Ha! Put this in your pipe and smoke it Billy!

I beg your pardon.

Pittsburgh Ranked Smartest City in America
According to data on the 100 most populous cities in the U.S., Pittsburgh is the brainiest of the bunch.

Now we’re the pound-for-pound smartest city in America, according to data compiled by Movoto. The prolific real-estate website mined data from the following criteria to formulate its rankings:

• Universities and colleges per person
  • Libraries per person
  • Education level
  • Media per person (newspapers, TV, radio, magazines)
  • Museums per person
  • Public school rank

Pittsburgh topped the list of brainy cities, followed by Orlando; Washington, D.C.; Atlanta; and Honolulu.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/B...3/Pittsburgh-Ranked-Smartest-City-in-America/

Wouldn't a Pittsburgh magazine be just a tad partial?

I expect it's a bit like where I am, post industrial.
Somewhat. Pittsburgh is still a major steel and coal center. It's just they can produce more steel now with a handfull on integrated mills with far less pollution and waste (and labor) than they could a generation ago.

Somewhat. Pittsburgh is still a major steel and coal center. It's just they can produce more steel now with a handfull on integrated mills with far less pollution and waste (and labor) than they could a generation ago.

It has a lot of other attractions. For an architecture nut like me, it has a lot of older neighborhoods and more interesting buildings downtown than Columbus has. However, traffic is a bitch in Pittsburgh, esp. in the winter. Not a place I would want to commute!

It has a lot of other attractions. For an architecture nut like me, it has a lot of older neighborhoods and more interesting buildings downtown than Columbus has. However, traffic is a bitch in Pittsburgh, esp. in the winter. Not a place I would want to commute!
That was my experience with Pittsburgh. Lots of bottle necks in the road system there.

Columbus is much more of a white collar City than most of the other large Midwestern cities. That and we have more diversity, and I mean more than just ethic diversity, than most cities. We do have lots of ethnic diversity but he also have lots of cultural diversity, religious diversity, economic diversity, educational divesity, political diversity, etc, etc.

I expect it's a bit like where I am, post industrial.
The Columbus region is quite popular with British expats. Particularly the region south east of here. They say it reminds them a lot of the midlands back home. Since I've never been to the midlands of England I'm not sure what they mean other than that this region is forested and hilly.

That was my experience with Pittsburgh. Lots of bottle necks in the road system there.

Columbus is much more of a white collar City than most of the other large Midwestern cities. That and we have more diversity, and I mean more than just ethic diversity, than most cities. We do have lots of ethnic diversity but he also have lots of cultural diversity, religious diversity, economic diversity, educational divesity, political diversity, etc, etc.

Which is what I love about the place. I work on the near east side (Capital U) my wife works for Columbus state.....lots of diversity downtown and near east side. My son's charter high school is also near east side, lots of diversity in his school.

But I still reserve the right to crack on the place.

I used to. But I'm not even in Detroit anymore. Moved about an hour north years ago.

Detroit also has some fantastic architecture and some fantastic history. Being a fan of the automobile has made me a (very minor) fan of Detroit. Actually, I just like the Midwest in general.

Back