GOP Governor wants ban on July 4th fireworks

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
G

Guns Guns Guns

Republican Governor Martinez sent a letter last week to municipal leaders around the state asking that they impose bans.

"It makes sense," she said of removing what she called "one more avoidable risk factor."

That's all she can do. State law prevents her from imposing a statewide ban on the sale and use of fireworks.

"Of course, it's political," she told The Associated Press of the battle with state lawmakers over banning fireworks.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/sto...a04e9ca993/NM--New-Mexico-Wildfires-Fireworks

Eh, its not the first ban on fireworks. Georgia doesn't allow fireworks beyond sparklers and the like.

Fireworks stands in Alabama, at the state line, do a booming business every 4th of July & New Years. It seems like most of the tags in the parking lot are from GA. I figure we are getting a little bit of our lotto money back.

Eh, its not the first ban on fireworks. Georgia doesn't allow fireworks beyond sparklers and the like. Fireworks stands in Alabama, at the state line, do a booming business every 4th of July & New Years. It seems like most of the tags in the parking lot are from GA. I figure we are getting a little bit of our lotto money back.

A "booming" business?

Why is it OK for Republicans to ban patriotic fireworks? Are they anti-America?

This ban would cost jobs.

Get the government off our backs!

better than the retarded democrats banning soda served in larger than 16 ounce cups. At least there is a demonstrable danger to using fireworks that almost justify banning.

OMG people are drinking large sodas. Ban them!!

better than the retarded democrats banning soda served in larger than 16 ounce cups. At least there is a demonstrable danger to using fireworks that almost justify banning.

So you are claiming there is no demonstrable danger in consuming mass quantities of soda?

A nanny state apologist?

You suprise me.

there is also a demonstratable danger to using firearms.
But I do not support banning them.

A nanny state apologist? You suprise me. there is also a demonstratable danger to using firearms. But I do not support banning them.

Seems like the "big government oppression" label only applies when the authority lacks an "R" after their name, doesn't it?

So you are claiming there is no demonstrable danger in consuming mass quantities of soda?

I would claim that banning a serving size is ridiculous. I would guess I don't drink more than half a dozen sodas a year. Why can I not buy a 32 oz drink? And those who drink far too much soda are likely to simply buy more of the 16oz cups rather than drink less.

Republican Governor Martinez sent a letter last week to municipal leaders around the state asking that they impose bans.

"It makes sense," she said of removing what she called "one more avoidable risk factor."

That's all she can do. State law prevents her from imposing a statewide ban on the sale and use of fireworks.

"Of course, it's political," she told The Associated Press of the battle with state lawmakers over banning fireworks.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/sto...a04e9ca993/NM--New-Mexico-Wildfires-Fireworks
Stupid bitch.

A "booming" business?

Why is it OK for Republicans to ban patriotic fireworks? Are they anti-America?

This ban would cost jobs.

Get the government off our backs!

The Repubs probably want to save them for Corporation Day or New World Order Day. :D

That's an oxymoron. She's a teabagger. :)
Pervert liberals are teabaggers. This mutant is actually a RINO.

By-the way, shouldn't you be masturbating over this article? It has government control and legislation written all over it. ;)

Eh, its not the first ban on fireworks. Georgia doesn't allow fireworks beyond sparklers and the like.

Fireworks stands in Alabama, at the state line, do a booming business every 4th of July & New Years. It seems like most of the tags in the parking lot are from GA. I figure we are getting a little bit of our lotto money back.

Same here. So we just go to WV or OH to get ours.

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez has spent the last few weeks touring fire-ravaged parts of the state. With each stop, she has been urging people to be careful as the Fourth of July approaches.
Martinez and fire officials gathered in Albuquerque's foothills on Friday to urge New Mexicans to refrain from using fireworks.
Martinez said she plans to push legislation again during the 2013 session that would establish a system by which cities, counties and the state can tailor temporary bans during extreme droughts.

"We should all be able to agree that preventing fires that could devastate our communities is a priority that transcends politics," Martinez said. "New Mexico has already seen two devastating, record-setting fires this year and it is still early in the season."

New Mexico has been struggling with dry conditions in recent years and the last two fire seasons have been record-breakers in terms of the number of acres charred.
Experts say it's not rocket science. With fuels as dry as they are, one spark can result in several square miles of blackened vegetation.

:palm:
So preventing your state from burning down is a bad thing for a governor to push for?

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez has spent the last few weeks touring fire-ravaged parts of the state. With each stop, she has been urging people to be careful as the Fourth of July approaches.
Martinez and fire officials gathered in Albuquerque's foothills on Friday to urge New Mexicans to refrain from using fireworks.
Martinez said she plans to push legislation again during the 2013 session that would establish a system by which cities, counties and the state can tailor temporary bans during extreme droughts.

"We should all be able to agree that preventing fires that could devastate our communities is a priority that transcends politics," Martinez said. "New Mexico has already seen two devastating, record-setting fires this year and it is still early in the season."

New Mexico has been struggling with dry conditions in recent years and the last two fire seasons have been record-breakers in terms of the number of acres charred.
Experts say it's not rocket science. With fuels as dry as they are, one spark can result in several square miles of blackened vegetation.

:palm:
So preventing your state from burning down is a bad thing for a governor to push for?

I should have read the linked article.

With the dry conditions and the problem NM is already having with fires, this seems like a logical thing to do.

My mistake for not reading the article. This is not a restriction of liberty as much as a protective measure. And a temporary one, at that.

I should have read the linked article. With the dry conditions and the problem NM is already having with fires, this seems like a logical thing to do. My mistake for not reading the article. This is not a restriction of liberty as much as a protective measure. And a temporary one, at that.

So if conditions seem to warrant a ban, you're in favor of banning?

Back