Greatest Seafood

Greatest Seafood

• Total voters

/MSG/

Uwaa OmO
Well, I like all of it. So I leave it up to you, the masses (meaning the 3 people who will actually vote), to decide.

tuna. fresh off the boat, cut open right then. best sushi ever. though i will admit, the first time the islanders offered my part of the tuna we caught on the boat on the way home, i nearly grossed out. after that i was fine, they mixed in a bit of "ranch" seasoning, kind of sashimi mix for the south pacific, peas, onions, spices, and i was cool. now, i love high grade nigiri

Well, my choices were limited. Trout is a freshwater fish so I didn't consider that. I love salmon (had it last night for dinner, in fact) but I chose swordfish, disregarding the mercury element for now, because it has such a pleasing texture and mild flavor that lends itself to a wider variety of subtle seasonings. Fresh tuna is great but is extremely difficult to obtain in the Tx panhandle.

I grew up just a few miles from one of the largest lobster fishing regions in the world, and in the summers often went clamdigging at my grandmother's summer cottage on the coast. I'm horribly allergic to shellfish, however, and can't stand even to smell it cooking. If shrimp, scallops, etc., are adjacent to the "swimmy" fish in the butcher's display I'll avoid anything there that day. The last time I inadvertently ingested crustacean, just a tiny amount less than a teaspoonful, I "lost my lunch" for over 18 hours straight. To me it's pure food poisoning. I won't die but for a few hours will wish I would!

Wow, that sucks. Personally the only one I don't like is salmon. I can eat my weight in all the others though.

tuna. fresh off the boat, cut open right then. best sushi ever. though i will admit, the first time the islanders offered my part of the tuna we caught on the boat on the way home, i nearly grossed out. after that i was fine, they mixed in a bit of "ranch" seasoning, kind of sashimi mix for the south pacific, peas, onions, spices, and i was cool. now, i love high grade nigiri

Can't disagree with that. Man, fresh sashimi tuna, real fresh not "restaurant fresh", is top 5 ever.

Well, my choices were limited. Trout is a freshwater fish so I didn't consider that. I love salmon (had it last night for dinner, in fact) but I chose swordfish, disregarding the mercury element for now, because it has such a pleasing texture and mild flavor that lends itself to a wider variety of subtle seasonings. Fresh tuna is great but is extremely difficult to obtain in the Tx panhandle.

I grew up just a few miles from one of the largest lobster fishing regions in the world, and in the summers often went clamdigging at my grandmother's summer cottage on the coast. I'm horribly allergic to shellfish, however, and can't stand even to smell it cooking. If shrimp, scallops, etc., are adjacent to the "swimmy" fish in the butcher's display I'll avoid anything there that day. The last time I inadvertently ingested crustacean, just a tiny amount less than a teaspoonful, I "lost my lunch" for over 18 hours straight. To me it's pure food poisoning. I won't die but for a few hours will wish I would!

Sorry to hear that, you're unfortunate to miss out on the delight of the shellfish. So is my Ma. She can't eat it either, makes her ill. But holy Himiny, it can be a delight of the palette.

Wow, that sucks. Personally the only one I don't like is salmon. I can eat my weight in all the others though.

You no longer are a true man. You're akin to watermark until you enjoy salmon

Choose only one?

Sorry, can't do it. If you had an "All of the above" choice I could be in the poll. Otherwise, I can't begin to choose.

I'm not keen on calamari or anything like. All other fish I pretty much love, but lobster rules.

Some of the best sea food treats I had was when I was visiting my wifes family in the Phils.

One day we went to the market and I bout 1 50Kg bag of oysters and another 50 Kg bag of mussels for, get this, about $11 USD.

My brother in law cooked me Fresh tuna belly be searing in like a steak and serving it medium rare, it was to die for.

We also went to a Restaraunt where the Aussie owner took a Tuna collar, marinated in a soy, ginger, citrus marinade and roasted it on a charcoal grill. Best fish I ever had in my life.

I'm not keen on calamari or anything like. All other fish I pretty much love, but lobster rules.

If you've ever had good calamari you'd say otherwise. Treat yourself to a good Japanese restaurant and order a squid appetizer. They should use meat from a large specimen, and sliced from the central muscle, not those little squiggly legs that they cover with sauce at a cheap Italian restaurant.

Okay, seafood rules. That's all you need to know (not trout, trout sucks but it isn't seafood anyway, nor is crawfish, but they are tasty). Sometimes I wished I still ate meat.

If you've ever had good calamari you'd say otherwise. Treat yourself to a good Japanese restaurant and order a squid appetizer. They should use meat from a large specimen, and sliced from the central muscle, not those little squiggly legs that they cover with sauce at a cheap Italian restaurant.
The rings in calamari are cut from the mantle, some calamari served in restaurants use none of the tentacles and serve only rings from the mantle. The mantle, when first you remove the skin, is best stuffed. I make incredible dishes using stuffed squid mantle.

The rings in calamari are cut from the mantle, some calamari served in restaurants use none of the tentacles and serve only rings from the mantle. The mantle, when first you remove the skin, is best stuffed. I make incredible dishes using stuffed squid mantle.

I was unfamiliar with the terms; thank you for that information.

This will sound rather gauche but the best squid that I've had was at the Japanese restaurant at EPCOT, Disney World. It was a while ago and I forget how he prepared it. The chef explained it to me just as I described.

I was unfamiliar with the terms; thank you for that information.

This will sound rather gauche but the best squid that I've had was at the Japanese restaurant at EPCOT, Disney World. It was a while ago and I forget how he prepared it. The chef explained it to me just as I described.
You cut the mantle and flatten it and make squid steaks. I've had some po'boy sandwiches made from squid mantle as well as Japanese dishes. Squid has an awesome texture when properly prepared, however most calamari is overcooked, soaks in some of the oils and becomes rubbery rather than that nice texture...

Trout is not seafood.
A lot of stuff on the list ain't, but its all good, although I've never had conch.

Trout is good but you have to appreciate an oily fish. It's awesome freshly caught from a cold Appalachian river like the Watauga or the New, cooked over a bed of campfire coals with wild onions.

Yea and it's gotta be absolutely Fresh. Frozen squid taste like rubber and day old squid has that nasty strong flavor.

Back