GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I will agree to betray God in this war, however, if you promise to keep and protect an amount of my progeny who hold, collectively, >95% of my genetic code (about 6 spawn, 24 first cousins, etc... etc... or any mixture of progeny that collectively adds to >95%) and agree to draw and quarter anyone who comes within 100 miles of them for at least a millinium. Utilize inbreeding if necessary to keep the percentage high enough. If two people's life are in danger, save the life of the one who holds more of my genetic code. This would mean that the life of one spawn (50% of my genetic code) would trade on the market for the life of four first cousins (1/8 of my genetic code). With that much of my genetic code surviving for so long, it's almost like having 95% of a watermark around. Clearly you can see how this would be beneficial.

You cannot betray me fool. I am all knowing and all powerful. I would threaten to send you to hell, but you already live in Mississippi.... close enough.

Low, you are slow today, WaterMark is taking the piss.

Is it any wonder? The temperature here has plummeted to about 8 degrees and not only have I lost my second set of shoe laces but the maid we employ to keep the lavatory seat warm has complained that she has a rash and has disappeared to seek help from the local witch doctor. Life can be hard.

epePB.jpg

Funny, but not Biblically accurate.

Genesis 2:16-17 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Regardless of whether the story of Adam and Eve is allegorical or literal (I lean toward the former), the distinction between following God's law vs. human rebellion is obvious. In ch. 3 Eve repeated God's commandment to Satan. Although she did not grasp evil, she was clearly aware that to partake of the fruit was to disobey the creator.

One could argue that the fall was ultimately God's plan, at least passively speaking. Without sin, death, pain, etc., we would never understand the profoundness of redemption - God becoming a man to take upon Himself the sins of the world, offering forgiveness freely to those who believe.

Not trying to be dogmatic, but that's the other side of the story, anyway.

If you have infinite power it requires no effort to take on the sins of the world.

Well, one could argue that God is bound by His own law. This does not limit His power; it simply means when He says something, He means it. And since the wages of sin is death according to God's law, nothing less than a sacrifice of infinite worth would suffice to pardon sin.

Even if you don't believe in the atonement, you must admit the Christian God has more concern for mankind than any other god...

yeah, he let's mankind suffer when he really doesn't have to...to me, that is not concern, that is vindictiveness.

The idea that in the infinity of the cosmos that a being with more power than we could possibly conceive would be even slightly interested in us beyond mere curiosity is odd indeed. Have any of you here been concerned about an ant hill, other than how it might impede on your plans?

yeah, he let's mankind suffer when he really doesn't have to...to me, that is not concern, that is vindictiveness.

There's suffering in the world due to sin, which is the invention of man, not of God...

Old Fezzywig said:
The idea that in the infinity of the cosmos that a being with more power than we could possibly conceive would be even slightly interested in us beyond mere curiosity is odd indeed. Have any of you here been concerned about an ant hill, other than how it might impede on your plans?

Interesting point!

Well, one could argue that God is bound by His own law. This does not limit His power; it simply means when He says something, He means it. And since the wages of sin is death according to God's law, nothing less than a sacrifice of infinite worth would suffice to pardon sin.

Even if you don't believe in the atonement, you must admit the Christian God has more concern for mankind than any other god...

Deciding what "other gods" think would be a wholly arbitrary exercise in a Christian universe. Making that statement meaningless, even assuming that God exists.

We should legalize torture. It's clearly just punishment for sins we know you've committed. It's like when my grandpa used to abuse my dad and later found out that my dad wasn't responsible for the thing he had abused him for, "Well, that's for the one we didn't catch him for!"

What a great guy.

If I had created the ant hill in my image (spiritual image) out of nothing- for the intended purpose to have said ant hill grow in my love ...I think it would garner great interest...and this conclusion is from a completely anthropomorphic ability as I cannot completely relate to the idea as God.

That said ant hill, which I love, also has the abilty to corrupt itself and so be good for nothing but destruction unless I provided a way for it be restored- would likewise require my involvement.

If I had created the ant hill in my image (spiritual image) out of nothing- for the intended purpose to have said ant hill grow in my love ...I think it would garner great interest...and this conclusion is from a completely anthropomorphic ability as I cannot completely relate to the idea as God.

That said ant hill, which I love, also has the abilty to corrupt itself and so be good for nothing but destruction unless I provided a way for it be restored- would likewise require my involvement.

An ant hill isn't a good example. If you are infinite, then anything else would literally be nothing compared to you. It wouldn't only be minutely small, it would literally be zero.

Imagine how big the earth is. It takes 11,000 Earth's to go from here to the sun. That unit - about 11k earths - is known as the Astronomical Unit. Now, there are 96 of these astronomical units between the sun and the most distant dwarf planet, Eris. And there are 268,000 between here and the nearest star. At this point, even this huge, unimaginably large distance becomes almost pointlessly small at an astronomical level. 268,000 of these units equals about 4 light years, so the nearest star is about 4 light years away. The galaxy itself is about 100,000 light years across, and we're just on some random part of it. The next closest galaxy is 2 billion light years away. The universe itself is 46 billion light years across.

And here we are, sitting here and thinking, my, this universe was created just for us. Aren't we so important?

PaleBlueDot.jpg

Look at us there. Our loving God created all of this just for us.

A puddle sat it it's hole, and looked about at the world.
'My, this hole seems to fit me perfectly, it must have been created just for me!' the puddle exclaimed, ignorant of the fact that it shaped itself to fit the hole.
As the sun came out and the day warmed, and the puddle began to evaporate, it continued to ponder how perfect the world was and how obviously it was created just for the puddle.
And soon the puddle disappeared into a wisp of steam.

Last edited:

Actually I once read about a scientist who was studying ant hills. While she was amazed at the things that ants could do by just idiotically following their basic instincts (there are no leaders in insect colonies - they all do everything they do by individual will), she found it difficult to find any sympathy for the ants themselves because they were just so goddamn stupid.

And how the hell is an ant hill supposed to "corrupt" itself? Why would I even care?

Back