secured and supported to each truss and will extend out of a small loft door (4x4), so I can hoist small things into the loft area.

No kit involved, all cut and built on site.

The picture I gave, was only for a reference and I've got a better one, somewhere on a different flash drive.
I just haven't decided to have them span the 10 foot or the 12 foot lengths yet.
The cellar will have a cement poured roof, which will be the floor of the main part of the shed.
Cellar will be 8 feet underground, main section will be 8 feet, with the loft attached to the top of the main walls (loadbearing) and then the loft walls will be built and secured to the loft floor.
I'm planning of the stairs being 4 feet wide.

I don't like exterior stairs, due to those who might find it easy access to somewhere they have no business being.

The ridge beam will be secured and supported to each truss and will extend out of a small loft door (4x4), so I can hoist small things into the loft area.

Wow! Major Project.

Have you considered Garage/Double Garage? You might get better square footage at less expense?

Just thinking of constructing the cellar is a major task. (I'm assuming you're a rare wine collector?) :)

At some 'width', do the 2x4s need to be swapped out for 2x6s"

If the 'high point' is 7', the added 'ridge beam' will cut into that headroom.

Do you plan on doing the work yourself, or sub it out?

It seems like the 'Truss System' has been engineered, will you be dependent on the Truss dimension to size your Cellar and Shed?

Central portion of the dam cross section showing massive amounts of vertical reinforcing.

05e7bb77a81b592f39ef5c1602597d0d--hoover-dam-construction-sin-city.jpg

:kipyes
Reinforcing? Yes WOODEN reinforcing for the wooden forms that contained each pour.
No steel was ever used in the dam itself.
Dark Stool is doubling down on his massive stupidity.
Some "engineer" LOL!

Wow! Major Project.

Have you considered Garage/Double Garage? You might get better square footage at less expense?

Just thinking of constructing the cellar is a major task. (I'm assuming you're a rare wine collector?) :)

At some 'width', do the 2x4s need to be swapped out for 2x6s"

If the 'high point' is 7', the added 'ridge beam' will cut into that headroom.

Do you plan on doing the work yourself, or sub it out?

It seems like the 'Truss System' has been engineered, will you be dependent on the Truss dimension to size your Cellar and Shed?

Anything over 120 sq. ft. and need a permit, that's why I'm sticking to the 120 sq. ft.

Not a wine collector; but I'm planning on using it for some emergency food and water storage, plus the cooler air can be used to help cool the upper part of the shed.

Already planning on using 2x6's and the ridge bean will only lower my head room by a few inches, which will still make it easy to move around without getting a head ache. :D

Going to do it myself, with help from relatives.

I have a program that I put in my dimensions and it tells me what lengths each piece needs to be, so I can either make them go from side to side on either the 10ft. side or the 12ft. side.

Anything over 120 sq. ft. and need a permit, that's why I'm sticking to the 120 sq. ft.

Not a wine collector; but I'm planning on using it for some emergency food and water storage, plus the cooler air can be used to help cool the upper part of the shed.

Already planning on using 2x6's and the ridge bean will only lower my head room by a few inches, which will still make it easy to move around without getting a head ache. :D

I have a program that I put in my dimensions and it tells me what lengths each piece needs to be, so I can either make them go from side to side on either the 10ft. side or the 12ft. side.

Sounds like you got a Plan. Nice talking to you, Good Luck.

Dark soul has proven without a doubt that he is not an engineer.

He still believes that there is steel reinforcing in the Hoover dam. Dark soul is a fool and a liar but no engineer.

Last edited:
YOU ... call EVERYBODY a 'cunt', so that really doesn't mean much coming from you.

It's his only comeback for anything.

I think it's more than just a little bit gay for Tom to call so many men a vulgar word for the female genitalia, but Tom is what Tom is.
We shouldn't judge.
LOL

Poor Tom.

You can't put storage under the second flight dufus.
No room.

So each floor is only 40 f2f?

Dark soul has proven without a doubt that he is not an engineer.

He still believes that there is steel reinforcing in the Hoover dam. Dark soul is a fool and a liar but no engineer.

He is a Civil engineer but he pretends to be structural engineer.
His knowledge is in the drainage properties of various types of soil.

Back