Ford F150 v Toyota Tundra

The equivalent of over 150,000 miles on the 3.5 liter engine, then crossing the country to tow logs, back again to tow a trailer at full throttle for 24 hours, back across the country to compete against Chevy and Dodge towing a trailer up an 8-mile grade against a 5.7liter Dode and a 5.3 liter Chevy, then run the Baja 1000, then back across for dyno testing followed by a live tear-down in front of the press, and showing no wear.

http://www.ford.com/new/f-150-torture-test/

I've had the pleasure of driving the company '10 Ford F-350 for the last couple of weeks. Sweet ride for a truck with such muscle.

Isn't that the same as the Silverado with the 5.3L?

My friend has one and likes it better than the Silverado. He's a mechanical engineer and actually understands this stuff, so I defer to his knowledge in the area. He is also a Chevy fan, so he is automatically going to praise them more highly than he would an F-150. I told him if I get a truck, its going to be the 150, and he just advised me to wait a couple of years until certain upgrades are going to be added that will make it more kickass. I probably won't be able to buy such a luxury until at least that timeframe, so its all good.

My friend has one and likes it better than the Silverado. He's a mechanical engineer and actually understands this stuff, so I defer to his knowledge in the area. He is also a Chevy fan, so he is automatically going to praise them more highly than he would an F-150. I told him if I get a truck, its going to be the 150, and he just advised me to wait a couple of years until certain upgrades are going to be added that will make it more kickass. I probably won't be able to buy such a luxury until at least that timeframe, so its all good.
I've been wrenching on cars since I was 16 so I understand this stuff, but "knowing this stuff" is meaningless when you have testing results like the 8000# towing demonstration seen in the video. The F150 with a 3.5L V6 beat the Chevy 5.3L V8 in 0-60, then by 42 seconds in the 8-mile hill climb, making it by far the more powerful driveline package. The GMC Sierra is the same as the Chevy with different trim and badges.

I've been wrenching on cars since I was 16 so I understand this stuff, but "knowing this stuff" is meaningless when you have testing results like the 8000# towing demonstration seen in the video. The F150 with a 3.5L V6 beat the Chevy 5.3L V8 in 0-60, then by 42 seconds in the 8-mile hill climb, making it by far the more powerful driveline package. The GMC Sierra is the same as the Chevy with different trim and badges.

Since the ford has much smaller displacement (less tourque) yet out runs the Chevy, I am inclined to think the Ford's final drive ratio must be much higher (numericaly) than the Chevy. If so, the effect on highend speed would seem severe.

Any ideas on this D.Y.?

Last edited:
Is Dumb Yankees knowledge of automotive engineering as celebrated as his expertise in ballistics?

Since the ford has much smaller displacement (less tourque) yet out runs the Chevy, I am inclined to think the Ford's final drive ratio must be much higher (numericaly) than the Chevy. If so, the effect on highend speed would seem severe.

Any ideas on this D.Y.?
Obviously displacement does not necessarily correlate with torque. The 3.5L Ford engine develops 420#ft and the 5.3L Chevy engine develops 335.

IIRC, the 3.5 EcoBoost is over 400lb/ft from 2000-4500RPM.

They should have kept the name initially used during development, though: the Twin-Force.

Back