Greatest Seafood

Greatest Seafood

• Total voters
A lot of stuff on the list ain't, but its all good, although I've never had conch.

Trout is good but you have to appreciate an oily fish. It's awesome freshly caught from a cold Appalachian river like the Watauga or the New, cooked over a bed of campfire coals with wild onions.
Conk fritters are awesome. Most decent sea food places have them.

And COME ON DAMO......don't be such a damned literalist. Will it make you happy if we call it "Aquatic Food"?

Dishes I make from the list:
Crawfish - Etouffe, Jambalaya, Spaghetti (way better than you think), Gumbo
Oysters (raw on the half shell) - Nothing.
Calamari - Stuffed Squid in marinara served over pasta. Deep fried calamari, Po' Boy sandwiches...
Muscles - Alfredo
Clams - Alfredo, Chowder (New England, not that crappy Boston stuff).
Swordfish - This is best served as a steak, however I make a dish where along with deep fried lobster tail it is served on either rice or Oscared (over potatoes) with a white sauce. (This was one of my favorite dishes back when I ate meat, it is very decadent, delicious, and fattening...)
Shark - This is also best served as a steak but can replace the swordfish in the dish above.
Lobster - Dish above, just baked lobster tail served with steak, grilled lobster.
Softshell Crab - deep fried.
King Crab - Just Crab... I also use the meat in alfredo.
Tuna (not canned) - Not much. I can cook it, but I just don't use it often.
Trout - Nothing at all, trout is not fit for food.
Salmon - Like Tuna I don't often use it but there are some good dishes I can prepare with this.
Frog Legs - Yum... Deep fried frog legs.
Conch - Never had this.

The rings in calamari are cut from the mantle, some calamari served in restaurants use none of the tentacles and serve only rings from the mantle. The mantle, when first you remove the skin, is best stuffed. I make incredible dishes using stuffed squid mantle.

Sheesh! Is there anything you AREN'T an authority on?

Fresh, and I do mean FRESH tuna in sushi; served simply as sashimi, or seared in a salad rocks! Sashimi with shredded daikon, wasabi, and soy with a big bowl of steamed rice rocks.

I get salmoned out at times, as well as crabbed out, but I do love both locally. Swordfish is the steak of seafood and is good for a hearty meal, but oysters bbq'd, Rockefeller, or as a local haunt here calls them Oysters Bingo, are tops too.

Fresh, and I do mean FRESH tuna in sushi; served simply as sashimi, or seared in a salad rocks! Sashimi with shredded daikon, wasabi, and soy with a big bowl of steamed rice rocks.

I get salmoned out at times, as well as crabbed out, but I do love both locally. Swordfish is the steak of seafood and is good for a hearty meal, but oysters bbq'd, Rockefeller, or as a local haunt here calls them Oysters Bingo, are tops too.
I believe that life is best served as a learning opportunity and I seize every opportunity to learn anything that I can, and cooking is a joy. The only reason I know this is because I use squid in dishes that I prepare for my family who aren't vegetarians. Seafood was a pleasure I didn't have much as a child, we were extremely poor, when I overcame that problem I learned how to prepare my favorite dishes... unfortunately, later, I learned my genetics just didn't allow room for cholesterol and I turned into an ovo-lacto vegetarian so I could survive a bit longer and learn ever more stuff (and be the father that I always wanted to be).

I may need to get that Oyster recipe... I don't make anything from them because I haven't really tried.

Dishes I make from the list:
Crawfish - Etouffe, Jambalaya, Linquine in a spicy Alfredo sauce, Gumbo
Oysters (raw on the half shell) - with a spritz of citrus and a dab of horse radish or as a ceveche like preperation. I know it's cooked but Oyster Rocefeller and fried oyster Po Boys rock.
Calamari - braised asian style and served on jasmin rice seasoned with saffron
Muscles - Steamed in a white wine/butter sauce or asian style in black bean paste or stir fried in chilli paste and tossed in pasta.
Clams - Steamed and served with drawn butter
Swordfish - I agree with Damo, as a steak. But marinated in citrus/soy/ginger, charcoal broiled and served with a habenaro mango salsa.
Shark - Shark fin soup. The best soup in the world. I wish I was in an income bracket to eat this regularly.
Lobster - The king of crustaceans adn the mind fairly boggles at it's versatility.
Softshell Crab - tempura fried and served in a sushi roll with avacado, cucumber and a spicy mayo.
King Crab - I'm a purist with King Crab. Just steamed and served with drawn butter. If you let it cool down to cook in something else it loses half it's flaver and that's a waste. You can use other, lesser crabs for those recipes.
Tuna - Damo doesn't know what he's missing here. the buttery smooth texture with slightly piquent flavor but the hardiness of a good beef steak.....SUSHI GRADE TUNA RULES!! The less prep the better. I either slice it thin and serve it as nigiri or I take a stake, cover it liberally in fresh coarsly cracked black pepper and sear it in a super hot pan with a high temp but light oil just long enough to carmalize both sides and serve rare. I have to admit. The Tuna Collar cooked like the Swordfish steaks above is to die for.
Trout - Damo is an idiot. A trout shore lunch is one of the best fish you'll ever eat.
Salmon - I'm not the biggest Salmon fan in the world but that's because here in the midwest it's almost always over cooked. I charcoal grilled some salmon on cedar planks touched off at the end with a white wine lemon/butter sauce. Was quite good.
Frog Legs - Frog Leg Adobo. Season some frog legs with salt n pepper, brown in skillet and remove. sautee some garlic, onion and ginger till fragrant. add some chicken stock (or seafood stock if you can get it or make it), soy sauce, bring to boil and simmer till frog legs are fork tender. Serve on Jasmin rice spooning liberal amounts of the sauce on the rice.
Conch - Coch fritters!!!!

tuna. fresh off the boat, cut open right then. best sushi ever. though i will admit, the first time the islanders offered my part of the tuna we caught on the boat on the way home, i nearly grossed out. after that i was fine, they mixed in a bit of "ranch" seasoning, kind of sashimi mix for the south pacific, peas, onions, spices, and i was cool. now, i love high grade nigiri

Ive eaten it still warm... It is good... But I voted Swordfish.

I can't pick just one of those, they (with the one exception of trout) are all wonderful.
What don't you like about trout? I have to admit that farm raised trout is not the best but wild trout is one of my favorite fish.

I had to say there's a northern bias to this list in that it doesn't include catfish. Southern fried catfish and hush puppies are righteous good.

What don't you like about trout? I have to admit that farm raised trout is not the best but wild trout is one of my favorite fish.

I had to say there's a northern bias to this list in that it doesn't include catfish. Southern fried catfish and hush puppies are righteous good.
I just don't like it. Some people just don't like some things, ya know? And catfish is AWESOME.

I may need to get that Oyster recipe... I don't make anything from them because I haven't really tried.

I come from a very large family. I understand learning to cook and being appreciative of what you can get.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/65443/oysters-bingo-fried-oysters/recipe/

Here is a recipe for them. Not from the restaurant in my area, but still a recipe for them

The restaurant here serves them with this out of this world garlic aiola sauce that I don't see here. They're served in the half shell.

Well yeah. Plus I've never been very successful at fishing. I tend to get more reading in than actual fishing.

Then catfish fishing is for you. Unlike the active & aggressive fishing, catfishing is best when you cast out for the main channel or deep water in a river, and wait for the big bite to come.

I have caught some big ones, but they are best at between 4 & 10 lbs, as far as eating them goes. I will occasionally go up to Decatur AL and fish at the Joe Wheeler Dam. I have 2 or 3 rods set up and cast out. Rod holders to keep the tip of the rod up, and I will use the clamp on bells if I am gonna read. A good book and a few cold beers make the day better.

Grilled catfish with some cajun seasoning is the best.

Back