Georgia WON'T be apologizing for slavery this year.

• Thread starter Thread starter TRGLDTE
  • Start date Start date
Yea. And when are they going to apologize to me for coming here and stealing my land. Now all I can do is build gambling facilities.

See, there is no end and at some point we have to get past it and look for tomorrow without dragging up all the negatives of the past. It doesn't take an apology a hundred years later to allow that to happen.
Which was pretty much my point. I don't expect an apology from the government. Why would I? First, it wasn't me. Second, they didn't expect one themselves.

Exactly. I think their resistance to do so is more telling. Its not there is any consequence they'll have to endure. I'm not surprised by these southerners.
What do you mean you're not surprised by these southerners?

Why have they never apologized for the Germans and Italians in camps across the nation? I have family members that were in a work camp in Georgetown, CO while my grandfather served the nation in the military...

They were fewer and usually immigrants of themselves, like much of my family.

They were white. They're still on the hit list.

Which was pretty much my point. I don't expect an apology from the government. Why would I? First, it wasn't me. Second, they didn't expect one themselves.

I think that formerly recognizing that it was wrong is a good thing. Is you're life going to change? No, but maybe 200 - 300 years from now when people study our time, it will have historical significance in studying our current society. Personally, I don't want to be considered a knuckledragger, but that's just me.

You don't have to accept the apology.

The apology, first and foremost, is to survivors (if any), and secondly, to set the historical record right, and say to history and our posterity, that we formally recognize the actions of our government were wrong, and we intend to never repeat them.

I think that formerly recognizing that it was wrong is a good thing. Is you're life going to change? No, but maybe 200 - 300 years from now when people study our time, it will have historical significance in studying our current society. Personally, I don't want to be considered a knuckledragger, but that's just me.
At worst, such an official apology would be an empty, "feel good" gesture. That's why I don't understand the opposition to it.

At worst, such an official apology would be an empty, "feel good" gesture. That's why I don't understand the opposition to it.
I have no opposition to it. I just prefer to keep politicians focusing on such non-issues so we can go about our lives without intervention. As long as they spend time and energy on such fluff, they aren't passing worse legislation, spending more cash that they don't have, taxing us higher promising more spending on education and spending it on raises for themselves, etc.

Therefore any perceieved "opposition" on my part, isn't. It is only raising "issues" with the official apologies. Hopefully we can get enough groups to "demand" apologies that politicians spend all their time hunting for the right words to apologize officially for what people did centuries ago.

I'm not sure what you mean? Can you elaborate? I thought the sentence was quite simple and bottom lined.

You said
Quote:
Exactly. I think their resistance to do so is more telling. Its not there is any consequence they'll have to endure. I'm not surprised by these southerners.

You also said - Typical southern politics.

You are not surprised that these southerners are resisting the effort to make an apology. Why are you not surprised at the resistance? Is that because it's typical southern (racist) politics?

Last edited:
I have no opposition to it. I just prefer to keep politicians focusing on such non-issues so we can go about our lives without intervention. As long as they spend time and energy on such fluff, they aren't passing worse legislation, spending more cash that they don't have, taxing us higher promising more spending on education and spending it on raises for themselves, etc.

Amen to that. Once we're out of Iraq I hope they can focus on stuff like assigning days and months to different groups and causes and apologizing. Then maybe we can go on with our lives.

Therefore any perceieved "opposition" on my part, isn't. It is only raising "issues" with the official apologies. Hopefully we can get enough groups to "demand" apologies that politicians spend all their time hunting for the right words to apologize officially for what people did centuries ago.
Fair enough. Slippery slope may be a logical fallacy -- and it is -- but politics isn't always strictly logical. There's some validity to the fear of setting precedents.

This particular instance, however, has been hanging around for a very long time. It seems to me that withholding the apology -- even if done for good reasons, well intended -- is now counter-productive.

Back