Fuck the South

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

I believe that had we punished the evil in the first place, it would have lead to much less resentment far down the line, and would've made it clear that what the south did was wrong. By not punishing them, we confused them, and allowed them to be proud of their heritage of hatred. This is the difference between modern Germany and modern Japan, where many Japanese fail to acknowledge that what they did was wrong because we didn't hang the Emperor, the fucker who started the war.

Besides, nowhere did I say that I wanted the confederate leaders necessarily hanged. Perhaps they should've been given long prison sentences. At the very least, again, they should've been kept out of government. If keeping the blacks down for a fucking century didn't lead to a hundred years of bloodshed and rebellion, I don't see why keeping the confederates in their place would have either. We certainly shouldn't have allowed them to do so, and we should've kept troops stationed in the south for as long as was necessary to allow the blacks to excercise their civil rights.

And I think that land reform in the form of taking the vast tracts owned by the plantations and giving it to the slaves and poor whites would've been an incredibly popular measure that, if anything, would've reduced civil discontent. The plantation owners deserved to be punished. A great side effect of this is that we had an opportunity and a window to establish a much more equal, egalitarian society in the south. We chose not to. And America has paid for our spinelessness and unwillingness to dispense justice for the last 150 years.

Well one of the problems with your assumption, right as it may be in hind sight, is that the north didn't give a fuck about blacks either. We (Lincoln) had a boner to keep the south, so we did.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

I believe that had we punished the evil in the first place, it would have lead to much less resentment far down the line, and would've made it clear that what the south did was wrong. By not punishing them, we confused them, and allowed them to be proud of their heritage of hatred. This is the difference between modern Germany and modern Japan, where many Japanese fail to acknowledge that what they did was wrong because we didn't hang the Emperor, the fucker who started the war.

Besides, nowhere did I say that I wanted the confederate leaders necessarily hanged. Perhaps they should've been given long prison sentences. At the very least, again, they should've been kept out of government. If keeping the blacks down for a fucking century didn't lead to a hundred years of bloodshed and rebellion, I don't see why keeping the confederates in their place would have either. We certainly shouldn't have allowed them to do so, and we should've kept troops stationed in the south for as long as was necessary to allow the blacks to excercise their civil rights.

And I think that land reform in the form of taking the vast tracts owned by the plantations and giving it to the slaves and poor whites would've been an incredibly popular measure that, if anything, would've reduced civil discontent. The plantation owners deserved to be punished. A great side effect of this is that we had an opportunity and a window to establish a much more equal, egalitarian society in the south. We chose not to. And America has paid for our spinelessness and unwillingness to dispense justice for the last 150 years.
Jefferson Davis was imprisoned.

Which is why we lost the Civil War.

That wasn't the reason we went to war, so it can't be the reason we lost. We won, it was just of no ultimate consequence to blacks. I suppose from the ultimate moral position you might be right, but in reality you're not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_acres_and_a_mule

It was actually a Sherman's policy to distribute justice to slavers and take the land they had decided to forfeit with their heinous actions and give it to the people who worked it. Then that evil bastard who should've been fucking hung, Andrew Johson, decided to revoke it, and steal from the blacks to give to slavers, who had no right to it, and should've been greatful not have been hung.

Hey southern United State: YOUR HERITAGE IS HATE!

If you fly a Confederate flag, you're not an American! You're a traitor! We should've hung your slaving forefathers, evil fucker!

Watermark, I love your new screen name. Will Sherman was the greatest Civil War general, and, therefore, my personal favorite.

Sherman > Atlanta

Watermark, I love your new screen name. Will Sherman was the greatest Civil War general, and, therefore, my personal favorite.

Sherman > Atlanta
I tend to favor Sherman too though I think you can make a good argument for Forrest. Though the different generals had different talents. Lee was a genius at tactics....not so good on strategy. Sherman was a genius in strategy, the father of mdern warfare,.....but was not in Lee's league in tactics. McClellan was brilliant at logistics but was a terrible battle field general to say the least. Forrest though was an untutored genius and was the only Confederate general to not be defeated in the field and the only one who did not surrender his command. Grants an odd duck. He was not a great strategist, or a great tactician but we knew how to defeat the south and had the courage and fortitude to do it and that made him a brilliant battle field commander. The one fact I find interesting about the Generals of the civil war is that that winning strategy was devised by a general who retired and never commanded troops during the war but his was the winning strategy and that was Winfield Scott. Scott probably does not get the credit he is due as one of our nations great military leaders.

McClellan was the worst general in the history of the United States, easily outpacing the likes of Custer and so forth.

Lee was not an American general, and therefore doesn't count, unless you are including foreign generals in the ranking. For example, lots of people like to compare Patton to Montgomery and Rommel.

800px-William_Tecumseh_Sherman_and_staff_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

Sherman was such a badass.

Also look at the fucking beards these guys sport. Why the fuck is it 'unprofessional' looking in the military today?

McClellan was the worst general in the history of the United States, easily outpacing the likes of Custer and so forth.

Lee was not an American general, and therefore doesn't count, unless you are including foreign generals in the ranking. For example, lots of people like to compare Patton to Montgomery and Rommel.
McLellan the worst ever? Not by a long shot.

Back